WAG Div I NCAA Walk-On Offer Info

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yes, coaches definitely can and have helped athletes admittance to a school they may have not gotten into in the first place whether it is an Ivy League or non-Ivy. I won't go into detail of my experience because I know of too many situations personal and otherwise (both Ivy and non Ivy) of student athletes who have gained admittance via sports related qualifications. But make no mistake, the athlete must at least be close to the schools admission requirements. For a more concrete answer, pull up the link below. You will find others. Our high school uses Naviance.com. The link below will have a graph of what the school requires for admission, all its applicants, their SAT scores, GPAs and which applicants were admitted, denied and which ones actually went to the school. Occasionally, you will see a couple applicants being admitted that fall below the school's requirements and there is that rare ocassion that one applicant falls far below but is admitted. While it does not state exactly if this applicant was accepted due to sports qualifications, you can on surmise it is that or perhaps the family knows a very influential member of the board of the school (we've seen this happen too).

http://www.collegedata.com/cs/admissions/admissions_tracker.jhtml
Thanks for the info and the link!

Yes, generally, athletes who are on scholarship or are recruited walk-ons are offered admission assistance, even if it's not an Ivy. Often gymnast-applicants do not have to complete application essays and are approved by a separate committee. Each school is different and each school has different admission requirements (both in high school course content and in GPA/Test scores).

Beware this rule is not across the board. Some teams cannot offer admission assistance to walk-on athletes who are not from the school's home state. Other schools are limited in the number of walk-ons per year who can receive admission assistance.

Yes, generally, athletes who are on scholarship or are recruited walk-ons are offered admission assistance, even if it's not an Ivy. Often gymnast-applicants do not have to complete application essays and are approved by a separate committee. Each school is different and each school has different admission requirements (both in high school course content and in GPA/Test scores).

Beware this rule is not across the board. Some teams cannot offer admission assistance to walk-on athletes who are not from the school's home state. Other schools are limited in the number of walk-ons per year who can receive admission assistance.
thanks for the info. Is there a way of knowing which schools offer assistance to athletes and which schools don't.

If you offered a walk-on spot, the college should tell you at the time if that offer includes admission assistance. If they haven't, then ask. Most academic schools are limited in the number of walk-on spots that can receive admission assistance. Usually those spots are very competitive to get.

I only know a couple schools that cannot offer admission assistance to walk-ons unless they are in-state residents. I simply don't know all of them so I don't want to single out any schools. I'll PM you the ones I know.

do you know what a pre-read is and how it is used? Also do you know anything about early admission and how it applies to athletes?

I have a question about the pre-read and merit. So is it a case of the coach simply making sure she would get admitted before he offered the scholarship or is it that pre-read also told the coach how much she would get in academic merit scholarship money so he then knew how much the athletic scholarship portion was going to cost his budget? Hope this question make sense. I am basing it on that someone said that if the kid is eligible for merit money they get that first. I am wondering if the coach uses the pre-read for more than admission decisions and I am wondering if that is fair???

In my dd's case it was to ensure that she could get into the school. The coach told us he had no influence with the athlete's getting into the school and that all athlete's, with the exception of 6 football players and 2 basketball players, had to go through the same process. I'm sure it could also be looked at to see if she would qualify for academic money and could therefore say hey you will qualify for merit. I guess some coaches do need to get creative in the sense that most school rosters have more than 12 girls, so if someone is going to get a full ride academically, maybe save the athletic offer for someone who is not going to qualify for merit. Is it fair, I guess that question could be answered all different ways, but it is smart on the coaches part to try and get everyone on board with scholarships.

In my dd's case it was to ensure that she could get into the school. The coach told us he had no influence with the athlete's getting into the school and that all athlete's, with the exception of 6 football players and 2 basketball players, had to go through the same process. I'm sure it could also be looked at to see if she would qualify for academic money and could therefore say hey you will qualify for merit. I guess some coaches do need to get creative in the sense that most school rosters have more than 12 girls, so if someone is going to get a full ride academically, maybe save the athletic offer for someone who is not going to qualify for merit. Is it fair, I guess that question could be answered all different ways, but it is smart on the coaches part to try and get everyone on board with scholarships.
Do you know what specific information the coach gets? Is this just basically a look to see if the kid qualifies academically or is their financial aspects as well?

