Parents Does your childs gym host a meet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What do parents receive as compensation for working the meet?

I am asking because we are considering a gym change, and this new gym hosts an annual meet where the parent is required to work, but receives no credit toward anything - it is just an obligation. Any other gyms that handle home meets this way?

Our club hasn't hosted, but I know in our division the clubs that host keep all the money they make, Parents are not forced to volunteer ('cos then they wouldn't be volunteers would they!) but they are encouraged a lot to help out over what are very long weekends, including set up and take down of two full gyms, one for warm up and one for the meet.

I am relieved that our club hasn't hosted.

We host two meets a year,one is a club annual club meet (900 gymmies attend- 3 days), the other a state meet. We do not receive anything directly from the meets but it keeps our team fees low. We are requuired to work 2 to 4 sessions per meet as a family. The money we earn goes into the booster club account and goes towards paying all fees and travel for the coaches.

We pay $650 in team commitment and our girls do 6 to 8 meets per level. At the lower levels where most meets are close, you pay close to all the costs for your gymmies fees. As you go higher and travel more it is quite a deal. The 8's, 9's and 10's have 4 out of state meets per year, plus regionals and nationals.

We also get volunteers from our local college team who use the hours to fullfill their service commitment. I think it is fair,and it has always been this way, although before we got scoreing signs there were alot more hours needed for flashers.

Our gym hosted it's first meet this past spring. I know parents worked it but I think it was just volunteers. I know we weren't required to do it but I also don't think there was any credit for doing it or anything. Our tuition fees are pretty low so hosting the meet helped make money for the gym and I think most of the parents are happy to help out. This year we're hosting a fall meet, a spring meet and we're the host gym for the AAU L2-L3 state meet, which is about 500 kids.

Our club hosts one meet.The parents are asked to volunteer but it is not a requirement and there is no compensation.Of course you are able to see the session for free when you volunteer.So I volunteered on a session were my daughter had some of her teammates compete so she could watch them.

our gym got one last year but this year we didnt make the draw!
We are suppose to help but they reaslise things do happen. (we were not part of the team at this time)

We host 1 compulsory and 1 optional meet per year. Since it is the booster club and not the gym as the host, the booster club keeps all the proceeds. Last year we did have to ask the gym for some extra help(people wise) on the compulsory meet so they did end up with a split on profits. Parents that work get credit for volunteer hours(old gym just made you work the meets---no credit for anything) and if you're a volunteer, you get in free.

For the last two years, our gym has hosted at least 2 meets--one compulsory, one optional. Last year we also hosted optional state.

We are required to work at these events. There is no compensation. If we don't work the required number of sessions, money is deducted from our team fee account.

We host two meets a year at our gym. Parents are REQUIRED to work at both meets to fullfill the volunteer hours. We are REQUIRED to give 20 hours a year to the gym. If we do not make the 20 hours then we have to pay 10.00 per hour that is not done.

WOW, so this is very normal to recieve no compensation then? I thought maybe it would go toward a banquet, or pay for coaches fees, or a warm-up, leo etc... just something. What about the entry fee to the hosted meet? It seems almost better to be at a gym that does not host a meet then... at this particular gym we even have to pay the entry fee for the home meet. Work set up, take down & the day that your child is not competing.

I always thought the point of hosting a meet would be to offset some of the costs associated with gymnastics & some part of a parents expenses - I had no idea it was just for gym profit.

many of the gyms in our area ask for between 950 - 1300 (compulsory) for meet/coaches fees, and this particular gym also wants a $300 obligation fee, a $45 registration fee, & a $110 summer fee on top of tuition & warm-ups/leos which is another $330. + Work the meet & work 2 open gyms per year as well. Sheesh! crazy, crazy... :confused:

Last edited:
We host two meets a year,one is a club annual club meet (900 gymmies attend- 3 days), the other a state meet. We do not receive anything directly from the meets but it keeps our team fees low. We are requuired to work 2 to 4 sessions per meet as a family. The money we earn goes into the booster club account and goes towards paying all fees and travel for the coaches.

