Parents Do you do gymnastics all summer?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't think you will find any competitive teams that take the summer off.

I hate to say this, but I beg to differ.:D

I can name at least 5 clubs within 90 minutes of my house that allow their gymnasts to take the summer off, in fact most of them do not offer regualr team training and just have limited hours a week when any team member can train if the wish. They have Provincially streamed atheletes that are at about L3-L7. Fees are paid for 32 to 40 week period. Clubs here tend to close at Christmas, Easter, March break and thanksgiving.

You just have to look around to find a club that will fit your family needs. I can easily find clubs that wouldn't dream of letting their team slack off for the summer.

Takes all kind eh.:)

TD -

DD's gym goes all year long; no breaks for the summer. Summer practice is very intense with new skills being learned and pretty intense conditioning taking place. Girls can take a week off during the summer for a family vacation, but other than that they are expected to be in the gym if they want to be on team. The practices do move from the evening to either the morning or the afternoon for about 3-4 hours per day, 5 days a week. Taking the summer off would most likely be a disaster given what is expected of these girls come the Fall competition season; I just don't see anyway that they could gain back in a short amount of time what they would lose taking the summer off. Besides, I don't think I could keep my daughter out of the gym even if I wanted to.

Good Luck.

I hate to say this, but I beg to differ.:D

I can name at least 5 clubs within 90 minutes of my house that allow their gymnasts to take the summer off, in fact most of them do not offer regualr team training and just have limited hours a week when any team member can train if the wish. They have Provincially streamed atheletes that are at about L3-L7. Fees are paid for 32 to 40 week period. Clubs here tend to close at Christmas, Easter, March break and thanksgiving.

You just have to look around to find a club that will fit your family needs. I can easily find clubs that wouldn't dream of letting their team slack off for the summer.

Takes all kind eh.:)
oops! My bad! I'm referring to the gyms here in our area that I know for certain train year-round. I personally don't know of any here that take the summer off. I just always assumed that competitive gymnastics was a year-round thing, according to what I have seen here. It may be different in other areas.

TD -

DD's gym goes all year long; no breaks for the summer. Summer practice is very intense with new skills being learned and pretty intense conditioning taking place. Girls can take a week off during the summer for a family vacation, but other than that they are expected to be in the gym if they want to be on team. The practices do move from the evening to either the morning or the afternoon for about 3-4 hours per day, 5 days a week. Taking the summer off would most likely be a disaster given what is expected of these girls come the Fall competition season; I just don't see anyway that they could gain back in a short amount of time what they would lose taking the summer off. Besides, I don't think I could keep my daughter out of the gym even if I wanted to.

Good Luck.
I hear ya! There is no way I could keep my daughter away from gym either! Our girls need a certain amount of hours, based on their level, if they are competing. If they don't put in the hours in the summer, they could lose their spot on team.

Our gym trains 8-1 M-F and then 8-12 on Sat. all summer. The girls get alot of their skills during this time (lots of conditioning also). It works out fine for us... but we do go on vacation and take days off when we plan things... My DD is fine with the schedule. My younger DD goes to the camp during this time so it works out great with us.

Our gym does the exact same thing....but we get the last week of May off. Last year that didn't matter since our schools didn't end until June :( We had a break from gym, but not school. Go figure!!!!!!! Maybe it will be different this year...

Our gym also goes year round. Summer is for up training and working on the skills needed to move to the next level. Also compulsory season starting in Sept, so it would not be very feasible to take the summer off. Our team practices move to daytime and increase from 9 to 12 hours a week. Our gym only really closes for one week and that is when the team goes to Lake Owen, so really not an off week for those that go to camp.

Definitely year round. Coaches let us know when is a good time for vacations. Our gym does not switch to morning hours though, they work out afternoon through evening. We take fun days occasionally - just for a break - and go to the beach or the park. Emotionally I think it is good for her to play hooky once in a while...

DD goes over the summer - but because she loves it and doesn't want to take a break and also at our current gym the summer is "fun" they get to play around with new skills. It also gives new girls a chance to get to know everyone

Both my DD's age 8, one in competitive Tramp and one in Gymnastics L5 train all summer. They both have the first two weeks of July off, only break all year except for the week of Christmas. The training schedule changes to morning/daytime training so they have late afternoon and evenings at home I find it a nice break from the late night week days. I am another one that couldn't keep my DD out of the gym, I don't know what she would do with herself if she didn't go to gym.:)

My dd goes all summer the gym is closed 1week in August.Our head coach stresses not to take to many weeks off in summer has the girls get alot accomplished with no school going on and compulsary season starts in Sept..We take a week vac. in May and an occansional day here and there when family comes down.

Our gym closes for the first 2 weeks of July and then switches for summer hours for the team. All levels Mon-Fri 9-2. No rec classes. All girls are expected to attend but not all do. Some go away for sleepaway summer camp and only come back for the last 2 weeks of August. This causes some girls to stay back a level sometimes as level 4, 6 and 7 start competing in September.
We also switch to morning hours for a winter camp christmas week.

Like everybody else says I think most gyms train year round, my daughter goes monday-friday in the morning for 41/2 hours a day. At her gym if you do not go in the summer you are not allowed on the team. Last year was her first year and both her and I were leary about the summer hours it turned out that she loved it and has improved a whole lot. They have a week break at the end of the summer. Learning more about this sport I think gyms are forced to do this to stay competative if other gyms are traing year round how could you compete with them if your gym doesn't train this way. I do not necessarliy agree with it it is just how the sport is.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back