Parents Do gyms in England have Open Gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ariekannairb

Proud Parent
and is it called open gym? DD asked if she could maybe make it to one since she will miss several practices, but I looked on the website of a gym local to where we would be and couldn't figure out if I was just looking at the wrong thing or if they didn't have it.

I've never come across it - It would be an insurance nightmare, however we are very open to visiting gymnasts joining in established sessions. Just contact the gym before hand and let them know her level

No. It doesn't happen here.

Like Margo says, ask if there are any sessions she can join in.

Whereabouts will you be? The UK gym community is pretty small :)

The only time I've ever come across it was a gym which allowed older teenagers (older than 16) to attend at set times a week and have use of the gym. This was set up because a small group of (mainly) boys, who had trained with the club, had set up an offshoot parcour and free running group and wanted to train in a safe place. It was a trial thing and I'm not sure if it carried on.

Other than that no.

It's quite common for gymnasts to train with another club while they are on holiday. That said, UK gymnasts are covered by BG insurance which is transferable to any UK club. You'd just need to check your own insurance situation, but I know it happens with overseas gymnasts visiting this country, so it must get sorted somehow.

Sorry we just arrived so been busy! We are in Preston in the north west.

Am I understanding right that your gymnasts have personal insurance?

You're not too far for Liverpool in Preston (about an hours drive?) that would be a great experience for your dd :)

Gymnasts in the uk just have insurance through bg. If your dd trains here I think she'll just need to pay a small fee for cover (about £6).

All gymnasts in the uk get british gymnastics insurance and renew it every year so i dont know how it would affect you. There is city of preston gymnastics club which is quite a big gym and im sure they would let you use there gym during some of there lessons, im just not sure about the insurance thing.

UK gymnasts are generally members of British Gymnastics and membership includes some insurance. It's at different levels depending whether you are rec or competitive.

Some gyms hold birthday parties and host gymnasts from other countries, so they must be able to sort out temporary insurance. You'd need to ask them how that would work when you contact them.

City of Preston gymnastics club has a very decent facility, so hopefully they'd be open to your dd joining them for a few sessions :)

I'm going to give the Preston one a call but honestly we are nonstop while we are here so not sure where it will even fit it in.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back