WAG Dh thankful for gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thought this would be a fun story to tell.
Enjoy!

My husband picked the girls up from gymnastics yesterday, and my youngest dd got a rip. Dh was helping her apply a tea bag to her hand, and put Vitamin e oil on her rip while I was making supper, after he comes in the kitchen and says " I'm really thankful the girls do gymnastics", so I ask him why and he says " well they have so many rips and calluses , I don't have to worry about boys, they'll never want to hold there hands" I just start laughing, I'm really wasn't sure what to say.

My dad always said that he didn't have to worry about me dating because he knew I would challenge the boys to a push up contest and beat them and then they wouldn't want to date me anymore. But I actually dated two guys who I could beat in probably any conditioning contest so my dad's logic doesn't hold for every guy.

I was "sad" when I dated a D1 athlete because I wasn't the stronger one in the couple anymore!

My DH loves gymnastics. Not too worried about boys yet (she's only 8), but he's very athletic & competitive & all that sporty stuff......me? Ummm, more on the eccentric, nerdy side! Lol! He was excited to find out that we were gonna have a baby boy all those years ago, BUT our son has turned out to be just like his mom & doesn't own one competitive bone in his body. Thankfully, he got his athlete in our youngest child or he would be going CRAZY trying to get our son to care about being good at sports. He actually told him one time (at like 6 years old), "I'm just not that kind of kid, Dad!" Lol! DH left him alone after that......

My husband said those exact words just Wednesday night while filing her callouses. He is super supportive and because of our other kids new sport practices he hadn't got to watch out dd in several weeks, he went Wednesday and couldn't believe her progression since moving to l4.

It's taken my DEX some time to come around to appreciating the sport. At first, he resented the time he lost with DD. He never complained about the cost since he doesn't help pay for anything.

However, now that he sees her compared to her peers, he appreciates how fit, active, and mentally strong she is.

Dh is very supportive of my kids sports, he loves to watch them compete, and have fun especially his girls. he actually does a lot when it comes to gym, he is always the one the handle rips, he picks up and drops off the girls whenever I can't, and stays to watch practices whenever he can. I really think I lucked out with a husband who like gymnastics as much as me and my girls do.

My DH would still prefer DD played soccer. He always wanted a boy to play soccer with, but ended up with two girls, and neither of them liked soccer. LOL
But since soccer isn't happening, he is pretty supportive of DD doing gymnastics (except complaining about the cost), it is still a sport after all. :)

My DH is very supportive. He is there every time there is an exhibition or competition cheering for the team and especially my DDs. He was the same way with dance, track, soccer, and even academic competitions. He works a lot and has lost huge chunks of time with DDs due to deployments, and he makes up for it by throwing his whole heart behind whatever they are passionate about. It doesn't hurt that girls who are focused and training all the time don't have time for boys. Lol.

My DH is very supportive, which is surprising, because after two years of competing, he still isn't "allowed" to come to a meet. DD says she'd be too nervous. He handles it well though. He would rather she do well and not be nervous, than to watch her, and cause her angst. I do video as much as I can so he can see.

He's even excited about her going to camp this summer, and to a meet in the Bahamas, that, you guessed it, he's not coming to.

DEX finally attended one of DD meets this year - State where she took 3rd...he bought the photos, took video, got super excited - and finally gets why she does this. thankfully we've always known she was the toughest of the three kids!

My husband has taken supportive to a new (and sometimes embarrassing for DD) level, he takes classes at the gym in the parkour area. He is sometimes the only adult in the class. When he got his front tuck and pull over he was super excited. He's working on his kip now. My DD won't let him talk to her on the floor, but I know that she likes that he leaves special surprises in her locker. He's in his 40s and never really worked, but was able to climb the rope to the top with only his arms, upside down the first time he tried. I think he missed his calling as a gymnast.

My dad always said that he didn't have to worry about me dating because he knew I would challenge the boys to a push up contest and beat them and then they wouldn't want to date me anymore. But I actually dated two guys who I could beat in probably any conditioning contest so my dad's logic doesn't hold for every guy.

I was "sad" when I dated a D1 athlete because I wasn't the stronger one in the couple anymore!

My teenage son is wanting to ask out a former gymnast, now coach who works at dd's gym. He commented that he would have to get more "buff" if he was going to date her!

My DH is very supportive. He goes to every meet he can and comes to practice most days. He loves to watch her learn new stuff and see her become so strong and committed.

DEX is very involved and very supportive. He has spent time over the last year or so learning a bit of the lingo, talking to me about her aspirations, our thoughts on how far she will go, etc. he'll pick up, drop off, stay and watch a bit if time permits. He's joined us for travel meets. He's totally on board with lobbying schools and teachers to be supportive, asks his dad to help with pick up, etc.

She and I are both lucky in this regard.

OK, sit down, ladies. DH has done a meet hairdo. Only once, in an emergency, and the coach had to redo it, but still!

Up until this year, I would have said he was a little more engaged with DD's gymnastics than DS's, but now he's equally excited about both. We both try to go to as many meets as we can, but when we have to divide and conquer, he happily goes by himself. He's known as the team "papa"razzi because he takes hundreds of pictures at meets and posts at least a hundred on Facebook. He's not crazy enough to be the one who drags DS out to states a day early so he can watch the optionals, but he is going to be the one to drive the main carpool down to Future Stars training camp and stay overnight with the boys. Pretty often, I think about him and feel smug about having chosen well.

There are a few divorced dads with girls in DD's workout group who are very engaged and supportive. More often than not, those moms and dads are both at their daughters' meets and the dads do a lot of the pickups and drop offs. However, there are a few dads (both married and divorced) whom I couldn't pick out of a lineup.

Anyone know straight families where it's the dad who's really engaged and the mom isn't? We have a few like that.

I like to hear stories about involved and supportive daddies. My husband doesn't really like gymnastics because it's too much time and money. He goes to a couple meets a year, but is pretty uninvolved. Anyone else's husband like this?

*dunno has sad face*

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back