Parents Does anyone know the new requirements

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If you go to the "preview" link this gives you an idea of what the changes are...however, as much as I'm an "overinvolved" gym mom, I leave the specifics to the coaches. It is their job to make sure that your child has the correct elements in their routines. With older kids who get involved in choreographing or changing their routines, they will discuss things w/the coaches.

Hi, our owner came out just yesterday and was saying that the requirements for all Optionals were changing next season (at least in region 5). The special requirements for L7 were getting much tougher, most of it having to do with the bar skills. It kinda sounds like they really want the gymnast to do a giant at L7. The deductions for not casting above 3/4 and not hitting clear hip at 3/4 and with an new added special requirement of a rotating (circling) element.....they really get nailed on start value.

Our gym has always opted out of L6 in favor of moving on to L7, but the owner is considering having a L6 team next season for the 1st time (due to all those new special requirements on bars). She wants to sit down and really study the new rules before making any decisions though.

As far as the other events.....mind you these are last years requirements,...
BEAM - a flight (could be bhs, or round-off), a series (cartwheel-cartwheel, or back walkover-back walkover [preferred], and jump series (split jump-tuck jump..example)

VAULT - front handspring (same as L6, just more height and blocking is expected)
FLOOR- Front tumling pass (front handspring step out-front tuck), there's another front tumbling I think, 2 back tumbling passes ( backhandspring-back layout, and bhs-back tuck), jump series, 1 1/2 turn.

That's what I can remember, I hope that helps some. My dd is training L6/L7 now, so we haven't competed it yet. I'm going by what the owner & L7 parents were telling me. Hopefully I didn't forget much, lol[/quote]

BTW...I don't think that's over-involved to learn what the requirements are for ea. level. As long as you're not trying to coach your kid from the stands, what can be harmful about knowing what your dd is up for? There is such a thing as a knowledgeable parent versus an aggressive coaching parent, lol.

did they just change them this week? Our gym has been out for the past week for april vacation

Cher--The official change comes out in print on June 1 although most of the L7 info is available at the link Mariposa put up. There is a discussion on this in the Q & A forum and several coaches noted the changes for L7 are slight---clear hip must be horizontal or will only be credited as an A skill and a little change to the leap/dance series on floor.

The changes for Level 7 bars are to make a more consistent progression from Level 6. The requirement for casts and circling for Level 6 are 3/4 handstand. Originally there was no cast HS requirement for a L7 routine, which kind of violated the progression between levels theory. They added that this past season, with more significant deduction or change in start value for the severe missed HS attempt. There is no requirement to giant as a L7, but it is the preferred progression for a circle through or to a handstand as a L7. Long hang pullover as L6 is supposed to be a baby giant in dynamics, I wish they would just call it that, maybe the girls would get the importance of making the effort to make it so, rather than just get by.

The changes are in the name of consistent progression across the levels, not really that they just want more.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back