WAG Discussion of abuse in USAG - Nassar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This statement gets me -- "The deal surpasses the more than $109 million that Penn State University paid to settle claims by at least 35 people that assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky had sexually abused boys, though the Nassar settlement involves far more victims." ---- doing the math, the Penn deal added up to $3,114,285.71 per person (35 victims). This settlement will be $1,506,024.10 per person (332 victims). That is not really comparable to me. The scale is so much bigger victim wise that I don't see it as surpassing the Penn State settlement, not porportionally anyway.

This statement gets me -- "The deal surpasses the more than $109 million that Penn State University paid to settle claims by at least 35 people that assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky had sexually abused boys, though the Nassar settlement involves far more victims." ---- doing the math, the Penn deal added up to $3,114,285.71 per person (35 victims). This settlement will be $1,506,024.10 per person (332 victims). That is not really comparable to me. The scale is so much bigger victim wise that I don't see it as surpassing the Penn State settlement, not porportionally anyway.

Literally the exact same thought I had...

Literally the exact same thought I had...

And I forgot to mention that $75 mil is being saved back for possible future claims, so take that out of the equation as well. Not digging into lawyers’ cuts (probably 1/3 of total) because I’m sure that they also took a similar amount out the total from the penn state case as well, so that’s not a factor in comparisons

Reactions: sce
"USA Gymnastics officials agreed to provide what Larry Nassar's attorney called "false excuses" for his absence from major gymnastics events in 2015, rather than disclose to parents and gymnasts that Nassar was under investigation for child sexual abuse."

I am truly stunned that USAG went to these lengths to tell lies to cover for Nassar. USAG truly has the sickest organizational culture.

Please explain to me why, in light of this mess, why elite gymnastics is still worth it?
/

But you can’t just confine this issue to elite, it was all of USAG.

Did they have the best interest of the kids (elite or not) at Geddarts at heart when they continued to let Nassar be involved there — even AFTER he was fired from his role with the elite program?

Or what about when they continued to let that McCabe guy coach (JO non-elite) when they had several reports of misconduct from former employers??

So your question should be — why having any affiliation at all with USAG is worth it? Right?

"USA Gymnastics officials agreed to provide what Larry Nassar's attorney called "false excuses" for his absence from major gymnastics events in 2015, rather than disclose to parents and gymnasts that Nassar was under investigation for child sexual abuse."

I am truly stunned that USAG went to these lengths to tell lies to cover for Nassar. USAG truly has the sickest organizational culture.
I am not stunned... Because if, somehow, in the end it had turned out that it was legit medically necessary treatment and they had said he was under investigation (basically an accusation of sexual abuse), then he could have sued them for defamation of character.

But you can’t just confine this issue to elite, it was all of USAG.

Did they have the best interest of the kids (elite or not) at Geddarts at heart when they continued to let Nassar be involved there — even AFTER he was fired from his role with the elite program?

Or what about when they continued to let that McCabe guy coach (JO non-elite) when they had several reports of misconduct from former employers??

So your question should be — why having any affiliation at all with USAG is worth it? Right?

Yes, but elite gymnastics is what represents the US on the world stage. Elite gymnastics is where the glory is. Elite gymnastics is what brings home gold medals (which presumably is why USAG was reluctant to do anything--because doing the right thing could have meant not winning gold medals....somehow). All abuse, by ANYONE--coaches, parents, other athletes, everyone--has no place in sports, BUT...USAG's cover up was presumably done to keep the elites quiet so they would continue winning medals--it was a formula that had worked so well the US was able to rival powerhouses like China and Russia, and nobody wanted to mess with that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back