Do gymnasts fly?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A few days ago my NGF (Non Gymnastics Friend) asked me if we gymnasts know that we are off the ground, that we have left the surface of the earth for a few moments and defied gravity. Somewhat like flying.

I didn't really know how to answer it. I just said "when i flip it feels like i'm flipping, i dont really take much notice that i'm in the air"

Has any NGF's asked you the same question?
Or can you explain how it feels?
Have you ever taken much notice that your in the air?

Much appreciated replys:)

all that i can notice is that i can not see when i flip!!!! but the second i land i can see.

I don't think it feels anything like flying. Though everyone says pole vault does, and I don't get that either. If anything, yurchenkos felt the most free to me.

I think with your NGF's logic, jumping would be considered defying gravity. Unfortunately, what goes up still has to come down. :)

I guess the skill that most feels like flying to me would be giant flyaways because they're so effortless. You let go of the bar, and you really don't do anything but stay tight until your feet hit the mat.

I feel really weightless when I am in one of those harneses over a huge trampoline and im jumping reaaaaally high:D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back