WAG Does USAG compulsory text and exemplar video lead Righties to Right-hurdle RO?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Is your hurdle for round off same side as your dominant hand

• Same side dominant hand and hurdle (e.g., Right handed, Right knee up to hurdle)

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • Opposite side hand and hurdle (Right handed, Left knee up hurdle)

Votes: 25 61.0%

• Total voters
Sorry, but this is freaking fingernails on chalkboard level of annoyance. DOCTORAL, not doctorate degree. It's like calling a female graduate of an institution "an alumni." Shudder. Also, I do not believe there is an accredited Ph.D. in group behavior, at least not in the United States. That would be akin to claiming a doctoral degree in Jane Austen rather than in English.

l.
Think I figured out the quote thing:)

Profmom there are Behavioural science degrees available in the US, I assume it's similar to Aus where degrees are tailored to the students interests (papers selected in areas of interest).

I assumed this is what Alyssa S. meant, was trying to shed some light on the enquiries made by other CBers.

Just for comparison, my degree (not doctoral mind you, but the school offers it) is in "Psychology and Social Behavior". "Group Behavior" to me would be more akin to sociology. That said, I agree I'm not sure it matters, but what IS odd to me is the unwillingness of people to own their own statements, which to me discredits much of what they say.

OK, so this is kind of related to the actual topic, in that it's about the affect of encouraging a possibly non-dominant side:

My 3 year old has always appeared to have a strong left dominance (holding stuff, eating, kicking, throwing) yet has started to 'write' and eat with his right hand because he is copying his sister.
If I tell him it's OK to use the other hand, sometimes he swaps, sometimes he says he wants to keep using that hand. He has more control with the left, but is practicing more on the right and they are fairly equal now.
Do I encourage him to write with the hand which I'm pretty sure is dominant? Or do I let him 'swap' to a non-dominant side because that may be useful in terms of not smudging stuff when writing etc?
(I'm planning on letting him decide, but he may be home schooled so there won't be an outside influence pushing for right)

My gymmie girl is right dominant for writing etc. but does left foot forwards for cartwheels, left splits better etc.
In her group of about a dozen there would be maybe a third of them that are lefties for gymnastics and I think only one of those is left-handed. The coaches have absolutely no trouble dealing with this, both the Australian coaches and the coaches with an Asian background.

When my daughter suddenly decided that she should work her non-dominant side and switched everything for 2 training sessions, I was the only one who noticed (she's little, they weren't doing anything very exciting). She'd reasoned that ballet worked both sides so she'd better practice on the other side too.
I told the coach who talked to her, made sure she knew which was her dominant side and made it clear to stick to that side.

One of my DD's teammate is working on a CW gainer dismount and it looks really cool. I told DD that I though the dismount was neat and she informed me that she wasn't able to do it because "she's a rightie but she stands on her right leg for her gainer." I tsked about it and she said that it was fine because she would be able to connect her BHS to a gainer.

Because of this thread, I'm starting to see the significance of that conversation.

Interesting stuff. Does anyone remember figure skater, Oksana Baiul colliding with the German skater during warm ups at the 1994 Olympic Games? I remember at the time, a big deal was made of the fact that she was the only right twister on the ice so she had to skate against the flow of traffic. I don't know much about figure skating but I believe all left twisting jumps land on the right leg? Presumably, the landing leg would be most skater's dominant leg. It is my understanding that most figure skaters are left twisters.

I may be totally off on this but my guess is that is that it is crucial to take off from your dominant leg (higher jump), not to land on your dominant leg. Thus if a jump lands on the same leg you take off from (which I think most do) then you land on your dominant leg. If a jump lands on the opposite leg you take off from, then you don't land on your dominant leg. But the idea is it is driven by the take off not the landing...could be wrong though. I think this is sort of like preferring to step into a handstand with your left leg forward so you can use your right leg to kick up.

By "some people" I assume you mean me :)

I was interested because Alyssa made a few comments about how her and her husband's higher degrees had helped with something or rather.
She also (in my interpretation) accused Dunno of making up research and said she couldn't find any published work on whatever area was being discussed, which implied at least a familiarity with the area.
The above interactions and her references to her qualifications made me think that it would perhaps help us understand her background.

Alyssa did say that she had a 'dry land' training facility(?) for diving in her basement or something and had coached diving at an international level. Or was that her husband? Or am I now confusing posters? I don't know, it's all very confusing.

Someone arguing about research, techniques and questioning the qualifications of others should at least be prepared to disclose their own qualifications.

But hey, it doesn't matter what I think. I don't even own a trampoline!

Just ftr Alyssa isn't the poster with the dry land diving facility...that was kimkuzuma (or something like that) in the thread asking about whether her six year old was especially advanced....unless Alyssa and kimkuzuma are actually the same person. ...ooooo conspiracy theory duh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh

I may be totally off on this but my guess is that is that it is crucial to take off from your dominant leg (higher jump), not to land on your dominant leg. Thus if a jump lands on the same leg you take off from (which I think most do) then you land on your dominant leg. If a jump lands on the opposite leg you take off from, then you don't land on your dominant leg. But the idea is it is driven by the take off not the landing...could be wrong though. I think this is sort of like preferring to step into a handstand with your left leg forward so you can use your right leg to kick up.

In skating you always land on the same leg, which is your nondominant leg (right leg for CCW, left for CW). Not all of the jumps take off on the same leg. Waltz jump and axel take off from a forward outside edge on the dominant leg (left for CCW, right for CW). Flip and salchow take off from a back inside edge on the dominant leg. Lutz takes off from a back outside edge on the dominant leg. Loop and toe loop take off from a back outside edge on the nondominant leg.

What really drives the choice of direction for skating is the direction in which you are most comfortable rotating. This is often tested by having students try spinning and waltz jumps both ways to see which works better, or by having the student face away from the coach and then turn around to see which way she turns.

Just ftr Alyssa isn't the poster with the dry land diving facility...that was kimkuzuma (or something like that) in the thread asking about whether her six year old was especially advanced....unless Alyssa and kimkuzuma are actually the same person. ...ooooo conspiracy theory duh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh
Alyssa (consistently) said that person was a man. I thought that might be the husband as they arrived on the same day. Either way he seems to have vanished.
But we're all anonymous right? Perhaps I'm male. I'd better check :)

Alyssa (consistently) said that person was a man. I thought that might be the husband as they arrived on the same day. Either way he seems to have vanished.
But we're all anonymous right? Perhaps I'm male. I'd better check :)

I actually thought they were either the same person or connected in some way too. But, really, who could blame us all for being a little suspicious with all the interesting characters that have graced this board over the last few years...

I actually thought they were either the same person or connected in some way too. But, really, who could blame us all for being a little suspicious with all the interesting characters that have graced this board over the last few years...
I thought at first that they were the same person. Something didn't seem quite right.

I don't know him. But I tried to understand him, which offended a few popular posters (and some of their followers). On that thread, @dunno took a position about twisting that I thought would be repeated here because @dunno was so adamant that there IS ONLY one correct approach to twisting. But this thread contradicts that approach, which was just grossly overstated.

It's disappointing to witness such widespread paranoia and petty character attacks when someone simply disagrees with you and some of your hero posters and followers. Very unamerican (or just weak.)

Mod note -

Closing this down, way off topic, and veering in to some personal attacks. I have tried to let this thread find it's own way, but enough is enough, I think the topic is done.

If anyone has anything to say on the original subject please PM me and I can reopen it, but if anyone just wants to poke sharp sticks at other members, do not bother.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back