Parents Does your child have a 'fallback' sport?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

But those ARE sports....sports don't have to be organized. :)That's the beautiful thing about them. And man can you learn a lot about yourself rock climbing. Been there. Done that. And still doing it from time to time...:D

oh, I agree...I just said I didn't think he would do another competitive sport :) But those others are right up his alley. When he has time, that kiddo is a monkey on the rocks! Just like his dad. Me....I bring sandwiches ;)

Currently kickball. Other than basketball she hasn't really showed any other interest in sports besides gymnastics.

I'd be curious how my daughter would do with track. At some point we are all going to golf as a family so I'm curious how she would take to that. At a much younger age she showed talent as a swimmer.

For DD, sorta. She competed cheer the past two years. This year she has to choose one (competition schedules conflict), and gymnastics wins hands-down. Hopefully, she can easily pick it back up in the future. And fingers crossed she doesn't miss it too much. She also tried volleyball this year, but I would be totally surprised if she asks to try again next year.

For DS, YES. He loves most things that are sporty. He plays baseball and football, runs track and cross country, picked up snowboarding and skiing this past winter, and loves to swim (and has an interest in diving, which we haven't committed to trying yet). Gymnastics and baseball are currently tied for #1, though - I think baseball is the main "backup"! He's young yet and just looking to compete L5, so I let him try pretty much anything he likes if it works. Eventually, he'll get to a point where he'll have to make some tough choices (I honestly suspect he'll chose to leave gymnastics to try to pursue all of the other things, but I've been wrong before!).

My ds has found medieval sword fighting, if he stopped doing gymnastics he'd spend many more hours learning it. As well, I think he could transition to wrestling if he ever stopped gymnastics.

My DS is into this too! Such a cool sport, and he really loves it. He also does some rock climbing. He's got an open invitation to compete in either if he ever gives up gym.

Does a stunt girl count ? dd 8 said she would love to be a stunt girl as she watched some woman on TV and it looked great fun :D , she has never spoken of another sport to be honest she does love the trampoline but I would rather she didn't go down that route to be honest .

I think when season is over next April, DD will try out for track. (Apparently it's a very short season here). And if she makes it and likes it, plans to try out the next year in high school :) (she was very proud that she had the fastest mile in her P.E. class... beating all the boys..)

Mine is actually finishing up with competitive gymnastics next week. She loves basketball and has recently gotten to work out with her middle school team. Plans to try out in Nov. So it looks like it will be basketball and maybe middle school soccer this fall. She definitely has other sports interests and I am excited to see what she develops a passion for.

Mine would just as soon give up school and eating, and just play all the sports all the time.

I am so not an athlete - how I ended up with one is the life of me. So far, he has done tae kwon do, soccer, and swimming extensively. Has done clinics or kid camps in football, lacrosse, and baseball. He wants to play football, I'm not going to have it. He will be trying baseball for real this coming fall. However, he's not loved anything yet the way he loves the gym.

both DD's also dance. We try to keep older gymmie in as much dance as we can (she wishes there were more hours in the day so she could do more) but her heart says gym first, dance second. In my mind, I love that she has another passion in case an injury or something closes her gym door before she is ready.

Until this year Dds backup was dance - she's passionate but doesn't live and breathe it like her gym, Ds currently does basketball, soccer, karate & drumming but he's 2 years younger.
With escalating hours he will soon be forced to choose because of timetable clashes.
Me... I was the round kid who loved to read and continually struggle to understand the genetics my husband blessed our kids with lol

Love this...big time water skier here (I know, I know....but I am old school)!

I have an old O'brien TRC double high wrap. We ski behind a 1994 Malibu Flightcraft Sportster. I'd like to get a new ski...but the Flightcraft wake is kind of hard...so not worth the cost of a new ski unless I have a better wake first.

Here's the 5 year old having some fun...

4d19e0c920fc88ae2e99a80e01a6b5fc.jpg

I had them both in year-round swim team as soon as they were old enough, starting about age 5 (I am from FL). DS quit at 7 to focus only on gymnastics, but when injuries made him quit gym at 10 I was able to throw him right back in the pool at the same approximate practice hours. He is a state-meet qualifier a year later, even though he has among the worst possible birthdates for age group competition. His sister never quit swimming and does 9 hours/week of gymnastics team for fun. They are very good swimmers but they are also very tall. DD will likely continue Xcel for two more years and take leave when she has to start high school.

She does 3 other sports. She just asked me to take one of them year round and I had to tell her there was no way with gymnastics! I'm with whoever upthread said their child would rather give up eating and schooling and just play sports! In fact it is her love of other sports that will put an expiration date on her gymnastics - I'm pretty sure of that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back