We pay $650 in team commitment and our girls do 6 to 8 meets per level. At the lower levels where most meets are close, you pay close to all the costs for your gymmies fees. As you go higher and travel more it is quite a deal. The 8's, 9's and 10's have 4 out of state meets per year, plus regionals and nationals.

We also get volunteers from our local college team who use the hours to fullfill their service commitment. I think it is fair,and it has always been this way, although before we got scoreing signs there were alot more hours needed for flashers.

catesmom, does everyone only pay $650 annually - compulsory & optionals? These gyms that I am talking about are much closer to your neck of the woods - and all seem to feed off of one another.

We host 1 compulsory and 1 optional meet per year. Since it is the booster club and not the gym as the host, the booster club keeps all the proceeds. Last year we did have to ask the gym for some extra help(people wise) on the compulsory meet so they did end up with a split on profits. Parents that work get credit for volunteer hours(old gym just made you work the meets---no credit for anything) and if you're a volunteer, you get in free.

So what does the booster club pay for with their profits? Can this go toward meet fees/coaches fees or no? Does the work credit somehow apply to your gymmie, or is the parent responsible to pay more fees if they do not work?

We have volunteer hours to meet each year--25 for compulsory and 30 for optional. So, any time spent setting up/tearing down, working at the meet, bring in food for hospitality etc. all helps you knock off those volunteer hours. The money made from the meet goes into the general booster club fund which pays for team Christmas party and gift for each girl, end of year banquet and awards, team t-shirts etc.

Money made from bingo goes to paying meet/coaches fees and travel expenses for the optional girls.

catesmom, does everyone only pay $650 annually - compulsory & optionals? These gyms that I am talking about are much closer to your neck of the woods - and all seem to feed off of one another.

Yes, from level 4 to level 10 the fee is the same. Thats why we parents all joke that we hope our gymmies stay in long enough for us to reap the benefits. That same $650 a level 4 pays for 6 to 7 meets close to home, takes a level 10 all the way to nationals with no other meet fees. All the money that we make goes to the team account and they do pay for the banquet (gymnasts only not families), and all meet fees and coaches fees including travel. Over the last few years we have done quite well with meets.

The gym meet is held at a local university and we have about 900 girls attend. The booster club makes all money from concessions at that meet. The second meet we host is a state meet and the booster club makes everything including meet fees and admissions. The cost of meets is also high here, the cheapest being $75 and fee running above $100 even for compulsories at the large meets. Also having the meets the way we do, 1 right at the beginning of the season and the state meet at the end before regionals and nationals the cash flow seems to run well for us. It's got to be hard to collect meet fees ongoing through the season. Also all of our meets are mandatory, we don't get to pick which ones we attend.

We host two meets, a compulsory and optional meet and we work both weekends. We get booster club volunteer hours but that is about it. They are lots of fun and important to the gym and the team. Usually gyms that host meets are your better gyms and it is good to be affliliated with those gyms.

I forgot to add that we get a cut from the door entry, sales of flowers and concession and we were able to pay for 1/2 the leotards (competitive) and warm-ups and also the regional and national entry fees for those athletes that qualified from the booster club profits.

Haven't gotten there yet but I can't imagine the costs if everything had to be out of pocket at level 9 and 10. It's hard enough for the families just to pay the travel costs, although the gym owner does make all the arrangements and reservations for gymnasts and parents. But they go to texas, florida, missouri, michigan and whereever regionals and nationals take them. At least 2 major flights in there. I am glad we do the things we do, it would be such a burden on the families otherwise.

DD did compete Level 8 last year.We only did the meets that were close enough to drive.Even the State meet which was about a 7 hour drive.We were lucky regionals was close by.Actually hosted by our gym.Once she gets to level 9 and 10 we might have to reconsider doing some big travel meets.With the gas prices the way they are right now I don't know what we are going to do.

Catesmom,I wisch we were at your gym. We have to pay everything out of our own pocket.

Are you serious? I thought that you guys had a really big program, and a big meet your gym hosts every year??? Nothing gets paid for at all? Entry fee, coaches fee, banquet, leos, USAG fee anything? I just think that seems crazy... btw a coach from your region (he has worked at the training camps) is trying for a spot in our x-gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back