Coaches Does this skill have a name?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

coachinkal

My DD is competing optionals this year (competed L6 last year). We have been trying a few different things on h/bar.

We can basically make up his routine with A and B elements. I am trying to get creative.

We have been working on some free hip and free hip to handstand drills.

He is able to do a swing pullover and rather than staying on top of the bar and touching the bar he comes staight over and into another swing. Does this have another name? I am not sure if this is actually a skilll or just a drill for giants or free hips?

It seems to be different from a baby giant, 3/4 giant. This appears to start with a cast, swing under to swing pullover, onto bar into an underswing.

Would appreciate any advice?

If he can swing to clear support without assistance and do free hip handstand then he should be able to learn a giant within a few months. How is his giant on strap bar?

We don't have a strap bar, and we don't have foam pits.

He cannot do the free hip to handstand yet.

One of the drills we have been working is a clear hip to push out and land on block and he can do this. He can also do a swing to a swing pullover all the way around but not through handstand. It looks a bit messy at the moment. Not sure if it is worth continuing to work on this or just do a baby giant instead?

I would work the giant at this point, honestly. It sounds like he could get it, or at least is ready to start working on it now.

Do you have a mini tramp and floor bar? You can probably set up a modified tramp bar using these pieces of equipment and working on the shoot to handstand. Then teach falling from a handstand to a mat (cast over with spot), starting on a lower bar and progressing to the high bar. When he can fall correctly, lower the bar and work from a bent leg swing (important to stretch out until the feet are near the floor and only bend once going through the bottom. You can start this going through the clear support he can already do and then progress to handstand.

We don't have too much time before competition. I really need to start putting the routine together now. Just don't think the giant would come together in time.

We do have a floor bar. Thanks for those drills, will keep working on these, for the future.

He tried the baby giant tonight. He was able to do this without too much difficulty. Certainly would look ok by competition time.

We might even do the kip after the underswing coming out of the baby giant, as the swing is not too big to glide from.

Thanks for your help.

Oh, okay. I thought you were uptraining at the end of your season. Since you don't have a pit/strap bar I would keep doing some shoot to handstand drills now. You can even use a wedge mat or any mat so his back is on it and he can push off, candle to handstand (with a mat he will probably need a spot, I don't have any beginner gianter/free hipper who do this very easily). Also he can just practice back roll to handstand or (again with spot) hollow rocks then on the third one press back against the floor and try to get the shoulders up. Actually hollow rocks to roll over to pushup could help the baby giant to clear support.

At this point I would work either the kip or dismount out of the clear support. I think those will be the best options. It is good practice for now anyway to learn to control the glide out of a bigger swinging skill now.

I would also work on planche strength, have him start in handstand, with a spot lower down to planche, and then back up to handstand. Another tip to improve the clear support skills is to have them get in a push up and push the space between the shoulder blades and under the neck up to the ceiling (a deep hollow) and then tell him when he is coming over the bar to push this part of his back up to the ceiling (I also tell them to push like this dropping into a free hip).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back