Dismounts Out of Giant Swings/ Layout Shape

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
Another question coming from DD: why do most girls do layouts out of giant swings instead of tucked flyaways? Unlike on floor, there doesn't seem to be a requirement in L7/8 bars for a layout. Does a layout control the swing more? Do most girls find it easier to do the layout?

Also, Mr. Taucer made a comment in another thread that there are 3 basic body shapes in gymnastics - hollow, straight or arched. Is a layout in L7/L8 (whether on floor or as a bars dismount) supposed to be straight or hollow? I put the level there because the elites seem to arch when they do double layout dismounts on bars.

Thanks!

You can do a tucked flyaway out of a giant (I do), but in order to land on your feet, you have to slow down the swing into it and/or kick out. If you're kicking out you may as well just do a layout. The problem is that slowing down the swing into a flyaway is NOT a good way to learn if you're planning on doing double back flyaways or other high-level dismounts. Because I'm never going to learn a more difficult dismount we're not concerned with it.

Another question coming from DD: why do most girls do layouts out of giant swings instead of tucked flyaways? Unlike on floor, there doesn't seem to be a requirement in L7/8 bars for a layout. Does a layout control the swing more? Do most girls find it easier to do the layout?

Also, Mr. Taucer made a comment in another thread that there are 3 basic body shapes in gymnastics - hollow, straight or arched. Is a layout in L7/L8 (whether on floor or as a bars dismount) supposed to be straight or hollow? I put the level there because the elites seem to arch when they do double layout dismounts on bars.

Thanks!

because they tend to 'pull in' when tucking. layouts also better develop core strength needed for higher level dismounts. a good layout should leave the bar hollowed and straight at the hips. when the chest rises thru the somi you slightly arch when you lift the chest. it is for 'style' or 'finish'.

and don't confuse any of this with a 2ble layout off bars. there is a precise technique/tap to this skill. the arch you see is a direct result of the technique required to leave the bar.

and to add 1 more shape position. it's called 'puck'. or also referred to as 'open tuck'.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back