Deduction for?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I wasn't really writing about your "walk" I would never criticize something I have not seen. :eek: I was commenting on some of the really way out there stuff I have seen of Youtube. Yours just sounds dignified and in keeping with the USAG compulsory routines.:)

Hope no offense was taken:(, I think I need to use more emoticons:confused:, so much meaning is lost in writing:eek:. How did people cope when all they had was the telephone or morse code!!! :D

:eek:I am not sure how anyone coped before cell phones much less morse code!
LOL
No offense taken..... and BTW.... we salute off the floor too!
.... hmmmm...
:confused:

Something else just dawned on me...:D Here in Quebec, our girls stand at the edge of the floor with their coach, when the judge raises her arm the gymnast salutes, then walks onto the floor to her start position. Therefore, I suppose, the sctual walk on could be considered part of the routine.

I have noticed on Youtube that in the US, gymnasts salute from the place where they will begin their routine.

Odd the difference :confused:. Does it make any difference?

Uh...I've coached all over the US, and I've never seen a gymnast salute while on the floor...always from the side. It's pretty standard.

In my opinion, it's called ARTISTIC gymnastics for a reason. The kids need to look good walking on/off the floor and, as a coach, I make them hold their end pose for 3 full seconds. It's a show, and you never know who's watching and when.

I also judge, and nothing is more annoying than a kid stomping out on the floor, flashing their teeth a few times, and then stomping off the floor when I'm obligated to watch them. It's all about impression and presentation, and having pride in all the hard work they did in the gym. It's the "icing on the cake". Of course, it can only be pulled off if the work WAS done in the gym in the first place.

In my opinion, it's called ARTISTIC gymnastics for a reason. The kids need to look good walking on/off the floor and, as a coach, I make them hold their end pose for 3 full seconds. It's a show, and you never know who's watching and when.

I also judge, and nothing is more annoying than a kid stomping out on the floor, flashing their teeth a few times, and then stomping off the floor when I'm obligated to watch them. It's all about impression and presentation, and having pride in all the hard work they did in the gym. It's the "icing on the cake". Of course, it can only be pulled off if the work WAS done in the gym in the first place.[/quote]

My DD's Coach has the girls hold their end poses for 3 full seconds. I dont see that very often. But I like it! I agree it is the end to a show!

I read your quote to my DD. She agreed. She likes to 'Show it off' on the floor! and her 9.025 in her level 7 floor routine has proven it!

I wish coaches would work more on the "showmanship" angle. Most kids are not natural "showmen" and they need to taught how to perform as well as how to do the skills.

Anybody have coaches that do this?

One of our coaches is a former Collegiate Gymnast. She went to Florida on a full ride. She is such an inspiration to all the girls!

She really works on the Presentation part. Chin up, shoulders back, finishing skills, pretty fingers.. all of that.

We also used to have a former ballerina that was a coach. She really worked with the grils on Dance.

Finally we play 'games' once and a while - the smile game and the eye contact game. Alll the girls line up around the floor while one does a floor routine. And the goal is to smile or make eye contact with everyone. Once the gymnast who is doing her routine has made eye contact with someone they sit down. when everyone is down they standback up and do it again. The winner is the one who can make everyone sit down the most.

I think it help to 'show off' the routines!

I wish coaches would work more on the "showmanship" angle. Most kids are not natural "showmen" and they need to taught how to perform as well as how to do the skills.

Anybody have coaches that do this?

Guilty!

I taught my lv 4s the skills and routines as early as possible so that we could spend every day not just learning skills but polishing and perfecting and popping the head up to fit the music and keeping their head and chin up through the routine and dancing through the dance!

I feel that it has made the difference in all the girls scores and it shows in their performances!

I feel it is important! Correction... I feel it makes the routines!

I had a girl that was super strong on all of her skills but looked down on the floor and really all of the skills on all of the events (she was shy and a little nervous and young.) We worked on making the "showmanship" part of her routines and now she is winning all arounds like crazy!

Make sure all your dd's know just how important it is to sell the routine! I know I do for my girls!

Our coaches do work on the showmanship. There are a few girls that don't show well and they are always telling them to show their smiles and attitude. Our girls have recieved good comments for this. I think that it does make a difference that all of our gymnast have to take Jazz and Ballet classes to be on team. I am always hearing comments from other parents how they like my daughter's attitude in her floor routine, and wish their kids could do that. I did find in general deductions for Level 5 and up that there is up to .15 deduction for lack of the quality of expression, emotion, focus on floor and beam.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back