Difference between Hope and JO program

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

Gingercat

Can someone explain to be the difference between the Hope and Junior Olymic Program. Any thoughts on either. Anyone know how many girls are in the Hope program?

The jr olympic program is USAG levels 4-10, many can advance meeting the minimum mobility score & meeting the coaches requirements, others use TOPS to advance which is basically a fast track or used to identify talent (not all gyms use this program ) .... The difference I can not necessarily explain, however the way I was explained about the Hopes program - which is only a couple of years old (and used to be called tops Elite and also Child Elite) - is that it is L10 plus for skills & then elite compulsories that are similar to to the 11yo TOPS skills. in the 11 year old age division many gymnasts that qualify for TOPS are also a part of HOPES .... I am not certain but think you have to be involved in Hope to advance to the elite level in the US. Hope this helps some:D - nic

You don't have to participate in Hope to go elite, but it offers children an early introduction to the national staff / training camps. I guess I'm a little old school, I take all my girls the pre-elite route instead of hopes/tops. Hopes and Tops were created to assist coaches that didn't have experience in creating elites.

Both programs have their strengths and weaknesses, but if you're really interested in learning more about hopes look under the elite table in the womens program section on the USAG website.

You don't have to participate in Hope to go elite, but it offers children an early introduction to the national staff / training camps.

Ah, so it helps a little more with the political side? DD's coaches like yourself are also very old school - they don't use these programs.

I'm not saying its a bad route to go. But I've had my hand in elite gymnastics for years, so knowing how to produce and bring an athlete along is not something that I've needed a hand with. I still pay attention to the hopes and tops programs and use some of their guidelines as a base for what I do, but I don't compete my kids in them.

As far as politics go, I wouldn't say going either way will harm or help you. Some of my kids are still invited to the national camps to train, my kids just don't get exposed the same way as others do.

Something I've noticed on this message board is that parents always refer to their daughters as DD. What does that mean dear daughter? You would think I've heard this term before considering how much time I spend with parents.

There is a girl in our gym in the Hopes program. I think she may have actually placed 1st in the testing. She's super talented, extremely strong but too young to be in the elite program, I think. I think the Hopes programs is a way for the very talented girls to get a taste of the elite program. I think there is information on the usa-gymnastics.org website. I see the girl in our gym practice and she is really amazing. Graceful yet strong as an ox, if you know what I mean!;)

There is a girl in our gym in the Hopes program. I think she may have actually placed 1st in the testing. She's super talented, extremely strong but too young to be in the elite program, I think. I think the Hopes programs is a way for the very talented girls to get a taste of the elite program. I think there is information on the usa-gymnastics.org website. I see the girl in our gym practice and she is really amazing. Graceful yet strong as an ox, if you know what I mean!;)

A gymnast only need to turn 11yo in a particular year to compete as an elite so all but one Hopes gymnast last year was eligible to test international elite. The year before, all but 7 were age-eligible for international.

Many of the top gyms in this country, including SCEGA, Dreams, CGA, AOGC, etc. participate in the Hopes program. Some gyms do Hopes only, some do pre-elite only, some do both, some do tops. Some do Hopes only, some do JO only, some do both. Each does their own thing and each is successful.

The Hopes gymnasts who won the Challenges this year were both 12yo. One was the Easterns L9 champion and the other was around 10th at Easterns. They did NOT do their L9 routines at the Challenges, however, and competed much more advancd skills. They are also incredible gymnasts who, IMO, could have earned their international score if they wanted to make that jump this year. They had big tricks, but also killer basics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back