MAG Delaying back twisting?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

Brandon

Coach
Gymnast
I used to twist incredibly late, but as I've gotten older, I seem to be twisting earlier and earlier. Lately I've been twisting straight off the floor on my fulls and double fulls. Any drills or advice on how to re train my body to twist later? I'd like to wait until my toes hit horizontal in front of me at least.

remember when you said that most of this stuff was easy for you???

Layout until you see the floor and then twist.
I don't see the floor until I do 3/4 of the layout for some reason. That's a bit too late to double. I'll try some fulls like that though.
remember when you said that most of this stuff was easy for you???

Not particularly, no. But it did used to be easy for me. I've gotten into a bad habit with my twisting lately, I'm just trying to break it.

I don't see the floor until I do 3/4 of the layout. That's a bit too late to double. I'll try some fulls.......

One of the reasons gymnastics is a difficult sport is how the athlete perceives what it takes to do a skill and what they think they're doing vs what they're really doing. Think about that for a day or two and see if you may be thinking yourself right out of the best solutions for skills that have you puzzled, because you know something..... but don't.

Like this.....

Geez, I can't seem to get all the way around on my standing bhs. Hmm, maybe if I throw my head earlier I'll have enough of a "head" start to make it around all the way.

And then.....

Rats, I'm still not making it even though I'm trying as hard as I can to get it around. I'll just have to keep trying and get better at throwing my head and chest around.

So that's a pretty common problem that needs to be over come when a beginner is trying to learn a bhs. They're so darn certain they have it figured out and know what they're doing, that they completely over look any suggestion that doesn't fit their model of how it should be done and resist opinion about what their attempt looks like.

In other words.... You may think you can't see the floor until 3/4, but I'll bet you it's more like a bit before vertical. If you see the floor a bit before vertical you'll take 3/100 of a second (or there abouts) to react and do anything that make the twist happen. By the time you complete your reaction process you'll be just past vertical and have plenty of time to twist. Maybe not a 2/1, but odds are that you'll begin to anticipate "seeing the floor" and will start your twist when you're about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way into your layout.

The tendency is to anticipate and go earlier over a period of months. That's why you have it, and then lose it. Get it straightened out doing the "see the floor" thing and when you get it figured out do another 150-200 (no, not in one week) before adding more twist. Once you get that far into the process you'll need to have days where you limit your work to seeing the floor and doing only a full. Maybe one day with fulls, and one day with full+, then one day with fulls and two days with full+.... repeat that pattern for a very long time.... like 8-12 months, or 1600 tumble runs portioned out as described above.

One of the reasons gymnastics is a difficult sport is how the athlete perceives what it takes to do a skill and what they think they're doing vs what they're really doing. Think about that for a day or two and see if you may be thinking yourself right out of the best solutions for skills that have you puzzled, because you know something..... but don't.

Like this.....

Geez, I can't seem to get all the way around on my standing bhs. Hmm, maybe if I throw my head earlier I'll have enough of a "head" start to make it around all the way.

And then.....

Rats, I'm still not making it even though I'm trying as hard as I can to get it around. I'll just have to keep trying and get better at throwing my head and chest around.

So that's a pretty common problem that needs to be over come when a beginner is trying to learn a bhs. They're so darn certain they have it figured out and know what they're doing, that they completely over look any suggestion that doesn't fit their model of how it should be done and resist opinion about what their attempt looks like.

In other words.... You may think you can't see the floor until 3/4, but I'll bet you it's more like a bit before vertical. If you see the floor a bit before vertical you'll take 3/100 of a second (or there abouts) to react and do anything that make the twist happen. By the time you complete your reaction process you'll be just past vertical and have plenty of time to twist. Maybe not a 2/1, but odds are that you'll begin to anticipate "seeing the floor" and will start your twist when you're about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way into your layout.

The tendency is to anticipate and go earlier over a period of months. That's why you have it, and then lose it. Get it straightened out doing the "see the floor" thing and when you get it figured out do another 150-200 (no, not in one week) before adding more twist. Once you get that far into the process you'll need to have days where you limit your work to seeing the floor and doing only a full. Maybe one day with fulls, and one day with full+, then one day with fulls and two days with full+.... repeat that pattern for a very long time.... like 8-12 months, or 1600 tumble runs portioned out as described above.
Fair point! Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely try it out.

It's just about the #1 detour in the trip to "total gymnastitude," and I can fairly say I was a victim of it my first 4 years in the sport.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back