WAG Doing numbers and small vs. big meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I wouldn't travel a distance to compete against my own team....too expensive! A few years back we were "required" to compete in a meet in Puerto Rico, during Feb vacation so flights were exorbitant...... I looked up results from prior years at this meet and saw that it was basically the host gym and one other level 10 team, every year! I quickly vetoed that boondoggle and so did most of the other 10s in our gym. I'll travel for a good meet but not for something like that.....research past results and see who actually shows up so you'll know if it's worth it.

I think that beam situation needs to be addressed asap. That's crazy!

as for the travel meets, it makes sense for the L9/10 to do a couple separate travel meets so they can experience good competition to prepare for regionals and nationals. Lots of gyms split their teams for meets - having the entire team go to a couple meets together but split the rest of them with the lowers going to more local meets to save on expenses and the upper levels traveling to the larger meets.

So who recommended the fly away meet that only had 2 L10's compete last year? I can see why a couple parents are upset. There is no way I would want the expense OR time to fly away to a meet with virtually no competition. It sounds like someone on the board that is responsible for making the recommendations thought it would a be a fun place to travel to or has relatives there or something….I think I would want to talk about that recommendation amongst the board and perhaps get the board to change the recommendation rather than going ahead and giving it to the coaches. If the board is supposed to be making recommendations for the good of the team, then that should include meets that actually make sense to fly away for.

As it turns out it was the HC that picked the meet. I brought it to HC 's attention and apparently she was not aware of the participants. She picked the state and looked for a meet. She was more concerned about the date. I think the name of the meet sounded like fun. Unfortunately, it can no longer be changed. I personally prefer not to go. But my daughter would be very disappointed and husband is a big advocate of attending all meets. He flew my daughter to meets where she only competed an event or two. Next year, I'll make recommendations.

The beam coach needs to be talked to. I would suggest maybe approaching the HC as a parent rather than a board member. If she is as lacking in experience as you suggest, she really has no business coaching at the upper optional level, at least not right now. Non-gymnasts can be great coaches, but they need a foundation in basic skills first. Much like you wouldn't put a beginner gymnast in level 8. If she is the only option, then the gym needs to be mentoring her and giving her lots of direction as to what is appropriate for this skill level. Helping with lesson plans, appropriate drills and progressions, guidance as to what numbers are appropriate. They also need to be doing in gym training, video training, and sending her to as many coaching clinics as possible. The risk of injury is just too high at that skill level to be messing around. And even a coach with the best intentions but lacking experience needs some solid guidance in that scenario.

As for the meets, I am purposely choosing smaller meets for my kids, but they are first year competitors in Xcel. HC wants me to make their first meet one of the mega meets in our state and I am not sure it's the best choice. But for level 9/10s, bigger meets with greater exposure are important. And if you are going to spend the money to travel all that way, it better be a great meet. I have spent hours researching meets for my Xcel Bronze kids, I'm baffled that a HC of an upper level optional team would just pick something so arbitrarily. Especially with how easy it is to get meet results from previous seasons. I guess you can just try to make the best of it. Make it a vacation where you just happen to have a practice meet.

Reactions: &bs
^^^HC is very protective of the assistant coaches. I've approached the HC in the past and she did not take it very well. HC is very good friends with beam coach. This is also perhaps why the other mothers are afraid. The HC only gets mad and feels like people are just bashing the beam coach. The funny thing is the HC knows the beam coach has no experience. In fact, two, years ago when the beam coach was "temporarily" hired to help with beam, HC assured everyone he was still looking and will find the girls a qualified beam coach. Then all of a sudden word was this coach was getting the beam coach position. Many parents spoke with the gym owner and regional manager. When the HC heard this, he was so upset with the parents. To this day, HC has not said a word to one of the mothers. I don't know how to broach this subject with HC.

The beam coach needs to be talked to. I would suggest maybe approaching the HC as a parent rather than a board member. If she is as lacking in experience as you suggest, she really has no business coaching at the upper optional level, at least not right now. Non-gymnasts can be great coaches, but they need a foundation in basic skills first. Much like you wouldn't put a beginner gymnast in level 8. If she is the only option, then the gym needs to be mentoring her and giving her lots of direction as to what is appropriate for this skill level. Helping with lesson plans, appropriate drills and progressions, guidance as to what numbers are appropriate. They also need to be doing in gym training, video training, and sending her to as many coaching clinics as possible. The risk of injury is just too high at that skill level to be messing around. And even a coach with the best intentions but lacking experience needs some solid guidance in that scenario.

As for the meets, I am purposely choosing smaller meets for my kids, but they are first year competitors in Xcel. HC wants me to make their first meet one of the mega meets in our state and I am not sure it's the best choice. But for level 9/10s, bigger meets with greater exposure are important. And if you are going to spend the money to travel all that way, it better be a great meet. I have spent hours researching meets for my Xcel Bronze kids, I'm baffled that a HC of an upper level optional team would just pick something so arbitrarily. Especially with how easy it is to get meet results from previous seasons. I guess you can just try to make the best of it. Make it a vacation where you just happen to have a practice meet.

^^^HC is very protective of the assistant coaches. I've approached the HC in the past and she did not take it very well. HC is very good friends with beam coach. This is also perhaps why the other mothers are afraid. The HC only gets mad and feels like people are just bashing the beam coach. The funny thing is the HC knows the beam coach has no experience. In fact, two, years ago when the beam coach was "temporarily" hired to help with beam, HC assured everyone he was still looking and will find the girls a qualified beam coach. Then all of a sudden word was this coach was getting the beam coach position. Many parents spoke with the gym owner and regional manager. When the HC heard this, he was so upset with the parents. To this day, HC has not said a word to one of the mothers. I don't know how to broach this subject with HC.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News