WAG Discussion of abuse in USAG - Nassar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I saw this story last night on Twitter. The amount of MSU fans saying that it didn't count because Nasser was just a med student/intern was disgusting.

"she was forced to return the video, resign and sign a non-disclosure agreement," she being the coach that turned over evidence to the athletic director - why would anyone sign a non-disclosure agreement when you had video evidence of a rape? I don't get it

"We're awful sorry for the trouble we've caused those poor women. And we will make sure to do everything in our power to make sure it doesn't happen again," Perles said at the time, - Wow they do sound sorry :mad:

"After the miscarriage she went to university police, who advised her that this was a matter for MSU's athletics department." - too bad she went to the university police instead of Lansing police, this makes more sense the article I read last night just said "police" so people are assuming that it was Lansing, who I hope would not have dismissed her claims

"Plaintiff Erika explained that the athletic department already dismissed it and the Sergeant responded that [former athletic director] George Perles is a 'powerful man,' and she should just drop it." - It'll be interesting to see how George Perles will be affected by all of this

"Thereafter," the suit claims, "Plaintiff Erika's Field Hockey NCAA scholarship was taken away from her." - unbelievable

I went to a big 10 school at about the same time. I was floored by the amount of criminal activity that was dismissed, even by local police, all to keep crime statistics down (at least that was what we assumed). I would hope that rape would not have been something so easily dismissed though.

I saw that test and couldn’t bear to post it. When you think it can’t get worse, the story doubles down and shows it’s might. I am devastated for this victim - a minor at the time - yet I am so beyond horrified at the adult professionals that failed her.

Per the legal filimg, her coach tried to escalate/get it addressed and she ultimately got fired and was forced to sign an NDA. Police refused to take action.

A pregnancy.
An STD.
Miscarriage.
Cancer.

What does it take? How much is a girl worth?

I will admit that I was unable to finish it, but if you want to know how bad it can be in a university with a popular sports program and tight connections to local police and prosecutors, you should read Jon Krakauer's book Missoula.

What does it take?

Recent Indy Star article shares valid concerns:

https://www.indystar.com/story/news...nassar-probe-called-into-question/1289408002/

Even if the investigators have good intentions and the final report is useful, what is revealed from that report will still be under the control of USOC (manifested as selective release of information).

I would be interested in reading a document assimilated by survivors (and their parents), that shares their thoughts on, “Lessons Learned: What needs to be changed."
Not a document funded by USOC or USAG.

If the compilation is independently created by the network of survivors, then the survivors would control the information reservoir, it is archived permanently, and can’t be contorted or hidden by those with vested interest in opposition to the victims. It doesn’t have to be a consensus document, but could include sharing, anonymously, what change would have prevented their abuse.

A well-structured, publicly available compendium of this sort could be very powerful - potentially leading to external pressure on organizations.

When they are ready, I want to read information directly from the victims (and their parents) regarding what changes they feel are important.
All of it.

This is a link to the new NPR podcast "Believed", about Larry Nassar and how he got away with abusing hundreds of women and girls for more than two decades. I don't know if there's any new information here. I just found the podcast, I haven't started to listen yet.

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/660231128/believed

I listened that on my drive yesterday. A very good listen for people who try to blame parents and victims for it happening. Nasser was a very special kind of monster, he took grooming to the highest level.

It’s a series of podcasts. I’ve listened to all the episodes they’ve posted so far (I have a long commute). Interesting details for sure.

It’s a series of podcasts. I’ve listened to all the episodes they’ve posted so far (I have a long commute). Interesting details for sure.

Been listening too - They are very well done.
The details are hard to hear - but worth the listen if you can stomach it. - I think they release new episodes every monday.

This sickens me:
Neither Blackmun nor Ashley "shared the information received from Mr. Penny with others in the organization, and the USOC took no action between July 2015 and the date the Indianapolis Star published its account of Nassar's child sexual abuse in September 2016," the report said.

FOURTEEN MONTHS. They didn't just fail those girls. They took deliberate action (by way of inaction) against them.

Reactions: SMH
I hope that anyone who was giving USAG and the USOC the benefit of the doubt now realizes just how unethical, disgusting and criminal their behavior was. They knew and they did not care. They did everything they possibly could to cover it up and make it go away. No where along the way did Steve Penny or Scott Blackmun ever attempt or intend to do the right and honorable thing.

I hope that anyone who was giving USAG and the USOC the benefit of the doubt now realizes just how unethical, disgusting and criminal their behavior was. They knew and they did not care. They did everything they possibly could to cover it up and make it go away. No where along the way did Steve Penny or Scott Blackmun ever attempt or intend to do the right and honorable thing.
Yes. And from day one they have been treating this as a really bad PR crisis, nothing more.

One thing that keeps bothering me is that I feel the USOC is now acting like it was all USAG. I don't know that USOC "policing" what has happened is the right thing. They were involved too. This is bigger and IMO I can't see them being effective as the ones to manage what is going on now as they are also going to be in their own CYA mode...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back