Parents Dislike when coaches play favs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gym monkeys mom

Proud Parent
I just need to vent to a group who knows will understand and then I will feel better.

I usually try to minimize the things which bug me at the gym. This time however it is a re-occuring theme.

We have a team coach who is leaving mid-may because of frustrtion with the current owners of our club. Over the years she has been a decent coach but her and the onwers do not see eye to eye on things. So it is good she is leaving coaches heart has not been in gymnastics for awhile.

Coach has a fav gymnast and by the time this coach leaves I am pretty sure all the other team kids will not like this girl. Other girls resent this girl being incharge, gettingmore praise and over all being the coaches fav gymnast. This girl is a fine gymnast but not nearly as good as coach is making her out to be.

This sort of thing bugs me coaches are old enough to know better teen girls are not.

I am concerned for this girl when fav coach leaves. This girl has a lot of family issues right now. I don't think she can take what I know to be coming from her teammates when the coach leaves.

Any help or suggestions.

Thanks

I will admit I favor gymnasts. Those who work are in my favor. Those who don't or disrupt the workout get out of favor. A gymnast can go from one group to the other group easily in my frame of mind. I don't like kids who try to kiss up to me. That will get them out of favor. Same as the ones that tattle.

Sometimes it helps to just throw a friendly smile or words towards the girls who are very frustrated. I may not be coaching the girls but when I see them go through this, I may pop in a few words or friendly gesture. Especially if they are feeling down.

I probably never do this for boys though since I tend to coach boys with the mindset of my coaches when I was a boy. Suck it up. Double standards, I know. Poor boys.

I just need to vent to a group who knows will understand and then I will feel better.

I usually try to minimize the things which bug me at the gym. This time however it is a re-occuring theme.

We have a team coach who is leaving mid-may because of frustrtion with the current owners of our club. Over the years she has been a decent coach but her and the onwers do not see eye to eye on things. So it is good she is leaving coaches heart has not been in gymnastics for awhile.

Coach has a fav gymnast and by the time this coach leaves I am pretty sure all the other team kids will not like this girl. Other girls resent this girl being incharge, gettingmore praise and over all being the coaches fav gymnast. This girl is a fine gymnast but not nearly as good as coach is making her out to be.

This sort of thing bugs me coaches are old enough to know better teen girls are not.

I am concerned for this girl when fav coach leaves. This girl has a lot of family issues right now. I don't think she can take what I know to be coming from her teammates when the coach leaves.

Any help or suggestions.

Thanks

I don't like the gym queen atmosphere at all and wish every child received the same attention, direction, praise and critisism but I have yet to see that happen at any gym I know of. there is always gym royals who are favored by the coaches. don't get me wrong here they usually are very talented gymnasts but those girls who are "just average" could be alot better if they got half the attention of the royals. Ok coming off my soap box and passing it on to the next person> :rolleyes:

trying to look on the positive side here - You did mention that this girl has some family issues. maybe the coach knows more of what is going on there and know that maybe this is the only place where any positive reenforcement is happening you know a safe place. And the coach is doing what she can with that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back