Parents Do you do conditioning/practice with your children?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Rapunzel

Proud Parent
Bit lighthearted but for the non-gymnast parent do you do gymnastics fitness with your children?
Inspired by my dds abs we do some stuff together at home, I'm looking for more ideas - we do planks (with raises), sit ups, v-sits, jumps (pike/straddle/tuck/straight) press ups and hand stand challenges (they always beat me but I'm getting better).

Early on, I'd have handstand contest with DD when she was supposed to be learning to hold handstands for longer. It was fun, often humorous, and it's actually a pretty good core workout.

I can't, because my spine is fused in three places and I have lots of pain issues. I used to be a dancer so I show her some ballet stretches and help her stretch, other than that, I leave the conditioning to her :)

We used to have a " fitnastics" class at gym but it didn't really take off .. But it was fun .. I wish we still had it .

Sent from my iPad using ChalkBucket

Look into body weight training. Al Kavadlo has a great website with tutorials and a few books you can get on Kindle. There's also "convict conditioning" which sounds strange, but it's the same idea - progression through body weight exercises to get strong and flexible. It's fun and you don't need any equipment except maybe a pull-up bar or a playground. Yoga & Pilates are kind of in the same vein as well.

I have always done callanetics, which is very similar to a lot of the conditioning we did (way, way!) back in my gymnastics days. We called it 'strengthening' then. I have incorporated certain aspects of modern gym conditioning into my routine, my daughter finds it hysterically funny. But she doesn't laugh so much when she does my yoga.

I mainly do spin, interval training and occasional yoga at the gyn (on my own) - ive introduced them to sun salutations , I can't do a "flip dog" but they put me to shame.
I would love a "fitnastics" class, I have found with the hand stands that they make a difference with my core strength.

Yea it was really fun ! Now I just do spin when I can, walk , and go to the gym. My son, who's 8 , likes to do yoga lol .. He says it's for his gymnastics ;)

Sent from my iPad using ChalkBucket

My dd doesn't train at home though I have caught her practising her beam routine in her bedroom when she's supposed to be in bed! She has always loved being active and she also loves to dance. I've been trying to learn to "flip dog" @Rapunzel dd can't understand why I can't do anything so "easy"lol:D

The "flip dog" in the current release of Body Balance and I don't even think our instructor could do it, my attempt ends up in table top not bridge which is very embarassing, I am working on just reaching over and trying to see my hand. It certainly is challenging, well done for getting it first time!!

I occasionally do ashtanga yoga too and love it as its quite dynamic. I have never done P90X yoga I will have to give it a try.

Last edited:
Well, let's wait and see how I feel about it tomorrow. These days, I try to live by the adage, 'Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.' Though I usually say that while doing something I probably shouldn't.

P90X yoga is pretty similar to ashtanga yoga; it's designed to be pretty high impact, in yoga terms. It's an aside to a wider extreme fitness programme and most people who love yoga actually seem to hate it.

We have taken this post a bit off topic here though so, to attempt to bring it back on track, the most recent thing I'm wanting to try is the Gymnastic Bodies programme. I just haven't had the nerve to take the plunge.

We have a mom at our gym who wishes that we (hope she's carrying something in her pocket when she uses that pronoun) could go in and do the warm up and conditioning part with the kids and then leave when they go to first event.

My DD would love it because she enjoys a good comedy show same as the next person.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back