Coaches Do we need pit for level 9 and level 10

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Do you need a pit for L9/10 training?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
So, as a former gymnast myself (Level 10) and now starting to coach again, I believe a pit is absolutely vital. I trained at a gym levels 6-9 that did not have a pit. I loved the gym dearly, but looking back gymnasts were definitely held back and almost encouraged not to exceed a certain difficulty level. My first double back was right on the floor and I really believe to progress to a certain level with some cushion to learn is vital. I ended up switching gyms as my old coach also didn't want to hold back. Anyways my two cents. I mean think about, nowaways how can someone through a full twisting double layout for the first time without a pit? sure it can be done, but a lot more dangerous IMO.

As a level 6 gymnast, (and one who probably wouldn't get to 8-10 because of age), my opinion may not be as valid as everyone else's here but I absolutely love the pit and didn't do even L6 skills without doing them in the pit first. It feels way safer and is great way to do skills + improve technique without breaking my ankles. Considering this, I'd absolutely want a pit for all levels past this too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back