Parents Does your gym Fundraise?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

In Canada, only if it's a charitable organization. Which gyms are not. Our gym puts up ads on the wall, on the webpage, etc for companies that donate, which I think is a pretty good idea.

Depends on the tax status of the gym. We have a very organized parent organization and the gym is also very well organized and run. Gym hosts meets and the parent club hosts meets that are fundraisers towards assessments and distributed to the entire team. Fundraising is technically optional as it has to be for compliance, and there's always those that don't participate. But our fundraising lowers our assessments drastically and I would feel guilty if I didn't participate.

Edited to add - old gym was points system. Working earned points, had to have a total amount by the end of the year or pay $6 per point.

We have a booster club and we have fundraisers. It's not mandatory and it's for stuff you use. Candles for Christmas, wrapping paper, all that stuff. It helps. What our booster club has found though is the people that need it don't do it. Kind of the same idea that was shared in the how to be a good gym parent thread (don't be cgm kinda thing)

and it's for stuff you use. Candles for Christmas, wrapping paper, all that stuff. )
Yeah, I don't "use" candles or over priced wrapping paper. :confused:o_O

I have a 22 yr old and a 10 yr old. Been doing the fundraising thing for going on 13 yrs now. There is not a thing I need to buy.

Thank you everyone for replying. Good to know that I'm not alone- in not liking it but also that some other gyms do the same.

We are not going to participate - it's not mandatory just strongly encouraged. I would have less of an issue if it were going to help offset a personal cost (Leo's, meets, etc) but the owner/coach should plan for the gym equipment expenses on her own.

Our tuition (by level) hasn't gone up in a few years. I think this is because owner/coach is scared of loosing girls to other teams- there are 3 other very good gyms near by and another gym that opened about 18 mths ago that is starting to show promise. It's a tough market- but this kind of stuff just annoys me and makes me more likely to look at those gyms. She also offers discounts if you pay 3 or 6 months in advance. I essentially got almost a free month of tuition by paying 6 months upfront. Maybe perhaps reduce/eliminate that discount and keep a little more revenue?

Again thanks everyone. Fingers crossed that my silent protest doesn't become something bigger. I am waiting for the guilt email of 'look how everyone else participated but you didn't- you must not support the team.' Sigh.

Gym has three meets it hosts a year as its fundraisers including one of the state meets. Team parents are required to work a certain number of sessions, or opt out and pay a fee. If you work more than the requirement, you can get credit for your gym account for some of the coaches fees, travel costs, meet fees etc. I have no problem with this. I like working meets more than selling. They also help parent run group fundraisers, where you sell things and get a direct credit to your account for however much you sell. Participation is optional. No Booster Club. Everyone gets out of it the effort they put into it. Works well.

Candles for Christmas, wrapping paper, all that stuff. It helps. What our booster club has found though is the people that need it don't do it.

Note: this is not a personal attack, just a general observation about this perspective based on my work.

How do you know who "needs" help with competition expenses? Also, the people who truly "need" help are probably in the worst position to participate in these types of fundraisers. They may be busy working at actual jobs, and their friends and family are probably not going to have extra money in their budgets for overpriced candles and wrapping paper.

Old gym operated very similar in that we had to either fundraiser or do a mandatory buyout. To this day I have no idea where all that money went. Never really saw too much new equipment and such.

New gym fundraisers are totally optional and the money each family make sure goes into their own personal account to offsets expenses during the year (meets, tuition, privates, leotards etc). Gym has 2 "gym" fundraisers a year (comedy nights, etc) and we host a meet. This money goes towards equipment and other needed things for the gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back