WAG Donating Used Gymnastics Equipment

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
Does anyone know of any charities interested in used gymnastics items? Our gym donated some of the leotards we phased out to a gym in Africa, but I am looking for other options (shipping cost may be more than value of items). My now retired gymmie has accumulated more than 20 pairs of grips, more than 50 leotards, heel cups, wrist guards you name it. Trying to find a good home for it all. I asked her head coach, but never got a response. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have not heard of an organization that specifically takes stuff like that. I know that my son's coach travels to his home country, Peru, each year and takes gymnastics stuff back with him. All the boys gave what they had, spare grips etc.

Have you considered donating to a YMCA gymnastics program?
At our Y, when we first started years ago, OG was given a couple leotards that had been donated because we were on scholarship at the Y and someone had donated several specifically for those in need.

I donated all of my old leos to a program in South Africa, but that was over 10 years ago. It was pricey and took forever to get through customs once the package arrived.
Like sce mentioned, some coaches working in the US routinely travel back to their home countries and will take supplies with them. When I was looking to donate someone put me in contact with a coach who frequently traveled to South Africa to try to coordinate but it didn't work out. If you don't have any international coaches at your gym, you could check out some other local clubs. Are you in Virginia? I believe a coach at one of the NoVa gyms has ties to Jamaican gymnastics, not sure if they have any need for donations. I'm sure there are tons of other coaches with international connections.
There are also some non-profit programs in the US that work to make gymnastics available to all athletes. The Wendy Hilliard Foundation is one (https://www.wendyhilliard.org) but there could be others.

DD gym has a huge interest Jamaican gymnastics. I give Dani's old small Leos to families in need at her gym. Sometimes it is hard for her to let go, but it is another good lesson gymnastics teaches.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back