Do you think she is taking advantage of us?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm sorry for all my posts about switching gyms and my old gym ripping me off. But i have another question and i would like your advice on it.

So i am a level before level 4, i'm suppose to be learning the skills to be in level 4 but I think my coach hasn't been teaching me what i need to know to move on.
1. she can't spot us on anything since she injured herself, so no shoot throughs for me, or basics of back hand springs
2. She is teaching us stuff that we wont need to learn in level 4, (i think at least) like front tucks and sole circles..

Also the prices have been rising (same hours, same amount of days) for no reason! There are about only 4 girls in my level and if we move up then she will lose her job, since we are her only level. So I believe ( and my family believes) that she is not teaching us what we need to know because if we move up she will be out of a job, and thats also why they raise the prices because since no girls come she makes us pay more.

What do you think?
Any similar situations?

Is this coach also the owner----my guess is no. Coaches usually do not set tuition for classes--the owner does that. Why are there so few kids in the class? Is it because they can't afford it, the coach wasn't teaching what they wanted to learn? Really its almost not worth it from a gym's point of view to have a class for only 4 girls. Its also unusual that you have a coach(even part time) that only coaches 1 class. Most teach 2 or 3.

If the coach is injured then she will be limited in what she can spot. This is where gym management should step in and have someone else help out with the class until this coach can spot again. I would think though in teaching sole circles and front tucks, she would have to spotting a little bit.

If you are this passionate about the sport then make an appointment to speak with the owners. It would probably be good to have at least 1 parent with you. Write out your concerns and see what the owner has to say.

No she is not the owner. I remember that my coach also said that when we had the schedule change she wanted to "stick with us because she loves our class". I honestly don't believe this and I believe she wants to stick with us because if she does she keeps her job.
And on the spotting, she doesn't spot us she gives us mats and a tumble trak and we try it on that.
She just watches and and sometimes talks to other coaches about stuff.

You do need a sole circle for L4...if you're talking about a split position sole circle. It's also called a mill circle...it's when you do a shoot through on the bar, switch your hands, and go around forward. You will need a front tuck in L6, and it might take a long time to learn, so it's good that you're starting now. As for the no-spotting issue...I believe it is a legit problem for coaches. My coach cannot spot anyone but the youngest girls, so she gets a younger coach who is in the gym at the same time to come and help if someone really needs a spot.

I believe this was stated in another thread, but prices might rise if numbers drop. I saw what you're paying and it looks EXPENSIVE. I don't believe she is trying to keep you at her level, because I see no reason she couldn't coach a L4 or 5 in the same class as the others, but it does seem a little fishy. If there's nothing tying you to that gym, could you find another? Or you could ask to be moved up to a L4 class on a trial basis to see if you can get the skills in a higher level class.

i meant the straddle on the bar and a forward roll off. and there are already l4 and 5 coaches so it's either this class or no class. Also, I don't believe she has the credentials to be teaching , which is why she doesn't teach anything higher

It sounds like you are attending a recreational class for older gymnasts, so the reason she isn't teaching you the skills required to compete is because your group isn't really expected to compete. Most gyms do this for teens who are not yet at a high level. They have a class where you can learn the more advanced skills, but they aren't preparing you to compete.

Wow. If you don't think you're getting proper coaching, then find another class and/or gym. Complaining online about your coach not being qualified isn't going to help and will probably just make you more upset. Most gyms train their coaches before they start coaching, and if your class quit, they would most likely give her another class. I second the idea that it sounds like a rec class that is probably not designed to lead to team.

Wow. If you don't think you're getting proper coaching, then find another class and/or gym. Complaining online about your coach not being qualified isn't going to help and will probably just make you more upset. Most gyms train their coaches before they start coaching, and if your class quit, they would most likely give her another class. I second the idea that it sounds like a rec class that is probably not designed to lead to team.
Actually it is a rec class, which they just switched because my coach has been telling me that we will move up and that we have to learn certain skills(which she isn't teaching and taking the time to teach us) to move up. I am very upset at this whole situation and I am trying to find a new gym but it's very hard because there aren't many near by. We are allowed to vent and if you sense that this was an advice / vent post then don't read it instead of telling me what to do.

Your coach doesn't make the schedule.

Your coach doesn't set the price.

Your coach probably doesn't set the curriculum either (i.e. if it's a "high school intermediate" or whatever class, then you'll learn the skills on a little chart that she has. Head coaches set these things, or owners, in the vast majority of gyms).

Your coach probably DOES love your class, and certainly loves coaching, because we don't *do* this if we don't love it. It's hard on our bodies. It's one of those jobs you have to mentally take home. It doesn't generally pay very well.

If I were your coach, and I were reading all this on the internet complaining about me and my teaching (while injured, no less), and questioning my motives, I'd be either hurt or angry, depending on your in-class demeanor. I'd be mostly upset that you asked a lot of random internet people questions & made assumptions rather than talking to me about it. Maybe you should try talking to your coach. Most of us aren't scary in the least, especially at the rec and preteam/developmental level.

My mother has already talked to my coach and she said that the prices haven't changed when they obviously have and do you think it makes sense that they raise the price 20 dollars more when it's the same amount of hours and days?

I might have to quit gymnastics because they keep raising the price every month when I'm doing the same things. It's not hard on her body, and i'm not saying it in a mean way, but she just tells us what to do, no examples, no nothing.

I am very frustrated and honestly I know that the owner doesn't care about if the prices are already at 285 and more just for 2 classes per week. I am hurt, my mom is hurt, and I am just posting to ask for advice, which thank you for those who have answered accordingly and helpfully instead of those who judge just because they are a coach themselves.

Just a note from the me the Mod here. If you ask for advice you are going to get it. I think you have recieved good advice and imput from all angles and you can only be gratefuul for that.

I can appreciate that you are frustrated with your gym situation, but you cannot take that out on people here who are trying to help you with their years of experience and great knowledge.

I do not think anyone has judged you, so lets move on from here please.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back