Parents Differences between L6 & L7

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

TeamDad

Can someone please point out the differences between L6 & L7. While L7 is optional, it doesn't look like the routines are 'that' different than the L6 routines. Also, what skills are added in L7? TIA

TeamDad -

I might not have all the differences based on watching our L7's working out, but here goes (my L6 daughter is 'anticipating' this next year):

Bars - cast to handstand, giants, flyaway dismount out of the giant. All moves are 'bigger'
Beam - back walkover-backwalkover or back walkover-back handspring, bigger leaps (turning leaps maybe), tuck or layout dismount
Vault - still the handspring, I think
Floor - unique music, unique choreography, front tuck out of the front handspring, back layout instead of the back tuck (I think).

This is what I have seen.

I just realized I have the level requirements, so let me check that:

Vault: Group 1 Handspring/Yamasheta vaults that have no more than 360° in one flight phase & no more than 540° turn in total.

Bars: 1. Min. of 1 bar change; 2. & 3. Two 360° circling elements, both a minimum of B - May be same or different, - One from Group 3, 6, or 7; 4. Salto dismount, minimum A

Beam: 1. Acro series with a min. of two A or B elements with or without flight, AND One acro flight element (may be included in series) (All elements must start & finish on beam.); 2. One leap/jump requiring 180° split (Isolated or in a series); 3. Minimum of 360° turn on one foot (Isolated or in a series); 4. Aerial or salto dismount, min. A

Floor: 1. One acro series (3 or more flight elements) which includes a backward salto stretched to 2 feet (Back layout to 2 feet); 2. A direct connection of two or more forward acro elements with flight. One element must be a salto or an aerial; 3. Dance series with a min. of 2 elements, one a leap (one foot takeoff) requiring 180° cross or side split; 4. Minimum of 360° turn on one foot (May be isolated or in a series).

If I understand things correctly, the A and B and Group designators come from the list of eligible skills located somewhere else.

Good Luck.

Russ

That looks like a pretty good summary of the differences - if you got all that just from watching you are very observant :) !!

Thanks, from what I can remember from our talks in the car on the way home from practice, she pretty much has all those skills. I don't plan on mentioning it, but she can now score out of L6 if that's what our gym wants to do. I know she'd be happier as a L7 and I'm sure she could handle it now that I've seen her compete this season, but it's not up to me. As a dad, I'd like to see her more challenged, but I'm also pleased with her joy from her recent success as a L6 even though I think in a few months she could be equally as successful as a L7.

I don't think our gym will do it though. If DD and one of her team mates move up, the L6 team would be in pretty bad shape.

Thanks, and GD in ABQ, that's pretty impressive from memory:eek:

TeamDad -

Don't give me anymore credit than warranted. Only the first part was from observing and only then with some head scratching. The second part was cut and pasted from a USAG document that I happened to remember I had.

My daughter could score out too, but why rush it. The level 6 skills are solid building blocks to 7 and beyond so why not stay a 6 awhile longer and perfect them rather than struggling at level 7. Mine is only 11 years old and has a lot of years left to not burn out - no need to push.

Good Luck

And one another difference is----price! Gotta pay for floor music, privates to get the floor and beam routines choreographed plus they usually practice more hours than a L6.

Some gyms require giants to compete L7, others don't since the circling requirement can be met by doing 2 clear hips.

The judging is also different. Have to deal with start values. Don't connect the acro series on beam=big deduction. No connection + fall---lose almost 1 point. So, while the skills themselves aren't a huge change from L6(except the giants and probably acro series on beam), they have to be done very well.

Our gym won't score the girls out of L6 either. At first I was a bit miffed, but I agree w/GLM. Give them the time to gain the strength needed to perfect those bar skills especially!!! DD will never become a level 9 or even 10, so we're just enjoying where she is at each moment.... BUT she can't wait for L7 next year. I'm sure like all the other L6 girls here, she's busy practicing and designing her own dance moves for her future floor routine!

Thanks everyone for the excellent advice and answers to my question. I'm sorry to bring this up again but out L5 coach had told us in June that they were considering scoring DD out of L6 but wouldn't be deciding until the L6 season was underway. I'm still of the same mind as before which is not to skip, but DD wants to do optionals badly and it could come up in the near future.

I'm sure she can handle it, and would like to if asked. It is her thing and I just want to be well informed to help her make the right decision if it does come up. I think she's going to have a strong L6 season. We;ll see what happens

Thanks

A successful Level 6 season is a great confidence booster going into Optionals. I'm sure whatever decision is made she will do awesome.

The Difference between L6 & L7?

