WAG difference between front aerial and layout dismounts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgal

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
dd is likely doing a front aerial dismount on beam this season (L7). I asked her the difference between this and a layout but she couldn't explain - or I should say that I couldn't visualize what she was saying... Can anyone help me understand the difference? and is this a typical dismount for L7? looking at the L7 routines on youtube, I see a lot of cartwheel (or R//O) back tuck. She is still working on this but she doesn't have the confidence she will get the connection value.

Front aerial(an A) dismount takes off from one foot(kick first leg over, than the other). Front layout(a B) dismount punches from both feet at the same time(think a bounding front layout on floor).

Agree that the punch front tuck and cartwheel/round off back tuck are more common at level 7. They are a little more progressive. Front tuck can progress to front layout, front full, etc. Back tuck can progress to layout, full, double full, double back, etc.

That being said, one of our level 8's did the front aerial dismount all through 7 and 8 and scored very well with it.

^^^^^ditto that^^^^^ I think it's a good choice as a dismount until she gets the cartwheel/round-off back tuck. The front aerial d/m is fairly low stress mentally and physically, and it may make beam practice go well enough to allow some time to work on the cartwheel or round-off tuck.

I'm a little confused by the dismount requirement on L7 beam. DD's gym wants the gymnasts to do a cartwheel backtuck dismount as noted above. This is in addition to the requirements for flight skill and connection in routine (i.e., BWO-BHS or BWO- BWO + BHS). My question is if a connection is not required for the dismount (which I don't read that it is), why wouldn't you just have a gymnast do a standing FT/BT/layout/front aerial? Doesn't it open the gymnast up to more deductions? I can certainly see how it builds more to higher skills and connections, but assume there's another reason that so many gymnasts do it.

I should have added that dd competed a front tuck dismount all last season in platinum but always took a step on the landing. She can do a cartwheel and a back tuck, she just hesitates inbetween and frankly, she hates the cartwheel so she really doesn't want to use it. She will compete a bwo/bhs to start and likely move to a bhs/bhs by season end.

As for why use a connected dismount, I think it is just to prepare for the higher levels. One less skill they have to add as they go up. If its done right, there should be much room for deductions, I guess.

In addition to the progressive value, level 7's often also use the cartwheel or round off as one of their 7 counting skills in their beam routine.

Sometimes you need the extra skills in the routine to count towards required elements. Plus it's progressive. There nothing like teaching a level 9 how to do a back dismount because they reached their limit when doing front skills plus front dismounts start getting scary when they reach higher levels.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back