Parents Does it ever go away?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

@Flippincrazy I hear you and I agree. For years I have been that person pacing and hiding, talking to myself. I did better last year with some self-help literature. This year I can almost watch with a smile. I am hoping filming will get me over the top this year. Good Luck.

This weekend, DS could not hold onto his rings giant, but nonetheless bailed out of it into his dismount. He landed, fell backwards, bounced off the mat, and nearly bashed his head onto the hard floor. I've gotten much better on video the last few years, but on this one you can hear me saying the s word at the end of that video. It's a good thing I got it out of my system, because he somehow managed to execute an even more terrifying dismount from pommel horse, of all things. The best thing in that video is watching his coach's face as he's thinking "OMG didIneedtospotthiskidonpommel nowayIcangetthere he'sgonnadie . . . WHEW!"

My hubby videos for me as well, and I walk to a hidden corner where I can peak through my fingers. Except for floor. I can watch floor, but that's it. I love watching her teammates though, that part is fun!

Dd had her first meet of the season this weekend. She and I were both fine on vault. And she did better than she expected so I was hoping it would carry over. But she was a mess on bars, bad warm up, lost her confidence, etc. So I was a mess. I hid behind the GK stand and chatted with the lovely mom selling leos and listened to her tell me all about her level 9/10 daughter. I could barely watch. Beam was a little better, and then I was all good by floor, both because it's easier and more fun to watch, and because it was almost over. I had all these resolutions that it was going to be better this year, I was going to be stronger, I wasn't going to let it get to me. But I can't seem to control my nerves.

I too feel the pressure and desire for my DD to be successful. I decided that it does not matter how she scores, it only matters that she is happy when the meet in over. Her goal is to become a level10 and not to win meets.

My take away is watch enjoy the meet, enjoy your gymnast and their performances. Gymnastics and their youth will all be over in a flash.
Oh the nerves certainly are NOT about winning or scores. It is so many other things that stress me out - like not getting hurt (which kept getting worse as she got further), and about wanting to see her hit because she has worked so hard, which is different than a high score. I can't control the butterflies! And I sure wish I could so I could just enjoy it. :-(

This weekend, DS could not hold onto his rings giant, but nonetheless bailed out of it into his dismount. He landed, fell backwards, bounced off the mat, and nearly bashed his head onto the hard floor. I've gotten much better on video the last few years, but on this one you can hear me saying the s word at the end of that video. It's a good thing I got it out of my system, because he somehow managed to execute an even more terrifying dismount from pommel horse, of all things. The best thing in that video is watching his coach's face as he's thinking "OMG didIneedtospotthiskidonpommel nowayIcangetthere he'sgonnadie . . . WHEW!"
J*s*s CHR*ST.:eek:

Oh the nerves certainly are NOT about winning or scores. It is so many other things that stress me out - like not getting hurt (which kept getting worse as she got further), and about wanting to see her hit because she has worked so hard, which is different than a high score. I can't control the butterflies! And I sure wish I could so I could just enjoy it. :-(

Yes, my nerves are primarily because she cares so much, works so hard, and wants to hit her goals. I know disappointment and failure are all part of life, but I want her to have success when she has worked so hard, so I stress out. DD has a very intense personality and I internalize her hopes, dreams, and fears because she shares them with me. I will likely be a wreck if she does make it to the upper levels.

I would like to know what you parents do to cope at meets (please dont say drink or eat vodka gummybears). I almost started a thread on this last night!

Oh and to answer the question...it gets worse. Much.
best meet ever had a bar (the adult kind with cocktails)..... oh and i was on some pretty good muscle relaxers due to a compressed nerve. still with 1/2 a pill and a smallish drink - i was still nervous! and no, i wasn't driving. i even took a full valium at some meets last year and they did nothing b/c i was so anxious. other times they will knock me out. :rolleyes:

Yes! RTT, We probably have similar type daughters (I'm sure many on this list could be described this way) and you sound a little like me... I am making it through though I won't lie, it has been very consuming and stressful journey. It will be ok!

Yes! RTT, We probably have similar type daughters (I'm sure many on this list could be described this way) and you sound a little like me... I am making it through though I won't lie, it has been very consuming and stressful journey. It will be ok!

"Consuming" is exactly the word I often use to describe gymnastics.

"Consuming" is exactly the word I often use to describe gymnastics.
I think back to the beginning.... it's almost hard to remember feeling like this, but when she first started, I could have cared less. But fairly soon after she started, she began determinedly striving for the next level and so it began. I was dragged along on her journey since she also poured out her hopes and dreams to me after each practice. How could you not be? When something is so important to your child it becomes so important to you.

Being on the floor coaching helps me tremendously! I dread the meets that I have to be a spectator at. At least when I am coaching, I feel like I have a wee bit of control over the situation. Where if I sit in the stands, I feel completely helpless.

Yes, my nerves are primarily because she cares so much, works so hard, and wants to hit her goals. I know disappointment and failure are all part of life, but I want her to have success when she has worked so hard, so I stress out. DD has a very intense personality and I internalize her hopes, dreams, and fears because she shares them with me. I will likely be a wreck if she does make it to the upper levels.

All of this 100%. Well said.

For me honestly i can say the nerves are almost 100 percent because i just want her to stay healthy. If she has a bad meet its ok, because it does happen. To everyone. But the skills are just....getting...scary....so the perspective has changed.

I think it's both. I worry far less about progress and scores/placements, but worry more about injuries. And that goes for all of them, not just my kids.

Same.

I always video, too, because my kids ant to see themselves after the meet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back