WAG Deductions...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So my sister and I are trying to figure out where her deductions were taken on her level five floor routine. I took a video of it, and her tumbling was pretty solid, yet she still scored an 8.3. Throughout level four she was an average scorer too, but normally the 8.7-8.9 range.

She went first up and came in last place on floor, but her tumbling definitely was not last place, and her leap/jumps/turn/back extension roll were all fine. Probably .1-.2 deduction on each, but nothing too major.

The one thing I did notice is that while she has the "pretty fingers", she folded her wrist down throughout the whole routine which looked quite ugly. Do judges deduct on this?

And could it just be that the judges just don't like her presentation or something? Because we are honestly confused at her score...

I must also add, the reason we are stuck on this one score is because she only did one meet of five this year, and last season she was a low to average scorer in level four. She wants to figure her floor/ built in deductions out so she can at least break 9s in optionals.

We are often surprised at scores, but I have to say, as soon as my daughter sees her (or someone else's) video, she can point out deductions to me that I would never see. And she is surprisingly accurate at guessing scores.

If you want to send a video, please do and I'll have her give you some feedback. There are also coaches/judges on CB who would likely be willing to do the same if you ask. I totally understand not being comfortable posting videos on a public forum.
(Daughter is 18, by the way.)

We are often surprised at scores, but I have to say, as soon as my daughter sees her (or someone else's) video, she can point out deductions to me that I would never see. And she is surprisingly accurate at guessing scores.

If you want to send a video, please do and I'll have her give you some feedback. There are also coaches/judges on CB who would likely be willing to do the same if you ask. I totally understand not being comfortable posting videos on a public forum.
(Daughter is 18, by the way.)
Thank you for your offer, that would be great.

I must also add, the reason we are stuck on this one score is because she only did one meet of five this year, and last season she was a low to average scorer in level four. She wants to figure her floor/ built in deductions out so she can at least break 9s in optionals.

It's great to try and figure out what deductions she got and what to correct for the future, but honestly, so many girls get "10th-d to death" in levels 4 and 5 then go on to score much better in optionals. My own daughter for example came into JO as a level 4 from xcel silver and it was rough. She did manage to score out of 4 and move on to 5 in the same season and she actually did better in 5 but still disappointingly low scores. Especially compared to the very high scores she recieved in xcel. The next season she did much better in L6, getting low 9's on her weaker events (vault and floor) and middle 9's on her stronger events (bars and beam), then Last season in L7 improved her scores even more and placed in every event at regionals and got lots of medals in top 3. So, keep working hard, make the corrections best she can and just try to conform enough to get those scores to qualify out of compulsories. Then focus on having good form and meeting all the requirements optionals and I bet she'll see an improvement in optionals. Good luck!!

It's great to try and figure out what deductions she got and what to correct for the future, but honestly, so many girls get "10th-d to death" in levels 4 and 5 then go on to score much better in optionals. My own daughter for example came into JO as a level 4 from xcel silver and it was rough. She did manage to score out of 4 and move on to 5 in the same season and she actually did better in 5 but still disappointingly low scores. Especially compared to the very high scores she recieved in xcel. The next season she did much better in L6, getting low 9's on her weaker events (vault and floor) and middle 9's on her stronger events (bars and beam), then Last season in L7 improved her scores even more and placed in every event at regionals and got lots of medals in top 3. So, keep working hard, make the corrections best she can and just try to conform enough to get those scores to qualify out of compulsories. Then focus on having good form and meeting all the requirements optionals and I bet she'll see an improvement in optionals. Good luck!!
Honestly, this sounds like her. She was in xcel bronze, scored well, then was in level four and scored pretty low compared to what she was used to. She is going into level seven and has all her skill requirements and is trying to clean up.

Thanks for the encouraging message, I will show her this! She's hoping she scores better in optionals with being able to have her own routines catered to her strengths.

My kiddo was scoring in 34/low 35 range for Level 3 and 4 (barely) scored out of 5 and now does well in optionals consistently 36s and would be 37s if it weren't for beam lol. Some kids just aren't compulsory kids and that's ok! Thats why I apprecaite gyms that dont have super strict move up requirements to get to optionals.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back