Parents Does anyone else's child wear contacts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

needcoffee

Proud Parent
DD has awful eyes, current prescription is +6 and getting worse. My dodgy genetics fault. :D she's been asking for contacts for awhile for gym, but I wasn't sure if she was too young, until talking to another mum who's dd has had them since she was 8. DD is 10.

She's been going to gym had blind for awhile now as her glasses just fall off on most events, but I guess it's time to look into contacts for her. Does anyone else's child wear them? How do they go with them? Can they put them in themselves? I don't actually take her to gym on school days, she goes straight from school so would need to be able to master it herself. She's also a total airhead, and I worry about her losing them, especially at the cost of them.

Any tips or advice?

My daughter started wearing them at age 10. They have to be able to put them in and take them out on their own before the eye doctor allows them. They practice at their appointment. Most girls get it pretty easy. It will depend on eye prescription and cost on which type you and your doctor decide on for your daughter. She will love being able to see and should while doing anything at the gym.
My DD absolutely loves hers and actually sees better with them than wearing her glasses.
Good luck!

My girl is 11 and got them about 6 months ago. It took her a week or two to get them in and out efficiently, but now she can do it with ease. So far, no issues with losing them!

She does make sure to have a case, solution and backup glasses in her gym bag because occasionally chalk will irritate the lens and need a quick rinse. But, generally she much prefers her contacts over glasses for practice!

My 12 year old DD got them when she was 10, she has the dailies (so do I) so I don't have to worry about her cleaning them etc. so far no issues except her losing one in the bathroom minutes before her state meet!!! Lesson learned. Keep an extra pair in the gym bag/purse. She managed to compete fine without it somehow.

My DS (10) tried them recently. He found it really difficult and frustrating to get them in. He did like them once they were in, but after a couple of weeks decided to go with an adjustable elastic string to keep his glasses on, and he is happy with this solution.

...decided to go with an adjustable elastic string to keep his glasses on, and he is happy with this solution.
Would it be possible for you to post a link or a photo?
Mine has just picked up her glasses and they gave her this thing they called a sports band but it isn't convincing me...

She's worn daily disposable for sports since she was 6. She was able to put them in herself at 8. Our optometrist felt this was the best option for her. I've see kids competing with glasses too. I suspect the best option varies depending on the kid.

Would it be possible for you to post a link or a photo?
Mine has just picked up her glasses and they gave her this thing they called a sports band but it isn't convincing me...
He tried a bunch of different things including special sports glasses, which he hated. The elastic thing is discrete and effective, and he often forgets he is wearing it and leaves it on after gym. I will take a photo when he gets home from school today

Mine stared wearing them at 7. She is almost 9 now and never had any problems. She has the daily disposables.
Her eyes are TERRIBLE without her contacts or glasses.

My son wire them at 8. Loved them at first; but then said he hated how they felt in his eyes in the gum (gym they were at at that time WAS really chalky in the air). He now refuses to wear them except when he is skiing (and even pushes back a bit then). This year he started wearing sports glasses and he seems to like those.

My daughter started wearing contacts about six months ago, at age 10. She wears the monthly disposables. She didn't have any problems adapting to them and prefers them over wearing glasses at gym. The staff at Target Optical in my area was very patient at teaching her how to put them in. I think it's important that the teaching is done correctly (i.e. patience and emphasizing hand hygiene :)).

Good luck!

DD started wearing them for gym at age 10. She has daily disposables so it doesn't matter if they get lost (though she has learned to keep an extra pair in her bag). There was about a week of adjustment period where they were difficult for her to put in or take out, but after that it has been completely smooth sailing -- she's had them for 2 years now. Her vault scores when up about .5 after she got them and she realized that she hadn't been able to see the springboard clearly from the end of the runway. Beam was better too. For me, I feel like they are safer than glasses if she were ever to fall on her face. Probably not really true, but they make me feel better.

@COz - here is a similar strap- he actually remembered to leave his at gym today so can't take a photo of the real thing yet. My DS's has longer 'sleeves' for the arms of the glasses and is black but otherwise it is similar
image.jpg

Reactions: COz
My dd started wearing contacts when she was 8. At first she could get them out, but had trouble putting them in. So I would have her try to get them in and after like 5 minutes of trying, I'd put them in for her (little freaky for me as I don't have any eye problems and that was my 1st experience with contacts). This went on for about 3 weeks and then she was finally able to get them in and out on her own. I know that it is not usual to have a kid walk out of the dr's office without being able to put them in and take them out, but her vision is bad enough that it warranted it. She is a +7.5 in one eye and a +8 in the other, so she is basically blind. ha ha. Dr felt it was important for her to be able to see while she was in the gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back