Coaches deduction question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmomntc2e6

Moderator/Proud Parent
Hi -

my dd is L3. She had a really good meet yesterday. I have a quick question on deductions for a spot. She hit her bar routine great except needed a spot on the front mill circle. She scored a 7.6. I was trying to figure what she may have gotten had she been able to do the mill circle w/o a spot.

thanks

Was the spot a touch or did it look like the coach had to "do the skill" for her? It's 0.5 off for just a spot, but if the spot was heavy, she could have lost the value of the element, which would be a larger deduction.

My guess was .50, a quick Google search provided the following...

SPOTTING DEDUCTIONS - LEVELS 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 - BARS - BEAM - FLOOR

[FONT=Arial,Arial]Coach spotting gymnast during routine (touch) 0.50 [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]Plus deduction for any part of complete element assisted by the coach. The maximum deduction of a single Element performed is not to exceed the value of the element minus .10. Example – Value of an element is .60, maximum deduction of .50 (this does not include deduction for fall, if any) Even though the gymnast will receive a 0.50 deduction for any touch or spot, the stated deductions will allow the gymnast to receive partial credit for any part of any element that she completed unassisted at the judge’s discretion.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]If a gymnast falls while being spotted on any element, she would only receive 0.50 deduction for the fall along with any deductions for incomplete element, not to exceed the value of the element minus .10. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]A bit like reading tax law to me![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]Maybe others can help....[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]Either[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][A] .50 for the touch...PLUS up to another .50 taken from the value of the skill itself?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]-or-[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]....eh, maybe not a B? That word "Plus" would certainly indicate that there is a straight .50, plus value lost for the skill itself[/FONT]

(note: this was a 2005 USAG document)

She got almost all the way around then bent her lead knee and fell backwards (kinda hanging w/ her knee over the bar) coach pushed her up. Then she finished w/o any help - cut her leg back alone.

.5, but if a spot was necessarily to complete the skill, there were probably execution errors. The value of the element deductions depend on the extent of the spotting. In the example the value of the element is .6, so the value of the element minus .1 is .5, but not all elements will have this value. I have no idea what the mill circle is valued at in L3 but since it's a major circling element I would imagine it's .8. Making value - .1 = .7. How much of .7 would be taken for assisted element would be an "up to" scenario, ranging from a small tap as a psychological spot to completely facilitating the element.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back