Parents Delicate situation, once they hit puberty.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter (14) just started her period 3 months ago. It's been extremely light, has only lasted 3 days (and shockingly, exactly on time 2 months in a row!)

In my eyes, she could get away with a pantiliner! But she is so concerned that it will show or leak through, she went right to a tampon! Honestly, I was shocked that she was willing to try the first time and had essentially no problem. We found a great brand (Kotex in a black box with bright colored wrappers, in case anyone's wondering!) and it was pretty easy for her.

She has worn shorts over her leo to practice and it's been fine.

As for the pantiliner showing, I will say, she had on leggings and honestly, you sort of could 'see' the liner. So I think she wouldn't be confortable at a meet with a liner in a leo. I do know that some of the girls wear their shorts over their leo at a meet until it's their turn to actually compete. As an adult, I put two and two together but frankly, I think the girls have no clue, they're so in the meet zone, lol!

I know that a few team girls have special undies for under the leo (skin color or leo color) but my daugher doesn't like the feel.

I'd say the sooner they get comfortable with the tampon, the easier it will be for them...just my two cents!

Shelovestoflip - I am afraid this thread is going to get shut down, so I will send you a private message on this topic. :)

This is a really important topic, and I hope most mothers are as proactive as you all are! Some girls will ask their friends or figure it out, but others are more shy and if you teach them to feel ashamed they will and it might have bad consequences.

I quit swim team (which I loved) when I was 14 because of my period. I asked my mom to buy me tampons, and she got me the most inappropriate product for a newbie possible. I spent an hour in the bathroom crying, and never went back to swim practice. My mom didn't ask me why. I was too ashamed to ask her for more help, and I couldn't ask my friends either. At the time I felt like it was my own personal failure, it didn't occur to me that my mother should have been more involved. I'm sure other girls went through similar things, and it shouldn't happen!

My girls are still little but I know that when the time comes I am going to make sure they have all the support they need.. and I may need the support of a community like this one.. depending on what sport they are into (too early to know).

My gymnast started at 12, I was worried about all of this too, but it has been no big deal :) Justice used to make narrow cut panties that were great under leotards, now we buy nude ones from VS that work well. Panty liners work great for the 1st year, after that she learned to use a tampon. Our girls wear shorts at practice so I was only worried about competitions. It has been fine though!

I have not heard of this hormone. What is it Aussie_coach?

Its not a hormone, the pill is called primolutN and there are not serious side effects. In fact there are no side effects, they are used commonly with kids as young as 12 without a problem. It is not a long term pill like the pill. It is taken for a day or so.

Its not a hormone, the pill is called primolutN and there are not serious side effects. In fact there are no side effects, they are used commonly with kids as young as 12 without a problem. It is not a long term pill like the pill. It is taken for a day or so.
Googled it and it is definitely a hormone and can have side effects. Not that I'm saying it's bad or that I wouldn't let my DD use it. Just that people should know what it is.

I would be skeptical recommending any medication to strangers on the web. That said, the rest of this thread has affects the majority of our members and it has been a good discussion.

It's a progesterone only pill - so the same as the 'Mini pill' and would therefore have the same potential side effects.

I would be skeptical recommending any medication to strangers on the web. That said, the rest of this thread has affects the majority of our members and it has been a good discussion.

This medication does require a doctors prescription. People are not able to just go out and try it, they would need to ensure a doctor has checked that it is suitable for them first.

I'm glad Aussie_coach mentioned it so we can look it up if needed when the time comes. I can see if a girl's periods are particularly painful or PMS-y, that a parent might make a cost/benefit analysis in favor of some progestin supplementation to get her smoothly through a meet if it would keep her enthusiastic about a sport. Sort of as a last resort, you know?

Point taken that it is a hormone. My point was just that it wasn't an over the counter remedy that you can get from a naturopath or anything like that. I certainly would never reccomend that you try to treat anything yourselves but if the proble, causes enough concern for your daughter, a visit to the doctor to discuss your options can be helpful.

the reality is we have had many girls who have come very close to dropping out of the sport as a result of this problem and a trip to the doctor has kept them in the sport.

Perhaps a more viable alternative would be to convince the authorities that its time to revise the dress code for gymnastics. Males wear shorts when they compete and it does not seem to hinder the judges ability to accurately judge their routines. Puberty changes are not the only thing that makes girls feel u comfortable about wearing a leotard.

Perhaps a more viable alternative would be to convince the authorities that its time to revise the dress code for gymnastics. Males wear shorts when they compete and it does not seem to hinder the judges ability to accurately judge their routines. Puberty changes are not the only thing that makes girls feel u comfortable about wearing a leotard.

I agree, although actually I prefer the knee length, skintight leggings that are becoming popular. They look great and very professional.

It is a hormone. with some serious side effects as I said before.
I honestly can't believe anyone would risk a pharmaceutical drug for their child to be more comfortable in a gym meet. sorry if that offends. but here we will work on the comfort level of using tampons, and special leo undies.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back