Coaches Do you think parents can be too pushy?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Pushy to me is when parents force the kids to be in the gym, when the kids don't want to be there. It is also when a parent, no offense to any parents who are coaches, argues with the coach because they think they know more than the coach does about the sport. It is one thing to be involved with your child and their activities; I like it when a parent approaches me before or after class and asks how their child is doing, but I cant' stand it when a parent approaches me and tells me that their child is not doing the right things--that they need to be doing more or more difficult skills (that they aren't ready for).

It is also when a parent, no offense to any parents who are coaches, argues with the coach because they think they know more than the coach does about the sport. It is one thing to be involved with your child and their activities; I like it when a parent approaches me before or after class and asks how their child is doing, but I cant' stand it when a parent approaches me and tells me that their child is not doing the right things--that they need to be doing more or more difficult skills (that they aren't ready for).

Forgive me for posting in the coaches forum, but I really would like to know... Curious Hammy, what if the coach is new, not familiar with the girls or the program & is doing higher level skills then they are used to and for extensive periods of time? (to me unspotted front tucks off of a springboard onto the floor that have never been taught/worked on spotted or not & for an entire hour with only 4 girls seems extensive) Should a parent never be able to interject, or should they just remove the child and leave without an explanation or a question? When can a parent (that is paying for a service) step in without coming off as "pushy"?

Last edited:
Ingymmom: That is a very good question. I actually stepped into this position last year when I began coaching compulsaries at my new gym. What I did was start them off with basics, see how the performed those skills, and kept working my way up. At my gym, if a rec coach is doing something that is too advanced for the gymnasts (and the coach doesn't stop or realize that it's too difficult), my boss will say something to them. Personally, if I try a newer/higher level skill with gymnasts that I am new to working with, I will begin with the basic progression and work the way up.

I agree with what you said about the front tuck situation, and I feel that the coach was in the wrong (In my personal opinion). I would think that if a coach were to walk into a new program, the other coaches would fill them in with what the gymnasts have been working on, and that there would be some sort of training done to introduce them to the program.

If I were a senior staff member in the front tuck situation, I would intervene and say something to the junior staff member (if that was the case). If that was not the case, I think a parent could say something at the end of class, as a sort of constructive criticism--politely stating that the gymnasts have never done these things before. If the situation conintues, after a parent (or multiple parents) has spoken with the instructor, you can always leave a comment/concern with the employee/head coach.

Hopefully that answered your question.

Ingymmom: In response to your post on the parent forum, I think in that case you were in the right for taking your child home. In my previous gym, the situtation would most likely have been the same, because it was a rather small gym. Sometimes I think it's either a hit or a miss with guest coaches, and I don't consider you being pushy in that case.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back