WAG Do you tip for private lessons

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

in our gym, only the head coach/ owner is allowed to do private lessons. We pay her directly after the private is over.

When I coach private lessons, the parent pays the front desk. $15 goes to the gym, and the rest to me, so I get more than double my normal hourly coaching rate. I've never been tipped and see no reason for it, as I'm making considerably more than usual.

Tipping for birthday parties is nice though.

I had never thought to tip for a private lesson. When DD was doing them we paid $15 for 30 minutes or $30 for an hour. It went straight to the coach, not the gym, so I've always assumed that's enough. I did tip when she had her birthday party there, though.

It might be a regional thing too. If you are in the NYC area I think you are supposed to tip for every personal service or you are considered a cheapskate = a bad person ;). Everywhere else it's probably not as necessary.

And OMG I never even thought to tip the gymnastics coaches at my kids' birthday party last year! Oops! I'm 3,000 miles from NYC so I'm probably OK, but my grandmother must have been rolling in her grave.

No! It has never even occurred to me, and I have never heard of tipping an instructor for any other type of private lessons (music, sports, etc.) that occur outside of a resort-type setting. It seems like it would come across as weird in the context of the gym. Tipping would imply a hierarchical relationship with the parent clearly in charge, which is not at all how it works.

Birthday parties are different because you are typically hiring teen coaches to do the exhausting job of entertaining a gaggle of hyper kids for two hours so you don't have to do it yourself. That definitely merits a tip.

Last year one of the level 3 dads tried to tip a coach after a meet. His other daughter shows horses and that is common. I had to settle the coach down because he was a little offended.

I used to do free privates until the gym stopped me from doing it. I didn't need the money but other coaches were using privates to really pad their income. Now the gym takes 1/2 of whatever we charge. Needless to say privates are much less common now.

The average coach does not make a lot of money. If you are doing privates because you want to do them (not because you feel pressured to do them)...and you want the coach to have more money...then tip.

Tips are not expected for private lessons in most places.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratuity

Last year one of the level 3 dads tried to tip a coach after a meet. His other daughter shows horses and that is common. I had to settle the coach down because he was a little offended.

I used to do free privates until the gym stopped me from doing it. I didn't need the money but other coaches were using privates to really pad their income. Now the gym takes 1/2 of whatever we charge. Needless to say privates are much less common now.
==
Sounds like the owners are in need of a renegotiation on behalf of the staff. 1/2 is BS. Do they not understand that coaching isn't a high paying job and this is how coaches make it?

That is an interesting thing ..... When customs and norms do not translate from one sport to another. Yep, showing horses = tips for trainer, groom, etc. But it would be very strange to tip your gymnastics coach after your kid's session at a meet!

This reminds me it is a great idea to ask others who have been around for a while what is the norm/what is the expected behavior for different situations when you aren't sure. Kudos to the OP for asking, and also to CB for being here so we can ask our interesting questions in a supportive atmosphere!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back