WAG Do your children eat veggies? Is a multivit pill an alternative?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

sportymom

So - is there anyone whose kiddies get a multivit?

DD ate a lot of fruit and veggies, but some weeks ago started to get stomach cramps etc. She was actually never really sick for a long time, but her stomach/digestion often bothered her now when I look back.

So we have been to several doctors and she also had a gastroscopy done. Everything is fine she is just reacting to raw food pretty bad. So she is not eating any raw veggies or fruit (except bananas) since 3 weeks and she is feeling great.
But as soon as she eats some veggies or fruit (slices of cucumber, tomatoes, apples, cherries...) for 2 days in a row, she gets stomach problems, starts vomiting, gets diarrhea...
We also tried green smoothies, but they cause the same problems.

So not really funny. I am now concerend that she is not getting all nutrients she needs, because she trains a lot and needs it.

I watch her diet, so mainly (besides some sweets :p ) she eats rice, potatoes, noodles, grilled chicken breast, eggs, bread with cheese+ham+some low fat spread, bananas, oats, she eats a lot of greek youghurt and low fat curd cheese. She also drinks 2 cups of chocolate milk a day. She eats a handful of nuts also.

But as you can - no veggies or fruit :( I am really sad about that, we have many fruit-trees in our garden as weel as a vegetable patch and our whole familiy usually eats healthy.

What do you think about multivits? Can they really help in my situation? And can you recommend one that cotains everything?

Hope you can help!

Thanks!

Wow, that sounds pretty grim (though as a child, if I were suddenly unable to eat veg I think I would have been overjoyed! ;) ) you said that she was struggling with raw fruit and veg, does that mean that she can handle it when cooked?

I would speak to her doctor/whoever did the gastroscopy about vitamins etc, they are most likely to know what is best and may be able to prescribe it so that you don't have to pay £££££ for an expensive supplement.

Good luck and I hope she's feeling better soon!

Can you stew the fruit?
I stew fruit then we eat it with yoghurt, custard etc or added to porridge I cook it in season then freeze in ice cube trays to use out of season, the frozen cubes have the added advantage of making porridge the correct temp to eat.

P&F has never liked cooked veg but will happily eat it raw so I have the opposite problem. Are you absolutely sure its all veg, as there are some trigger foods that upset sensitive systems. I would be tempted to re-introduce foods one by one until you come across the culprit. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone allergic to ALL fruit and veg. It is such an important part of their diets not only for the vitamins but for the roughage that it would realy bother me to cut it out. Lack of digestive transit is a major factor in diseases of the colon in later life.

@Iwannabemargo : intolerance, not allergy.
Basically all fruit and veg contain salicylates which some people react poorly to.

There are resources at fedup.com.au on food intolerances
There is a great ipad app called something exciting like 'food intolerances' that lists whether foods are high in amines/salicylates etc.
There are also lists in the RPA elimination diet handbook http://www.sswahs.nsw.gov.au/rpa/allergy/resources/foodintol/handbook.htmlbut I like the ipad app a lot better.

not heard of that before so looked it up, as you do.

Apparently if you do have salicylate intolerance its very serious, however there are tests for it and you can treat it with desensitisation.

I would be back down to the doctors pronto asking for more tests / investigations just so you know what you are dealing with -

good luck

Doctors (at least here) tend not to be very good with this sort of stuff. Dietitians or nutritionist are more knowledgable (although I think nutritionists in Australia are different from nutritionists in the US, don't know about the UK).
In our experience, immunologists/allergists are in two different camps and either 'believe in' food intolerances or vehemently deny that they exist.

So - is there anyone whose kiddies get a multivit?

DD ate a lot of fruit and veggies, but some weeks ago started to get stomach cramps etc. She was actually never really sick for a long time, but her stomach/digestion often bothered her now when I look back.

So we have been to several doctors and she also had a gastroscopy done. Everything is fine she is just reacting to raw food pretty bad. So she is not eating any raw veggies or fruit (except bananas) since 3 weeks and she is feeling great.
But as soon as she eats some veggies or fruit (slices of cucumber, tomatoes, apples, cherries...) for 2 days in a row, she gets stomach problems, starts vomiting, gets diarrhea...
We also tried green smoothies, but they cause the same problems.

So not really funny. I am now concerend that she is not getting all nutrients she needs, because she trains a lot and needs it.

I watch her diet, so mainly (besides some sweets :p ) she eats rice, potatoes, noodles, grilled chicken breast, eggs, bread with cheese+ham+some low fat spread, bananas, oats, she eats a lot of greek youghurt and low fat curd cheese. She also drinks 2 cups of chocolate milk a day. She eats a handful of nuts also.

But as you can - no veggies or fruit :( I am really sad about that, we have many fruit-trees in our garden as weel as a vegetable patch and our whole familiy usually eats healthy.

What do you think about multivits? Can they really help in my situation? And can you recommend one that cotains everything?

Hope you can help!

Thanks!
I react very poorly to raw veg and fruit myself - more veg than fruit, and its not absolutely everything, but it has been a lot of trial and error on my part. But the upside is almost any veg cooked is fine - doesn't have to be cooked down to mush either. Stewed fruit is a great alternative also as long as you are not adding sugar to it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back