That's easy! 1

:D:fight:

You are too funny! I once opened mouth and inserted foot like that at a boyfriend's house as a teenager. His mom was talking about jeans and asked the difference between Levi's 505s and 501s. I piped up and said "4!" I was so embarrassed!!! :D

Our gym doesn't maintain a level 6 team. The girls all score out. But, they are very big on uptraining so by the time they score out of level 6, they are already very involved in optionals training. My DD just started training level 5 about six weeks ago and they are already working with her on cast handstands and giants and they've worked on front and back tucks a bit, too.

ah pooh, my message was deleted LOL.. ok I am trying again...

just my .02

Your dd's recent scores for L6 were excellent! If she already has her cast handstand, giant flyaway, tumbling and bhs on beam then I bet she would be more than successful as L7. Of course the extra expense, longer hours, possibly more travel, and what she wants all should all be a big part of the consideration... but skill based (if she truly has everything she needs already) I would say go for it... I think that 2 years of L7 (if necessary) is waaaaay more beneficial then competing a full season L6.

After-thought *I also want to note that if this is what your dd's have planned for her than it is important to trust in them...

Last edited:
Level 7-10 are changing next season. Here are the new requirements:

http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/Portals/0/PDFs/Women/Rules/J.O.%20Code%20of%20Points/2009-13JOCodePreview.pdf

Depending on what state you are in, there are quite a few differences between L6 and L7 in terms of quality of the gymnastics (higher cast handstands with better shapes, more power in the tumbling, etc.). Practically speaking, some of the biggest differences are the flight requirement for L7 beam and the second circling element on bars. In some states, application of the L7 requirements may mean that the kids do bhs/bhs on beam, clearhip hand into giants, switch leaps on beam, and a fhs vault that some could do a tuck out of. It just depends.

Last edited:
Level 7-10 are changing next season. Here are the new requirements:

http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/Porta.../J.O. Code of Points/2009-13JOCodePreview.pdf

Depending on what state you are in, there are quite a few differences between L6 and L7 in terms of quality of the gymnastics (higher cast handstands with better shapes, more power in the tumbling, etc.). Practically speaking, some of the biggest differences are the flight requirement for L7 beam and the second circling element on bars. In some states, application of the L7 requirements may mean that the kids do bhs/bhs on beam, clearhip hand into giants, switch leaps on beam, and a fhs vault that some could do a tuck out of. It just depends.
LemonLime just wondering if you know why changes are being made? I always think..."if it ain't broke...don't fix it". Is there a problem with the level requirements as they are now:confused:???

LemonLime just wondering if you know why changes are being made? I always think..."if it ain't broke...don't fix it". Is there a problem with the level requirements as they are now:confused:???

I'm not LemonLime, but from what I've heard USAG wants to keep more girls at the optional level and decrease injuries. So many girls leave optionals because of all the time it takes to learn new and harder skills for each level and of course all those hours in the gym can lead to more injuries.

I know my gymmie's bar routine will not be allowed as a L8 routine next year(no shoot half since its a C skill).

I'm not LemonLime, but from what I've heard USAG wants to keep more girls at the optional level and decrease injuries. So many girls leave optionals because of all the time it takes to learn new and harder skills for each level and of course all those hours in the gym can lead to more injuries.

I know my gymmie's bar routine will not be allowed as a L8 routine next year(no shoot half since its a C skill).

Gymlawmom is right, but here's the actual language:
Philosophy
"Considering the overall decline in numbers of optional athletes throughout the country and in an attempt to return to the original linear structure of the JO Program, the JO Committee reevaluated the philosophy of the overall competitive structure. The philosophy is to provide a linear structure of the competitive levels in which each level prepares gymnasts for future endeavors."

More practically speaking, when they changed some of the requirements at L7 a few years ago, it allowed L7 gymnasts to add difficulty and it's currently hard to differentiate some advanced L7 routines from many L8 routines. More and more L9s were throwing Ds even though they weren't supposed to raise their score by doing so. L9 vault is low scoring because it has the same SV as L10 and therefore if you can do a layout full you obtain an extreme AA scoring advantage. Making the layoutstepout a "D" on beam a couple years ago was interesting.

None of these are "problems", but the 8/1/2009 changes outlined above will reverse them. I'm sure there are other significant changes, but these are the ones I thought of off the top of my head.

Thanks GLM & LL, I guess this mom was the last to know about the changes:eek:! I asked DD when she got home from a sleepover...she knew all about it. Her take is..."They want to level the playing field. As it is now, some girls throw higher difficulty skills...running up their AA score. That can leave someone else who does nice routines(but more 'on level') out of the AA...frustrating them & making them want to quit. Or trying to obtain higher difficultly skills to stay 'competitive' in the AA...getting them injured. They want us to perfect & clean up our technique while staying more 'on level' ". I guess that's it in a nutshell, as she understands it. DD's only worry...some girls (especially those with fear issues) that can throw a more difficult skill, but not the lesser version( ie: on L7 beam someone can throw a BHS/BHS, but not a BWO/BWO). She tends to look at things from that perspective, b/c that is her. Talented, but with fear issues(that sometimes don't make sense to others). So she won't do the lesser version...b/c she can't bring herself to go for that... out of fear. But she can do the higher difficulty skill. So for her it's not to 'run up an AA score', it's b/c that's what she can do. Apparently, her coaches are already working with her...in preparation for the changes! I'm just soooo out of the loop!!! LOL!!!Thanks for bringing me up to speed;)! I'm still getting used to optionals...I know I have a lot learn. I'm counting on my CB mentors to guide me:D.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back