WAG Discussion of abuse in USAG - Nassar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thanks to all of you for all the summaries, quotes and updates. I still can't watch, both because I'm busy this week and because it's so painful.

Reactions: sce
MSU just sent out a letter to the ‘MSU community’ they in my opinion is a load of ‘sorry not sorry’
How the MSU community has to have patience and understanding about the accusations against MSU, that they are entitled to ‘mount the appropriate defense’ - basically telling everyone to trust them and not jump to conclusions.
When I saw it at first I really thought it was Lou Anna K Simon’s resignation...

Reactions: sce
MSU just sent out a letter to the ‘MSU community’ they in my opinion is a load of ‘sorry not sorry’
How the MSU community has to have patience and understanding about the accusations against MSU, that they are entitled to ‘mount the appropriate defense’ - basically telling everyone to trust them and not jump to conclusions.
When I saw it at first I really thought it was Lou Anna K Simon’s resignation...

What a load of tone deaf idiots. They had the ammunition to stop Nassar in the 90's.

Aly was so phenomenally eloquent. I enjoyed the way she kept addressing him as "Larry". I'm sure the gymnasts had to call him "Dr. Nassar" and treat him with respect while he was there to molest him, so I liked that she repeatedly reminded him he has no power anymore.

Aly was so phenomenally eloquent. I enjoyed the way she kept addressing him as "Larry". I'm sure the gymnasts had to call him "Dr. Nassar" and treat him with respect while he was there to molest him, so I liked that she repeatedly reminded him he has no power anymore.

Apparently he encouraged gymnasts to call him Larry, more grooming techniques.

I just don't understand how Kathy Klages or whomever thought the gymnast who complained to her about him was wrong. And then made her apologize?? Regardless of the debate about the usefulness of internal adjustments, it was obviously illegitimate if he's not using gloves and giving an explanation! Like those are just facts. How was it even an argument.

Also I cannot BELIEVE how enabled he must have been in order to CONTINUE his actions even after so many near-misses with getting caught. I mean after MSU sent him those emails telling him to use gloves, have a chaperone, get consent, (essentially to stop molesting people, they knew he was being inappropriate), and he STILL kept on going!

Anyone who participated in those emails but never reported Nassar should be fired.

Not only did he continue, I actually think he escalated. I think there is a reason we haven’t heard from the 2000-2008 crowd. Of course it could be that they don’t wish to speak out, which I completely respect, but I really think he succeeded for so long he moved on to the higher profile gymnasts.

Not only did he continue, I actually think he escalated. I think there is a reason we haven’t heard from the 2000-2008 crowd. Of course it could be that they don’t wish to speak out, which I completely respect, but I really think he succeeded for so long he moved on to the higher profile gymnasts.

Some of the older stories are from Olympians from way back, in fact Jamie Dantzscher ho was the first to bring the story to light was an Olympian. I don’t think he was ever not emboldened to do whatever he wanted. perhaps there was a change in circumstances at the ranch which impeded his access somehow, and I can only hope that is the case, because I hope that as many girls were spare as possible. But I hate the idea of speculating on who may have been victimized because that is so unfair to anyone who wishes to be anonymous for whatever reason.
Someone else asked if he was actually healing people, and the answer was that in many cases he really was- for injuries that didn’t give him the proximity he needed to play his game. That is part of why we all trusted him, because when he was healing he was very effective. It gave him cover. But when you listen to the stories it is quite clear that in the cases of abuse, he was also neglecting the injury, even misdiagnosing it seems on purpose. It makes me so angry for those girls that not only were they being abused ,but that actual injury was being neglected and put off, so that they couldn’t even get back to their sports. As a gym parent that is another layer of infuriation! And to think the parents PAID for this!! They should at minimum get every single dollar back they spent!’

It makes me so angry for those girls that not only were they being abused ,but that actual injury was being neglected and put off, so that they couldn’t even get back to their sports. As a gym parent that is another layer of infuriation! And to think the parents PAID for this!! They should at minimum get every single dollar back they spent!’
This is an interesting off shoot. I wonder if he billed insurance companies for treatments and if the insurance companies will go after him for insurance fraud. Not sure what the statute of limitations is for this kind of fraud. just add a whole other dynamic to this where they could pin even more jail time on him.

Nastia finally added her voice:
http://nastialiukin.com/gymnasticscommunity/

ETA: not as a survivor, but in support

Does she not have someone advising her on this? Her statement ...I can't even....and then she of course mentions how her father, the new National Team Coordinator , has offered his gym WOGA as a new "safe spot" for camps and such going forward because Valeri supposedly wants "change"....seriously? How about the folks at USAG or whatever governing body remains/is created has a chat or two with Atler and Ohashi ,among others, who can attest to the lovely safe techniques with old Val?

On no planet should Valeri seek to replicate the system the Karolyis had at the Ranch as both the Head of the house (as NTC) and it's owner...can you say well there's no checks and balances in that one either? Another disaster in the making!

Does she not have someone advising her on this? Her statement ...I can't even....and then she of course mentions how her father, the new National Team Coordinator , has offered his gym WOGA as a new "safe spot" for camps and such going forward because Valeri supposedly wants "change"....seriously? How about the folks at USAG or whatever governing body remains/is created has a chat or two with Atler and Ohashi ,among others, who can attest to the lovely safe techniques with old Val?

On no planet should Valeri seek to replicate the system the Karolyis had at the Ranch as both the Head of the house (as NTC) and it's owner...can you say well there's no checks and balances in that one either? Another disaster in the making!

Well, she is somewhat caught between a rock and a hard place. Of course she’s going to support her dad. What is she supposed to do, throw him under the bus? I’m really not sure she can win in this instance. Damned if she says something, damned if she doesn’t. I personally am not comfortable with criticizing her too much, we don’t know what demons she’s fighting in private either.

At least she offered all the proceeds of the Nastia cup. I can appreciate that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back