Parents Do coaches know you?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I would attempt to meet them... Just so they know who you are :)
How do I go about that? I have social anxiety in general and not-crazy-gym mom in specific.. so do I call the main number for the gym? Pass a note through my DD? Tell them I just want to say hi? I feel like I should know them a tiny bit better but it’s awkward to meet them artificially and without an underlying reason.

Remember what you're comparing to... A lot of us have dds under 12 years (or started at the gym when they were younger). I know my kids teachers quite well, but I don't expect to once they are in high school. I'm quite sure my teachers in high school would not have been able to pick my parents out (ok so they had more than 30 students but still). I would think it's not too weird that you haven't really met them yet. Presumably you will at meets or gym functions, eventually.
True. Our eventually is only two seasons though and I’m not sure they do gym functions. I suppose I may meet them at meets, but it’s not a given. Were I not good friends with some of my girls past coaches and need to talk to others due to various gymnastics disasters, I wouldn’t see why I would interact with coaches at meets at all. Our gym doesn’t host a meet either.

Ok, I’m a weirdo and I’m just putting the whole thing to bed. I may never meet them, but is that really an awful thing? If I never meet them it could be because everything is going smoothly.

Either have ODD introduce you at pick up... Or wait until the first meet and have her do it.
The coaches aren’t available at pick up. Two leave before the girls and the third is busy and never comes into the regular people area. I talked it out here. I think I’m over it. Ha.

ETA: I almost never have a need to go into the gym at all. We have a really distinctive car that my Dd can see coming a mile away (whole front of the gym is glass) and she just comes out.

Last edited:
I doubt it. Dd's level is not particularly big but the team is fairly large (probably 200 JO girls and probably 100-150 Xcel girls). The coaches all coach multiple levels and the gym is constantly a zoo with various groups coming and going at any one time. The coaches don't come out of the gym after practice because they start with their next group.

I actually can't think of one time that I exchanged words with her current coaches. I think I've said hi and bye at meets, and I'm pretty sure they had no idea who I was. I'm also pretty sure that they prefer it that way.

Well, yes, they all know me really well but I work with them, so.... I will say that there are VERY few team parents that we (general WE as in all team coaches) do not know at least by sight. There may be a few of the newer Xcel girls or brand new boys team recruits that we don't know yet mainly because they do not often work out when the regular girls team is there. But mostly, all team parents are pretty well known to all the team coaches whether we coach that specific kid or not.

I would probably try and say thank you after a meet. I think I probably would have gone in with my daughter even if she was older, but then would have been hands off. I am very rarely at my daughter's gym during practice-she is very secure in her own skin. And I have no desire to watch what she is doing, so it is a win for both of us. But yes, as I am paying them money, I would at least like to meet them once.

My gymmie started team last year and I knew all of her coaches and they know me. I’m friends with most of them on Facebook (as is most of the team parents).
We went through some changes at our gym this past summer and now there are 5 or so additional coaches- none of which know me, have never been introduced to the parents as a whole, and although I know names I don’t think I could match them to faces since I’m not at the gym a lot. I do like to know the people I trust so much of my child’s time and well being with, but I’m not sure how when they are usually busy coaching.
I should add that my kiddo is 7, and she plays into me wanting to ‘know’ who she’s with.

We have been at our gym 5 years. So yes they know us, both myself and husband. Many a meet and parties under our belt. A couple of injuries.

And if we were to change gyms, while I don’t hang around now, I would at a new place for a bit. Until I got to know the coaches and they got to know me.

It’s a place where my kid is spending a good chunk of time. I need to spend a bit of time and get a sense of things roll and people do things.

But I also go to school the first day. To introduce myself to her teacher. See the class room her classmates.... Offer to lend a hand if needed. You learn a lot about a teacher by what their classroom looks like. The books and quotes they have around. I’ll miss being able to that once middle school starts.

We have been at our gym 5 years. So yes they know us, both myself and husband. Many a meet and parties under our belt. A couple of injuries.

And if we were to change gyms, while I don’t hang around now, I would at a new place for a bit. Until I got to know the coaches and they got to know me.

It’s a place where my kid is spending a good chunk of time. I need to spend a bit of time and get a sense of things roll and people do things.

But I also go to school the first day. To introduce myself to her teacher. See the class room her classmates.... Offer to lend a hand if needed. You learn a lot about a teacher by what their classroom looks like. The books and quotes they have around. I’ll miss being able to that once middle school starts.
Dont they have a "Meet the Teacher" / Back to School night? We have one at each of the local schools (elementary, middle, and high school on different dys leading up to the start of school).
That is how we meet all the middle school and high school teachers.

Dont they have a "Meet the Teacher" / Back to School night? We have one at each of the local schools (elementary, middle, and high school on different dys leading up to the start of school).
That is how we meet all the middle school and high school teachers.
Yes we have an open house but that's 3 weeks after school starts.
And the teacher is on and dealing with 20 plus sets of parents.
Followed by Parent teacher conferences.

I like getting a sense of things that first day. Watching all the kids. Seeing how the teacher greets them. How they greet each other.... How the desks are arranged... How he/she sets the tone for their classroom.
It is really not more than 5 mins, but I learn a lot.

Yes we have an open house but that's 3 weeks after school starts.
And the teacher is on and dealing with 20 plus sets of parents.
Followed by Parent teacher conferences.

I like getting a sense of things that first day. Watching all the kids. Seeing how the teacher greets them. How they greet each other.... How the desks are arranged... How he/she sets the tone for their classroom.
It is really not more than 5 mins, but I learn a lot.
Ours are like 1-4 days before school starts…
Elementary kids can find the room and drop off their supplies so they aren't all bringing a ton of stuff the first day. Parents can meet the teacher and see how the classroom is set up… where cubbies are, where lunch tally is taken, all the fun stuff. It is a couple hours long and doesn't take much time.
Middle school kids can get their schedules, find their lockers and figure out how to open them, drop stuff off if they want, walk the route to their classes, meet all their teachers, find the cafeteria, etc.
High school kids (especially freshmen and new kids) can learn their way around - they have an orientation 1.5 hours before the open house where they get their schedules and a tour of the building. Then during open house, they can eat food, walk the route to their classes and determine when the best times are to go to their lockers (close to a class) and convenient restrooms between classes. ;)

The coaches aren’t available at pick up. Two leave before the girls and the third is busy and never comes into the regular people area. I talked it out here. I think I’m over it. Ha.

ETA: I almost never have a need to go into the gym at all. We have a really distinctive car that my Dd can see coming a mile away (whole front of the gym is glass) and she just comes out.

You tease, I need more on the car.

A523E752-D5BA-4F55-8CDF-408D868A4BD1.jpeg

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back