Do you know what specific information the coach gets? Is this just basically a look to see if the kid qualifies academically or is their financial aspects as well?
In my dd's case it was just academic to see if she met the requirements to get into the school (GPA & SAT scores).

How does the admission process work for a recruited gymnast or walk-on? At what point would they know if they had to submit an essay and letters from references or if the school will waive them?

Times might have changed, but even getting a full ride, I had to submit all of that stuff. Mind you, different sport, different decade....

How does the admission process work for a recruited gymnast or walk-on? At what point would they know if they had to submit an essay and letters from references or if the school will waive them?

Depending on the school ( as some don't require essays) but my daughter had to submit everything required for admission ...but she did get to put a code on her application noting that she was a "recruited athlete".

Depending on the school ( as some don't require essays) but my daughter had to submit everything required for admission ...but she did get to put a code on her application noting that she was a "recruited athlete".
That's good to know! Switching subject slighty ... in a recent college coach message the college coach said in regard to the available scholarship that it was not full out of state tuition. I had in my mind that some programs are not fully funded by whatever amount D1s give for scholarhips that each girl got the same amount. I didn't think there was a distinction between in-state and out of state? I'm really feeling dense again......can explain what the college coach meant?

Hmmm, wonder what they say about out of Country scholarships. Nothing ticks me off more than hearing that another State funded (with our tax dollars) school gave away another full ride to another non citizen......taking the spot away from the U.S. Citizens who's parents pay taxes for that. I have no issue if someone from another country wants to go to school in the States and compete for thy college.....but shouldn't they have to be the Walk On and find funding? When there are stipulations o how many Out of State kids can have funding, how are there so many Out of Country ones with full rides......or maybe I'm mistaken and the out of country are self funded??

Hmmm, wonder what they say about out of Country scholarships. Nothing ticks me off more than hearing that another State funded (with our tax dollars) school gave away another full ride to another non citizen......taking the spot away from the U.S. Citizens who's parents pay taxes for that. I have no issue if someone from another country wants to go to school in the States and compete for thy college.....but shouldn't they have to be the Walk On and find funding? When there are stipulations o how many Out of State kids can have funding, how are there so many Out of Country ones with full rides......or maybe I'm mistaken and the out of country are self funded??
At my school of choice for college there were 4 girls from different countries who were on full ride scholarships who were freshmen the year I was.

I never thought of it before honestly, because it was the norm for my sport in college, and it didn't affect my scholarship. This said, if it had I am sure I would have felt differently. Ironically, those girls became my best friends and I was in one of their weddings years later.

I can assure you ( as well as depress you) that the out of country girls are not self funded...think Marissa King of UF, Danusia Francis and Peng Peng Lee at UCLA, Gabrielle May on UIC, Gael Mackie (way back when) and Nancy Damianova at Utah, Kaitlyn Hoffland and Stefanie Merkle at Ohio st, Nicola Deans and Gabriella Douglas at Michigan St , Dominique Pegg at Alabama ( and she doesn't even compete anymore ...), Brianna Tsang at Penn St, india mcpeak at Michigan...these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head that are on FULL RIDES here in the US....and there are many more that I haven't even named ...

College coaches see " XYZ country national team member" and make the leap that these kids must be phenomenal and a lot of them are not....some get very modest elite scores, that wouldn't ever qualify them to a US National team but the coaches don't do their homework on it...my point being that there are many talented US 10s overlooked because this is happening...

I can assure you ( as well as depress you) that the out of country girls are not self funded...think Marissa King of UF, Danusia Francis and Peng Peng Lee at UCLA, Gabrielle May on UIC, Gael Mackie (way back when) and Nancy Damianova at Utah, Kaitlyn Hoffland and Stefanie Merkle at Ohio st, Nicola Deans and Gabriella Douglas at Michigan St , Dominique Pegg at Alabama ( and she doesn't even compete anymore ...), Brianna Tsang at Penn St, india mcpeak at Michigan...these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head that are on FULL RIDES here in the US....and there are many more that I haven't even named ...

College coaches see " XYZ country national team member" and make the leap that these kids must be phenomenal and a lot of them are not....some get very modest elite scores, that wouldn't ever qualify them to a US National team but the coaches don't do their homework on it...my point being that there are many talented US 10s overlooked because this is happening...
Yes there are!!

Others may disagree, but I just don't think it's fair to use scholarship for non-U.S. citizens. And that is very sad about great 10s being overlooked .....disheartening

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back