Parents Does it ever go away?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

RTT2

Proud Parent
The parental stress and anxiety about injury/skills/competitions/all the other stuff that goes along with gymnastics or does it just get worse if they continue to move up through the higher levels?

Asking for my liver...

for injuries? definitely worse. I think we learn to live with it better though. If I think too much about it, my anxiety sky rockets but I have learned to tune it out - until my phone rings and I see either the gym's number or my dd's cell number pop up...

As far as skills and competition. I think that's different. I am of the mindset that "it will come when it comes" and if you force it, whether consciously or subconsciously, it will be worse. So I don't get anxiety, per se, but I do feel for my dd who does feel that anxiety about getting her skills in time to compete.

The stress and anxiety over injuries has only gotten worse as my daughter has moved up the levels. And to add to this, if the goals are college gym, the stress about that whole process and importance of scores as they relate to this goal really up that anxiety level even more. You always think over the years, if only she gets her x skill, or gets to x level, or gets to whatever, I can stop worrying and relax, but no. There is simply a lot of stress that goes with the high levels. Sorry!

for injuries? definitely worse. I think we learn to live with it better though. If I think too much about it, my anxiety sky rockets but I have learned to tune it out - until my phone rings and I see either the gym's number or my dd's cell number pop up...

Soooo true. I'd love to know how much my blood pressure spikes when I see the gym's number or one of my kids' numbers on caller ID when they're at practice. The last time the office manager had to call me, the first thing she said when I picked up the phone was "no one is hurt." I appreciated that . . .

Oh and I want to add, for the longest time, I always thought that when my daughter got to level 10 then I could stop worrying and relax. So not true ( if anyone is thinking that).

I would like to know what you parents do to cope at meets (please dont say drink or eat vodka gummybears). I almost started a thread on this last night!

Oh and to answer the question...it gets worse. Much.

I would like to know what you parents do to cope at meets (please dont say drink or eat vodka gummybears). I almost started a thread on this last night!

Oh and to answer the question...it gets worse. Much.
I talk to other parents, read, talk walks around the building. Anything to keep my mind off the meet. When she is actually competing, I always video. It really helps me to see the routine through a screen vs watching in full view - I know that sounds crazy and it is all just psychological but it really helps me.

I talk to other parents, read, talk walks around the building. Anything to keep my mind off the meet. When she is actually competing, I always video. It really helps me to see the routine through a screen vs watching in full view - I know that sounds crazy and it is all just psychological but it really helps me.

I agree! Videoing is key! Much easier to watch the scary stuff small.....

Videoing really helps my nerves too!! DD recently had her in-house meet and this was the first time I thought I was going to puke while watching her...and she had a spot for both the double back and bail. May need to bring some barf bags to meets. I. Am. Not. Kidding.

Its a continued stress everyday.
I video it as well...it makes me feel like I am not watching. I know it seems weird but it helps calm my nerves.
Just make sure you don't say anything by mistake . :eek:
Some days I wish it was just over but then the good days help remind me why she does it.

I bought a video camera this year and during the first meet I was worried about making a good video and less about her. It helped me very much. I it's nice to have the videos and to watch them after the meet when results and feelings are over.

How do you video when your hands are shaking so much? I have to hand my camera to a friend to film for me.

I've found that "borrowing" one of my friend's anti-anxiety meds on meet days helps my nerves immensely. As do the fun-size shot bottles in the parking lot. I'm loving the vodka gummy bears idea.

Nope, the skills just get scarier. At meets I pace, eat, hide, and try to video. After each practice it's what hurts tonight??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back