do i have the skills for gold?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

im currently a rec gymnast but i think i have the skill level for excel gold im. ot sure though. i have a aerial on the floor, a front handspring,close to getting a back handspring . im working on 1/2 on vaults i have it on a mat stack right now. on bars i have a good back hip circle and im working on kips. on beam i have a good cartweel, my handstand is almost vertical and i have a round off dismout (my coach says she thinks i can do front handsprings as a dismount) and im working on a back walkover . my coaches say i always have amazing form with everything . im told that i can make it into silver or gold if theres space in the teams but if not i have to stay in rec.

It sounds like silver would be more appropriate for the coming season. Talk with your coaches because team invitations typically happen very soon.

If you can get a few skills over the summer I think you can go gold, you need to be able to jump to high bar, a vault over the table, and I think if you get either a round off back handspring or a front tuck I believe you could compete one of those with your aerial on floor. However if you have never competed before silver might be a good option for your first few meets and/or season. Competing after being in rec is a drastic change and a really unique environment. In gold you have your own routines, but in silver you typically have the same routines as your friends and teammates But varying with different skills.

... in silver you typically have the same routines as your friends and teammates But varying with different skills.
This can vary from gym to gym. None of the gyms we compete against have their Xcel Silver gymnasts use the same routines. Individual music and choreo for all.
@emiluvsss
USAG requirements for Xcel Gold:
Vault:
The most used vault options: Handspring, 1/4 On & 1/4 Off, and 1/4-1/2 Twist On & Repulsion Off
If you can move your 1/2 On (1/4-1/2 Twist On & Repulsion Off) to the Vault Table, you will be set for vault.

Bars:
A skill finishing in clear support at a minimum of horizontal*, 360° Circling skill*, Second 360° Circling skill*, same or different, and Dismount from High Bar
your cast to horizontal (A skill finishing in clear support at a minimum of horizontal)
your back hip circle (360° Circling skill)
Do you have a mount directly onto the high bar? If not, you will need to have a way to get to the high bar.
You could do your back hip circle again on the high bar
Dismount - underswing or flyaway or tap swing-1/2 turn touch

Beam:
Full Turn on 1 foot, Jump or Leap at a minimum of 120º, Two Acro Skills, one pass thru vertical, and Dismount
Your full turn (Full Turn on 1 foot), your cartwheel and handstand... does not have to be vertical (Two Acro Skills, one pass thru vertical), and your round-off dismount (Dismount)
Do you have a Jump or Leap at a minimum of 120º?

Floor:
Two directly connected acro flight skills, Two directly connected acro flight skills OR one salto/aerial, Two different Jumps or Leaps -- one a leap with a minimum of 120º split, and Full Turn on 1 foot
Your Front Handspring combined with another acro like a Roundoff (Two directly connected acro flight skills), your aerial (Two directly connected acro flight skills OR one salto/aerial), since you have a full turn, you should have it on floor too (Full Turn on 1 foot).
Do you have a Leap at a minimum of 120º that you could combine with another leap or a jump?

This can vary from gym to gym. None of the gyms we compete against have their Xcel Silver gymnasts use the same routines. Individual music and choreo for all.
@emiluvsss
USAG requirements for Xcel Gold:
Vault:
The most used vault options: Handspring, 1/4 On & 1/4 Off, and 1/4-1/2 Twist On & Repulsion Off
If you can move your 1/2 On (1/4-1/2 Twist On & Repulsion Off) to the Vault Table, you will be set for vault.

Bars:
A skill finishing in clear support at a minimum of horizontal*, 360° Circling skill*, Second 360° Circling skill*, same or different, and Dismount from High Bar
your cast to horizontal (A skill finishing in clear support at a minimum of horizontal)
your back hip circle (360° Circling skill)
Do you have a mount directly onto the high bar? If not, you will need to have a way to get to the high bar.
You could do your back hip circle again on the high bar
Dismount - underswing or flyaway or tap swing-1/2 turn touch

Beam:
Full Turn on 1 foot, Jump or Leap at a minimum of 120º, Two Acro Skills, one pass thru vertical, and Dismount
Your full turn (Full Turn on 1 foot), your cartwheel and handstand... does not have to be vertical (Two Acro Skills, one pass thru vertical), and your round-off dismount (Dismount)
Do you have a Jump or Leap at a minimum of 120º?

Floor:
Two directly connected acro flight skills, Two directly connected acro flight skills OR one salto/aerial, Two different Jumps or Leaps -- one a leap with a minimum of 120º split, and Full Turn on 1 foot
Your Front Handspring combined with another acro like a Roundoff (Two directly connected acro flight skills), your aerial (Two directly connected acro flight skills OR one salto/aerial), since you have a full turn, you should have it on floor too (Full Turn on 1 foot).
Do you have a Leap at a minimum of 120º that you could combine with another leap or a jump?
ive been working on getting my leaps amd jumps higher right now its not there and for bars yes i can do a squat on and i was actually working on flyaways into the pit. i have a wolf jump pretty good too .

If you can get a few skills over the summer I think you can go gold, you need to be able to jump to high bar, a vault over the table, and I think if you get either a round off back handspring or a front tuck I believe you could compete one of those with your aerial on floor. However if you have never competed before silver might be a good option for your first few meets and/or season. Competing after being in rec is a drastic change and a really unique environment. In gold you have your own routines, but in silver you typically have the same routines as your friends and teammates But varying with different skills.
i have been working on vaulting over the table and high bar . its hard to work on like front and back tucks because of the fact im barley in rec but on my own time i do try and practice more harder skills. i have a backhandspring its just the mental blocks. my coach said that she thinks i could get into gold because of the fact i learn pretty quickly. i could get skills faster practicing 3 times a week for 3 hours rather then every tuesday for one hour

I think you have the skills for silver but I'm not sure about gold. Silver to gold is a big jump and I think you would rather have a fun time in gymnastics than do something really stressful. The previous posters are right about the requirements so it just depends if you think you'll have them ready to compete for next season or not! Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back