WAG Discussion of abuse in USAG - Nassar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was just referring to the ones specifically marked "No unsupervised contact with minors" as I was confused as to why they were labeled differently. But it appears those are the cases that are still being investigated (only marked as 10.5) and that specification is made just as a precaution as they are being investigated.
I still feel like there needs to be some sort of differentiation in the lists, or at least a little more clarity.
The suspended list are all still being investigated. They ail will either be cleared or added tot eh banned list once the investigation is complete. Suspensions are temporary in that way.

I was just referring to the ones specifically marked "No unsupervised contact with minors" as I was confused as to why they were labeled differently. But it appears those are the cases that are still being investigated (only marked as 10.5) and that specification is made just as a precaution as they are being investigated.
I still feel like there needs to be some sort of differentiation in the lists, or at least a little more clarity.

Yeah that I'm not sure. To me "membership suspended" would mean that you could still be involved with a USA gymnastics club without them getting banned but you couldn't do anything that requires a membership (like be at a sanctioned event). " suspended from all contact" presumably would be like you can't do anything with a USA gymnastics club at all. No unsupervised contact I guess means that which is a bit confusing because none of us are supposed to have unsupervised contact with minors. So like are there designated supervisors for these people or something else?

More happening on Capitol Hill this week with the latest hearings... plus a "progress report" from USGA was released.
The big questions seems to be - (1) has USAG been making enough progress to truly make a difference and really, truly protect its athletes?
And (2), is Perry doing enough as leader? She still apparently was still being "scolded" by Congress. And there are questions/doubts about how well she is handling everything right now.

So here is what USAG says is its progress is with Safe Sport as of now with pretty graphs: http://www.usagymprogressreport.com/recommendations/

Some commentary on the hearings that took place on Tues: https://deadspin.com/the-third-congressional-hearing-into-the-larry-nassar-s-1827848154

Here is the blow by blow with snark and much more detail as to what transpired in DC this week:
https://balancebeamsituation.com/2018/07/26/things-are-happening-july-26-2018/#more-22203

As an aside, I am seeing SafeSport now coming into other sports of my kids. There is A LOT that needs to be worked out w/ this initiative. Some of what is transpiring is good, some of it .... isn't.

Thank you Seeker, that is quite in-depth!

I seriously don’t know how anyone will ever figure out a good solution to this mess.
In another sport, this just happened: coach was accused of sexual assault. He was immediately suspended under Safe Sport and an email went out to the entire sports organization membership announcing this suspension.

That all sounds like the process is working....but 2 weeks later the sports org emails everyone again saying that the same coach is unsuspended effective immediately - as it turned out it was a disgruntled former employee who made up a charge against the coach. An investigation quickly brought this to light.

So how do we handle? We never want a victim to hesitate for a second about coming forward. We must protect athletes and others involved in the sport. But we also don’t want this scenario I described to happen again.

Smart people: what do we do??!!

And that allegation will follow that coach forever. I’m sure most accused but innocent molesters don’t have a quick resolution or an email sent out. I strongly support abuse victims and have been physically harassed however, I feel horrible for the innocent victims of false accusations. I had a child threaten to say I abused her. She could have ruined my life.

More happening on Capitol Hill this week with the latest hearings... plus a "progress report" from USGA was released.
The big questions seems to be - (1) has USAG been making enough progress to truly make a difference and really, truly protect its athletes?
And (2), is Perry doing enough as leader? She still apparently was still being "scolded" by Congress. And there are questions/doubts about how well she is handling everything right now.

So here is what USAG says is its progress is with Safe Sport as of now with pretty graphs: http://www.usagymprogressreport.com/recommendations/

Some commentary on the hearings that took place on Tues: https://deadspin.com/the-third-congressional-hearing-into-the-larry-nassar-s-1827848154

Here is the blow by blow with snark and much more detail as to what transpired in DC this week:
https://balancebeamsituation.com/2018/07/26/things-are-happening-july-26-2018/#more-22203

As an aside, I am seeing SafeSport now coming into other sports of my kids. There is A LOT that needs to be worked out w/ this initiative. Some of what is transpiring is good, some of it .... isn't.
It was created to cover multiple youth sports.
I’m curious what you are seeing that is not so good with the implementation of safe sport?

It was created to cover multiple youth sports.
I’m curious what you are seeing that is not so good with the implementation of safe sport?
Just saw your next post. This is an issue. False reports are not new but the maybe it is easier to do through safe sport? Really awful that anyone would want to hurt another person’s reputation and that they would take advantage of a system that is supposed to be protecting children!

And it continues. https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/olympic-gymnasts-ross-kocian-abused-nassar-57214535

If you are wondering if new USAG is doing a better job, look at Maddie's closing comments. No one from USAG ever reached out to her or her parents to check on her, even to this day. Do they still think this whole thing will just go away?

"Ross described getting a "pit" in her stomach every time she visited the Karolyi Ranch near Houston that served as the longtime training home for the senior national team. Kocian felt she and her teammates were "voiceless" thanks in part to the tone set by former national team coordinator Martha Karolyi. Karolyi retired in 2016."

""Possibly if maybe more people had reached out to my parents to see if I was OK when so many people knew about this and they went through whole Olympic Games knowing and not doing anything," Kocian said. "Even to this day have heard nothing support wise from them. I think my decision might have been different (otherwise)."

Reactions: sce
I thought it interesting that they went on the show with Val and not their parents as well....they said it happened when they were 13 and Val said she didn't think Marta knew but that Marta created the climate of fear that allowed it to flourish.

The both say that USAG has never reached out to them or their parents, which seems to be the M.O. of USAG even with new leadership. I don't remember them being listed with all the other survivors so I'm thinking they may have been on the original list as 2 of the "anonymous" filers. But it seems like they wouldn't be all that hard to reach now if USAG was so inclined....

And Madison was on international teams during the time Nassar was forced to resign and nothing was said to the athletes about why he disappeared or asking them questions about any suspicious medical treatments or contacting parents to alert them of a possible problem. I know we knew this information before, but every time I hear that it's just mind boggling.

It seems like USAG should have reached out to everyone who was on the national team during those years whether they came forward or not. It doesn't have to be a big deal, just a quick check in to make sure they're okay and offer support or assistance. Give them contact info for resources (crisis line, who to talk to to report their own Nassar story, etc.) Even a form email would be better than nothing at all. I know we'll hear more of the "protecting ourselves legally" angle, but was there really not a way to say-- USAG is thinking of you and wants you to know that we're here if you need anything-- without incriminating themselves? I find that very hard to believe.

Between this, Emma Malabuyo pulling out due to injuries, and the extraordinary Shushanova leaving us far too young, I regretted even looking at the internet this morning.

I’m not surprised, especially given the type of injuries they had. I am even further heartbroken, though. And so angry!

Reactions: sce
I agree. It's about damned time.
What gets me is all the people that were saying the USAG should have told Michigan State...
1. It obviously wouldn't have done any good since Klages knew about it way before USAG did.
2. Even if Klages didn't believe it, she should have passed it up the chain of command...
Urban Meyer is suspended for 3 games because he took the word of the police that there was no case against one of his assistant coaches (spousal abuse) because his superior (the Athletic Director) didn't report the claim to the compliance office and neither did Meyer. As the committee investigating determined, Meyer did what he was supposed to, but should have STILL done more.
Klages DEFINITELY should have done more with all the reports she received over the years!!!
3. Michigan State should have told USAG either in 1997 or in 2014 or anytime in between there.
4. I hate that all of these girls were harmed because people didn't speak up sooner.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back