WAG Discussion of abuse in USAG - Nassar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Good question but I don't know the answer to that. We don't know if that was cooked up with Steve and attorney's or if it was put to a board vote or what. Does anyone know?

In theory, if it was a board decision it would be in the minutes at some stage.

Reactions: sce
Good question but I don't know the answer to that. We don't know if that was cooked up with Steve and attorney's or if it was put to a board vote or what. Does anyone know?
You would think a settlement in the amount of 1.25 million would require board approval but what do I know. Maybe they tried to hide it from the board too.

I agree that Nassar had to be the one to decide not to molest young girls but there are a lot of parents who stand back and shut up when a coach is not acting in the best interests of the girls be it physical or emotional. Without realizing it they are actually sacrificing their child's self esteem and self worth in favor of getting ahead in athletics. We have felt for far too long that we had to allow it or our daughters would not get ahead. That needs to stop. It doesn't mean bad people shouldn't be accountable or that it is anyone elses fault that bad things were done but we are part of the culture that allowed the grooming. No one on this earth is going to be more of an advocate for a child than the parent.

I agree that Nassar had to be the one to decide not to molest young girls but there are a lot of parents who stand back and shut up when a coach is not acting in the best interests of the girls be it physical or emotional. Without realizing it they are actually sacrificing their child's self esteem and self worth in favor of getting ahead in athletics. We have felt for far too long that we had to allow it or our daughters would not get ahead. That needs to stop. It doesn't mean bad people shouldn't be accountable or that it is anyone elses fault that bad things were done but we are part of the culture that allowed the grooming. No one on this earth is going to be more of an advocate for a child than the parent.

And when I hear stuff like coaches blacklisting athletes so they can’t go to other gyms, or these horribly punitive “contracts” that prevent the athlete from leaving...you can see why less confident/assertive/secure parents (not sure what the word is, I basically mean parents who refuse to walk away from the sport entirely if need be) may keep their children in less than ideal training situations. These gyms just have too much power if they are getting away with this stuff. I think the USAG should make rules that blacklisting of gymnasts for leaving a gym is not allowed, as well as prohibiting contracts that require a gymnast to pay for anything beyond 1-2 months after they leave. Something like that would go a long way to prevent abusive coaches from thriving.

And when I hear stuff like coaches blacklisting athletes so they can’t go to other gyms, or these horribly punitive “contracts” that prevent the athlete from leaving...you can see why less confident/assertive/secure parents (not sure what the word is, I basically mean parents who refuse to walk away from the sport entirely if need be) may keep their children in less than ideal training situations. These gyms just have too much power if they are getting away with this stuff. I think the USAG should make rules that blacklisting of gymnasts for leaving a gym is not allowed, as well as prohibiting contracts that require a gymnast to pay for anything beyond 1-2 months after they leave. Something like that would go a long way to prevent abusive coaches from thriving.
I agree but! A gym does not have to accept anyone for any reason. So it's impossible to enforce such a rule. As far as paying a certain amount after leaving..... don't go to that gym to begin with. I am not sure that legally USAG can implement such a rule. Anyone ?

A week from today is when Nassar faces his third judge. I believe it is 3 counts that he pleaded guilty to in that county.

I hope Taryn (I believe she prefers Akemi) gets her chance to speak to Nassar in that courtroom. Her statement was read in court, but she didn't speak herself. Her statement at the press conference at the Radisson after sentencing was incredibly powerful. If you don't know, I believe she is the rhythmic gymnast who was umnamed in the original Indy Star article.

I agree but! A gym does not have to accept anyone for any reason. So it's impossible to enforce such a rule. As far as paying a certain amount after leaving..... don't go to that gym to begin with. I am not sure that legally USAG can implement such a rule. Anyone ?

I’m sure most parents who are presented w/ contracts at a what seems like a wonderful gym that produces great athletes don’t foresee their child being abused so then sign. If gyms were forbidden from having such contracts to being with, it wouldn’t be an issue. It would also stop gyms for being able to exaggerate the amounts of money exiting families “owe” when they leave.

The blacklisting is harder to prevent, but if it was something the parent could prove I think the USAG should have a rule against it and take action.

For those who want to read for themselves the portions of Nassar's letter that Judge Aquilina read at sentencing.

https://deadspin.com/judge-reads-bat****-victim-blaming-letter-from-larry-na-1822379053

Reactions: SMH
To be honest, I listened to a LOT of the testimony in the last week and it was heart breaking and horrific. But, they damn letter she read today might have been the worst thing I heard all week!!! It really showed that Larry Nassar doesn’t think he did anything wrong, has no remorse, and takes zero responsibility. Just like Geddert. And the people at MSU who did nothing. When he sat over there at the trial looking ashamed and sometimes wiping tears, I thought MAYBE he got it....and then today just proved he doesn’t.

To be honest, I listened to a LOT of the testimony in the last week and it was heart breaking and horrific. But, they damn letter she read today might have been the worst thing I heard all week!!! It really showed that Larry Nassar doesn’t think he did anything wrong, has no remorse, and takes zero responsibility. Just like Geddert. And the people at MSU who did nothing. When he sat over there at the trial looking ashamed and sometimes wiping tears, I thought MAYBE he got it....and then today just proved he doesn’t.

Those tears were for himself. He has no soul.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back