WAG Discussion of abuse in USAG - Nassar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This makes me sick to my stomach. :( I think of my sweet baby girl gymnast and want to cry. It's sick. Just sick.

The number of safety measures that were missing to permit an elite athlete at McKayla's level to be abused in this manner in this situation is mind-boggling.

Elite sports with minors have such a dangerous combination of factors: Multiple power and control issues over the athlete, including a “Selection” process (potentially dissuading athletes from speaking up), separation from parents (current practice within USAG), physical nature of sport making “Touch” seem innocent at times, high media coverage of certain sports, all with a young athlete at the center.

I keep hoping rapid change of antiquated practices and culture within USAG will outpace potential legislative action on gymnastics. It would be a tragedy to need something akin to an Elite Sport Child Labor Law to effect adequate change to protect children.

From the other thread regarding Aimee Boorman / Simone:
I always understood it... Aimee taught Simone to be involved in her training, to know her body and be aware of what she needed.

Athletes: Listen to your body, listen to yourself, believe in yourself, advocate for yourself, speak up.
Parents: Expect an atmosphere that empowers athletes.
Coaches: Support an atmosphere that empowers athletes.

Penelope, you have power: power to overcome, and power (should you chose to use it) to reach others because of your experience. Thank you for sharing your difficult story.

I feel for the many abuse victims, I think we all know, deep down, that more of us have been assaulted and abused than have not been. It is the terrifyingly dark truth about being born a female, we are vulnerable, even when we are strong.

Someone dropped drugs in my middle kids drink this weekend, it all ended well, besides collapsing, vomiting and a rush to the ER in an ambulance. But as it happened at the same time as the #metoo, it just reminded me that we are vulnerable to those who wish to abuse us.

Many are complicit in hiding the abusers, they know who they are.

I feel for the many abuse victims, I think we all know, deep down, that more of us have been assaulted and abused than have not been. It is the terrifyingly dark truth about being born a female, we are vulnerable, even when we are strong.

Someone dropped drugs in my middle kids drink this weekend, it all ended well, besides collapsing, vomiting and a rush to the ER in an ambulance. But as it happened at the same time as the #metoo, it just reminded me that we are vulnerable to those who wish to abuse us.

Christ! Is she ok now, and are you pressing charges?

Hard to press charges when you have no idea who did it. Police not involved, bar is aware now. The problem with date rape drugs is they are out of the system pretty quick, here they rarely test for them as it is a complicated procedure. They treat the symptoms.

Hard to press charges when you have no idea who did it. Police not involved, bar is aware now. The problem with date rape drugs is they are out of the system pretty quick, here they rarely test for them as it is a complicated procedure. They treat the symptoms.
As a NYer with a brother a former cop. Never take your eye off your drink. Never take a drink you didn't see opened or a bartender pour............

First lecture dispensed to the kids as they go off to parties and places without the grown ups.

But then my brother would spot test on what the his kids were wearing if I took them anywhere. :cool:

Glad all ended well.

Reactions: sce
As a NYer with a brother a former cop. Never take your eye off your drink. Never take a drink you didn't see opened or a bartender pour............

First lecture dispensed to the kids as they go off to parties and places without the grown ups.

Glad all ended well.

Oh you know for sure my kids had that lecture many times, she was with friends and clearly felt safe. That is the scary bit.

You can parent the heck out of your kids, but predators are the problem.

Oh you know for sure my kids had that lecture many times, she was with friends and clearly felt safe. That is the scary bit.

You can parent the heck out of your kids, but predators are the problem.
So true! I'm not a parent, but coach a group of 7-11 year old girls and it breaks my heart when I hear things like this and think of them because I know that, statistically speaking, it will happen to several of them through absolutely no fault of their own. These things happen to girls/women regardless of how smart/conscientious/aware of their surroundings they are because there are predators out there, and it's especially alarming and concerning when those predators are people who should be doing everything in their power to protect them.

I know USAG has had some form of athlete advisory committee in the past, an athlete rep on the selection committee and people who are supposed to advocate for the athletes, but they have never been implemented well. Those involved are either part of the selection process, so play a part in deciding if a kid competes internationally, or are essentially just a title with absolutely no pull or power in USAG. I've been thinking lately about what it would look like to create a committee that works entirely to ensure the well being of the athletes. People with no say in the selection process but who also have power within USAG and will immediately report any concerns, not to coordinators or coaches who then choose what to do with them, but to appropriate authorities. I have no idea what exactly it would look like in practice, or if it would work, but it's mind boggling that an organization as large and well known as USAG does not have something like this in place.

Sadly, I saw her announcement and wasn't surprised she was a victim. The details are horrific.

Bog that is awful!

That is awful. It is so hard as we want to protect our kids all the time, and we can't. I hope she is ok, physically and emotionally. That is so hard :(

Reactions: sce
I am so sorry for what happened to your daughter, Bog. This underlines for me that no matter how careful or smart or "properly dressed," etc. someone is, there is still a risk. And this is NOT the fault of the individuals being threatened and assaulted.

Agreed, victim shaming is never helpful and it is why victims do not come forward. Think of all Nassar's victims dealing with the abuse alone for so many years, that is worse than any prison sentence.

I think we all know, deep down, that more of us have been assaulted and abused than have not been. It is the terrifyingly dark truth about being born a female, we are vulnerable, even when we are strong.
This sentiment has been making rounds lately, and as the father of two girls, it's really shaking me up. Can it really be true? How can it exist for so long? I can't wrap my head around the idea of it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back