WAG Deduction on floor for "cheerleading"????

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well to add to the story, Sophia followed OP's daughters spunky routine at regions and the judges deducted .3 for lack of facial expression (no smiling). The coach inquired and that is what the judge told her. So in Region 4 you can't be too happy or not happy enough. By the way....Sophia has dramatic music and smiling through it would look ridiculous.

Sorry to beat my drum but, facial expression and artistry of dance are things that should not be judged. Let's just judge the skills and documented required presentation (ie toe point). To lose points for smiling or not smiling is ridiculous.

Well to add to the story, Sophia followed OP's daughters spunky routine at regions and the judges deducted .3 for lack of facial expression (no smiling). The coach inquired and that is what the judge told her. So in Region 4 you can't be too happy or not happy enough. By the way....Sophia has dramatic music and smiling through it would look ridiculous.

That is ridiculous. Her routine is beautiful, smiling would make her look insane.

How frustrating!!

I particularly don't like when a judge is looking for one type of expression through routines. How boring would this sport be if every kid plastered on a smile, or every kid was over the top serious. Floor in particular should be about that gymnast expressing herself. In my own DD's case, she is a young optional, who is really serious. One of her coaches is on her about smiling, and I crack up every time I see her do it, because it is not natural on her. She goes out there to do her job. She doesn't look angry, but she's not a "cheerleader" at all. I can see deducting for expressions that don't fit the routine, maybe...but just because a judge doesn't prefer that type of expression is wrong!

So I had a competition yesterday. One of the judges was someone I coach with. She told me they were though on artistry this weekend, and there were only 3 people not to get artistry deductions. One upbeat routine (mine), one halloween/scary routine (got 1st) and one in the middle (got 4th). What she looked for with artistry was performing, especially to the music. Not like you can swap the songs and nothing is going on. And I didn't get any deductions for cheerleading

Sorry to beat my drum but, facial expression and artistry of dance are things that should not be judged. Let's just judge the skills and documented required presentation (ie toe point). To lose points for smiling or not smiling is ridiculous.
Exactly. Sophia said...Mom is this a pagent or a sport? She also said we don't deduct male gymnasts when they look like they are pissed through their whole routine!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back