Different coaching style at Visa Championships

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
After some disappointing events, it was interesting to see how each coach reacted to their gymnasts. As the gymnasts approach their coaches, some coaches were quick to let them know what they did wrong and told them what they needed to do to correct them. And then there were those that concentrated on the positive aspects of the routine. I thought Ali Raisman's coach was very positive (at least that this meet). He was quick to applaud her and let her know what he liked in her routine instead of coming down on her for what she did wrong and he did not like. Without even hearing what the other coaches were saying, you can tell by the reaction of the gymnasts. Their already somber expression even gets worse after their coach approaches them. When Gabriele (I can't remember her last name) of Chow's fell off the beam 3 times, as the commentator said, her coach just sat with her because she did not need to say anything. Gabriele is already beating herself up. There is just so much tension at these meets, smiles are few and far in between. It is so refreshing to see gymnasts, and coaches, smile.

I totally agree with all you said. I thought it was interesting too how the gymnasts reacted to their preformances too. Some you could definitely tell were beating themsevles up but a few others similed after their events, which was great to see. I love when you see elite (and college) gymnasts having fun instead of worrying about how they are doing and what they need to qualify for.

It was very interesting to watch the coaches after their gymnasts performed. I really liked how Gabrielle Douglas's coach just sat beside her offering silent comfort. I'm pulling for her especially because she's an Army brat (I was too) and her Dad is deployed to Afghanistan. That's a tremendous amount of pressure on a young girl. I loved watching Jordan Wieber's coach as well when he was jumping up and down after her vault I think. :)

My assumption, with Gabrielle being from Virginia Beach is Navy, rather than Army. Either way. I think it's too bad she didn't stay and train at home at Excalibur but I guess everyone makes decisions they think will be the best for them. I was disappointed to see her fall so much on beam.

I went back and watched the Cover Girl Classic (cause I'd missed it) thinking it would be better with fewer big mistakes but it really wasn't much, they kept just saying "oh they're working out the kinks they'll be more prepared for the Visa Cup!" But for a lot of them that's not what we're seeing :/ I hope tonight is better or I'm kinda worried!

~Katy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back