WAG Dorsal Wrist Impingement

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

stantalonesdc

Proud Parent
Hi,

Does anyone has experience with dorsal wrist impingement syndrome?

We’ve been working with doctors for 7 months to uncover the root of our daughter’s wrist pain on the back of her hand, thumb side while in extension/hyperextenison (done cast, brace, PT, OT, acupuncture, chiropractor, deep tissue massage, etc). It isn’t growth plate (originally suspected but fully healed yet no change in symptoms).

She’s been off it / no bars, vault, handstands, tumbling since Dec, and we’d like to get this solved for life (and hopefully gymnastics).

On PT last week mentioned impingement and we came across the info below and also a published research article on dorsal wrist capsular impingement and arthroscopic surgery to take care of it.

Would love to hear from any parents / coaches / anyone who has come across this with a gymnast.

Headed back to the orthopedist in a few weeks to discuss this possibility (or rule it out) and would love to have talked with anyone who has been down this road before.

Thanks!

Pain on the back of your wrist? It may be “Dorsal Wrist Impingement Syndrome”
April 13, 2017

Written by: Dr. Joseph Schreiber

It’s not uncommon that I see a patient who complains of pain along the back side of the wrist, which is worse (and usually only present) when the wrist is fully extended (or bent backwards). These individuals feel a pinching discomfort in the wrist while doing activities such as yoga, pushups, or simply lifting themselves from a chair.

There are several conditions that can cause this pain, such as a small (occult) ganglion cyst, tendinitis, ligament injuries, or something called dorsal wrist impingement syndrome. In dorsal wrist impingement syndrome, the capsule (joint lining) becomes thickened and gets pinched in the back of the joint when the wrist is extended. Specifically, the capsule is pinched between the extensor carpi radialis brevis tendon and the scaphoid bone.

My daughter had this. After casting for 6 weeks and 6 more weeks of OT, the best thing we found to keep it at bay was a skilled chiropractor who adjusts her wrists weekly. She hasn't had any significant further issues, but it is def something we actively manage to prevent further issues.

I am interested in more about this also. I had not considered this, but after 10 weeks of non use (bracing and casting) of my DD's wrist for a stress fracture in her growth plate, she still has significant pain with full extension. We are spending the next few days with aleve, ice, and slow trying of some activities (no gym this week), to rule out soft tissue issues, but her pain does not seem to be getting better. This is something I will be asking her doctor about!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back