Parents Delicate situation, once they hit puberty.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

RileyG

Proud Parent
so the no underwear thread got me wondering. what do you do if your dd has her time of the month on competition day? and the whole shaving thing. uggggg. it just doesn't feel right for my baby to have to shave.:eek:

depends on the level, I know last comp one of our girls got her period just as she was about to compete poor lamb . :eek:

Another girl who wasn't competeing lent her her pants and the coach had a quiet word with the judges and she competed with her gym shorts on as well.

Pink and Fluffy is only 9 so I have yet to croass that bridge.

Why will it be pulled? these are real situations girls deal with and us moms too. no need to make it into something it is not. its life :)

LOL thanks for the link, but I didn't need a lesson on mensturation and using products! that has good info though. I guess I wasn't clear. I asked on the other thread if they get deducted if undies show. because at that time of month dd would have to wear undies under leo. no getting around it unless she used a different type of product which she is not ready for.

over here you can buy very discrete pant liners designed for "skimpy" underwear, at that young an age their periods are usually ( I know there will be exceptions, but usually) lighter than older girls so they should suffice and can be attched to the leo gusset direct - another reason why I always get/make leos with gussets

Yes deduction for underwear of any kind eg bra strap etc
Luckily dd didn't start till 15. Although on a comp day (!)
Had to go with the more intrusive option. But all fine on the day.
(she wanted to compete well more than worrying about the other embarrassment - to coin gymbeemom saying!)

I'd look into matching "trunks" or tank that are the same color and intended for wear under the comp leo. Possibly the comp leotard company offers these as an accessory to their comp leotards.

I think most girls use a very slim teen version and then discrete underwear.

My daughter has been dealing with this issue for many years. During practice she just wears undies under her leo with a pair of shorts. Even if it's a 'no shorts' day, her coaches are very understanding about the situation. At competition, her coach requires all team girls to wear matching briefs under their leos. You can purchase the briefs from any of the major leo suppliers. That helps solve the problem.

Sent from my MB855 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Gk sells nude tank liners which work very well. My dd's optional team all have them to wear under their white competition leos.

If your kid is doing competitive gymnastics as a teenager, her underwear isn't going to be showing...she's gonna figure it out by then, and she's gonna be wearing some kind of underwear that doesn't show. Get the proper undergarments that are made to go under leos now though.

I'd sew a cloth pad into competition briefs, or get a seamstress to do it, if she doesn't want to use other products.

It's really not that much of a problem for the gymnasts. Underwear is still really not that helpful when on your periods. Gymnasts generally learn to wear a tampon at a young age, just as dancers do and swimmers do. They will want to wear once for training anyway. Its not even nessesary as today's slim and streamlined sanitry napkins can be worn inside the leotards and are both absorbent and almost invisible.

Many gymnasts and performers also see their doctor for a tablet which they can take that just stops their period for the day, or how ever many days. It is not like the pill there are no side effects. They just take it and it temporarily stops the period and until they stop taking it and the period resumes again. Very commonly used in elite sports.

Gymnastics leotards are usually well cut so most kids probably won't even need to shave their bikini line, it they do, again they probably will want to anyway with training in leotards and little shorts so many days a week. Another option is to get a home IPL unit which will pretty much permanently remove the hair.

My DD started (for the first time) a few days before a meet. She refuses to wear any kind of undergarment under her leotard. She has found a tampon works fine, and we found some very thin, tiny panty liners that fit perfectly on a leotard. It just has not been an issue, and her team leotards are white. (And DD is 12).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back