WAG Difference between British and USAG levels?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tdoesgymnastics

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
I have an 8 year old, level 6 teammate moving to England this summer due to the military. She is planning on continuing her gymnastics after the move. What is the difference between the levels? I'm just curious.

Following , I have a friend who has a daughter on xcel and told me they might be moving to England as well and we were trying to figure that out

Might be better to see if there is a club that competes IAIGC (international version of USAIGC) nearby.
From what I have heard, gymnastics leveling is totally different in England. IAIGC follows the exact same rules as USAIGC, so it would be an easier fit.

Might be better to see if there is a club that competes IAIGC (international version of USAIGC) nearby.
From what I have heard, gymnastics leveling is totally different in England. IAIGC follows the exact same rules as USAIGC, so it would be an easier fit.

yes but the only clubs that do that system here are rec clubs. And there are about 5 for the whole of the UK>

I have an 8 year old, level 6 teammate moving to England this summer due to the military. She is planning on continuing her gymnastics after the move. What is the difference between the levels? I'm just curious.

Ok I am assuming that she is a good 8 year old level 6 at the moment so will be near a level 7 when she moves in the summer. So would be looking to compete around your level 6 to 7 in the autumn.

Everything goes by calendar year here so is she a 2009 born or a 2008. She would fit in our in age streams here so would almost certainly compete in age voluntary level 5 in the autumn if she is an 09.

If she is an 08 and your level 7 by the time she comes with giants and backwalkover flick joined on beam then she would probably fit into in age voluntary level 4, otherwise she would be 1 year out of age voluntary level 5.

Get your friend to PM me and tell me more specifics .

Ok I am assuming that she is a good 8 year old level 6 at the moment so will be near a level 7 when she moves in the summer. So would be looking to compete around your level 6 to 7 in the autumn.

Everything goes by calendar year here so is she a 2009 born or a 2008. She would fit in our in age streams here so would almost certainly compete in age voluntary level 5 in the autumn if she is an 09.

If she is an 08 and your level 7 by the time she comes with giants and backwalkover flick joined on beam then she would probably fit into in age voluntary level 4, otherwise she would be 1 year out of age voluntary level 5.

Get your friend to PM me and tell me more specifics .
She is a very good level 6. She also does TOPs and is on fast track. I think her birthday is 2/29/08

I am an american expat (and ex gymnast) and have two daughters in the UK who do gymnastics. The levels and grades over here are very different from the American system and can take a bit to get your head around. Every county has different levels - most starting at level 7 and working up to 1. Anything over level 4 is usually regionally or nationally recognised. These can be done in age or out of age and are normally entered for club level gymnasts. For somebody looking to go onto a potentially elite track you also have regional, national and compulsory grades and in-age voluntary levels. The last 2 are necessary to qualify as an elite gymnast. Your Compulsory and Voluntary score is added up every year and will either qualify you or not. I've added a link that might help explain some of it. https://www.british-gymnastics.org/news-and-events/national-events/womens

Where are you moving too? My husband is in the RAF and we are actually moving back to the States for 2 years with the military so doing the same thing but the other way round. Good Luck!

I am an american expat (and ex gymnast) and have two daughters in the UK who do gymnastics. The levels and grades over here are very different from the American system and can take a bit to get your head around. Every county has different levels - most starting at level 7 and working up to 1. Anything over level 4 is usually regionally or nationally recognised. These can be done in age or out of age and are normally entered for club level gymnasts. For somebody looking to go onto a potentially elite track you also have regional, national and compulsory grades and in-age voluntary levels. The last 2 are necessary to qualify as an elite gymnast. Your Compulsory and Voluntary score is added up every year and will either qualify you or not. I've added a link that might help explain some of it. https://www.british-gymnastics.org/news-and-events/national-events/womens

Where are you moving too? My husband is in the RAF and we are actually moving back to the States for 2 years with the military so doing the same thing but the other way round. Good Luck!
I don't have to know. I was just curious about the future of gymnastics for my friend.[emoji5] Thanks for the information.

Tnag and piper vale are probably closest. Huntingdon is a good gym as well - more known for men's programme but they have a decent women's artistic programme there and are very friendly. My daughter attends their elite summer camps and likes it there. Would be a bit more of a travel though.

I do know of a lot of gyms over here that sadly won't work with military families from abroad - or at least won't put a lot of resources into them. We have some Canadian military friends and they had to go to 2 gyms before they came to ours where their girls could compete. Good to know there are they gyms that support military families. On the flip side we are moving to the states for two years and have had no problem getting our daughter accepted into several squads so she can have her pick.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back