WAG Div 1 Difficulty

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Interestingly, this is one of the rationales some major university athletic departments have used as a reason why they don't want to have a D1 WAG team- in most college sports, the athletes are increasing their performance (relative to qualifying for olympics or becoming a professional in a pro sport). In collegiate gymnastics, that isn't the case; their elite careers are usually over by the time they get to college.

In addition, I can't think of another sport where you don't get better in college.

Interestingly, this is one of the rationales some major university athletic departments have used as a reason why they don't want to have a D1 WAG team- in most college sports, the athletes are increasing their performance (relative to qualifying for olympics or becoming a professional in a pro sport). In collegiate gymnastics, that isn't the case; their elite careers are usually over by the time they get to college.
It is a very interesting philosophical discussion - what is the purpose of college athletics? Is it a means to an end - professional or Olympic competition in that sport? Or is it one part of educating and developing a real rounded human being?

oops- message timed out:

https://www.hookem.com/story/title-ix-lawsuit-casualty-gymnastics-program-success-texas/

"The reasoning at UT about gymnastics, from Lopiano to Chris Plonsky, comes down to two issues — injuries and Olympic mission, that top college programs are the feeder system for the U.S. Olympic team and college gymnasts are already past their prime in the sport. "
This is interesting, didn't know the details of the lack of college gymnastics in Texas. It really is too bad. Can you imagine how epic the Oklahoma/Texas rivalry could have been in gymnastics?!

It is a very interesting philosophical discussion - what is the purpose of college athletics? Is it a means to an end - professional or Olympic competition in that sport? Or is it one part of educating and developing a real rounded human being?

Sadly, I think collegiate sports are often about generating revenue and prestige.

Sadly, I think collegiate sports are often about generating revenue and prestige.
Agreed, in reality college sports are mostly about keeping alumni connected to the university, thus continuing to contribute. Colleges need money to survive. I don't begrudge them that as long as they treat the kids well. How often that actually happens is a whole other discussion.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back