• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
Some members have requested that the chat box be added to more pages on the forum. What does everyone else think?

I have to say I don't love it, but I really don't like MSN or texting on cell phones either. Too much 'tween speak or too much typing for my carpal tunnel syndrome.:D

I also don't like to see the gymnasts give out too much info with the whole board reading it.

Seems to me that we get a lot of...

hey...
hello
hi
heeeeyyyyy
how u doing?

Which is fine...I just don't think all our members want to see that.

From the looks of it, the kids are the ones that want more of it or actually like the chat box. Then why couldn't you put one over the gymnast forum only page?

Just an idea and that way the parents wouldn't really be there anyways.

Also, about the "Hey" thing that was mentioned earlier in this thread. The reason we do this is because we look and see someone else is on and hope that they notice that their friend is in the chat and they want to talk.

It's hard to do that when there is only a chat box in one area and is no longer where the "New Post" section is.

Just my opinion,
Tori

Last edited:
From the looks of it, the kids are the ones that want more of it or actually like the chat box. Then why couldn't you put one over the gymnast forum only page?

Yes...I think this is a good idea. I'll see what I can do. I guess this is just another way that The Chalk Bucket is showing differences between groups.

Well, I'll raise my hand and say I was one of the people who wrote to JBS asking about it. And I'm glad to see it has been opened up for a nice discussion.

The reason why most of the chats are "hey", "hi", "hello", and so on is because many of us who use it just say hi in order to see if anyone else is on who wants to talk. Sometimes we get a response back, sometimes we don't.

It was very easy to catch others in the chat room since it is on top of the forums page, which is where everyone used to go to read the forums. But now that we have the new posts feature (which is great BTW), it is no longer possible to watch the chat as we browse the forums from the new posts feature.

Most of us do not really click the chat tab unless we already see there are other people in the room talking and want the full window. So my suggestion was to add it to the top of the "new posts" window so we could do what we always did and glance at it occasionally while we browse the forums.

Maybe if there was a way to "minimize" the chat box, similar to how you can minimize the navigation menu and online users list, then those who do not wish to partake in chatting can click that and not have to read it.

~Mike

Good idea whoever said it about the putting the chat in a gymnast forum because we do use it a lot...i voted for it on more pages but now that i read this I think it would be cool if we made like a "chatty gymnast" group and had it there or something like that :)

I'd think that would be cool if we had the chat box on more than one page.:):cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish there was a choice for I don't care. It doesn't bother me one way or the other. If it is better for the kids to be more available, then make it more available. I don't generally chat, so I just scroll down past it. I don't see why it could'nt be on more pages. I think I'll go give a vote for the kids... :D

I think it's a great idea to just put it on the gymnast forum. Plus, if people want to chat more they can always get each other's screenname and talk to them on MSN or AIM and what not.

Am I the only one that has not even got a clue how it works?

Anyway, as I am over the sea, there would probably be nobody to chat to as you are all asleep when I am awake and vice versa....

Am I the only one that has not even got a clue how it works?

Anyway, as I am over the sea, there would probably be nobody to chat to as you are all asleep when I am awake and vice versa....

You write in the empty box at the top left, then click on okay for it to post. It refreshes itself when somebody enters a message. (Which is why it's bad for dial up users.)

We are only 5 hours behind the UK on the East Coast of North America :D, I know that's were my family live, they manage to talk to me. (Well sometimes!;))

I have been trying to figure out what our little chat box is able to do. I did figure out that there is a way to turn it off. If you do not want to see the chat box go to:

User CP >> Edit Options >> Show Chat Box >> Yes/No

What I could do is enable it on more pages...then we could turn it off if we do not want to see it. The main chat page that the chat tab links to would always be visible, however, the smaller chat boxes around the forum would be controlled by each user. Would this be a good compromise?

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back