Double back somersault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ponyshine

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
Hi

Could anyone give advice on how to learn to do a double back somersault. At my club we don't have a foam pit.

Lots of drills uphill onto stacked mats and soft cheese mat/wedge on top. You can't do enough & the mats can't get too high.... Well, they could, but many never reach "too high".

Many other things to be working with this set up:
Drills for rotation, strength, speed, etc. and never stop working round offs.

Thanks for this.
Unfortunately the club I go to is really the only one in our area. I really like the club, but it's not really got the facilities & coaches necessary for learning high level skills...but I've always wanted to learn to do double backs - we have done some preps for them though :)

if you have a mini tramp, set a block and work snap downs. so snap down onto the mini tramp (after bouncing to handstand), rebound to stick on an 8 incher or portapit. eventually work back tuck, pike, layout, etc. 1 1/4's.

not something i would do without a spotter who will eventually bump spot you to rotate the 2nd. get a tall spotter.

if you have a mini tramp, set a block and work snap downs. so snap down onto the mini tramp (after bouncing to handstand), rebound to stick on an 8 incher or portapit. eventually work back tuck, pike, layout, etc. 1 1/4's.

not something i would do without a spotter who will eventually bump spot you to rotate the 2nd. get a tall spotter.

Thanks for this.
What is a an 8 incher & a portapit?

O...M...G...pick another skill already. the life you save could be your own.:)

Thanks for your advice :)
You're right - I'm not planning to try the skill without proper preparation, but I'm wanting to get tips on how I can get closer to doing a double back. But I'm not wanting to do anything that will put anyone at risk. :)

IMO, a double back is NOT something that you should try learning without a coach. As others have said above, you should find a place that has the coaches and equipment to teach you this. It doesn't have to be a pit; in fact, a spotting belt is better. Assuming the spotter knows how to belt spot, it's virtually guaranteed that you won't get hurt in the belt.

O...M...G...pick another skill already. the life you save could be your own.:)

Yes!!! Please do not teach this to yourself, and don't try to learn this skill from a coach who has no experience teaching them! Double backs are ONLY for mentally "tight" athletes who have trained them over and over and over and over with a competent coach! One mistake could cost you your quality of life. This is not a joke. Double backs are serious business. Stay safe.

IMO, a double back is NOT something that you should try learning without a coach. As others have said above, you should find a place that has the coaches and equipment to teach you this. It doesn't have to be a pit; in fact, a spotting belt is better. Assuming the spotter knows how to belt spot, it's virtually guaranteed that you won't get hurt in the belt.

that should be reasonably, not virtually. "within a reasonable degree of professional certainty". there are no virtual guarantees. :)

Thanks people.
Don't worry, I'm not going to try it without proper training.

What I have done previously is, using a trampet, pilling up mats & doing back summis onto the mats & then increasing the height of the mats. I then do the sommersault onto my back, so that I'm doing 1 and 1/4.

What is a spotter belt? :)
Thanks

Where in the UK are you? It's only a small country, and there's usually somewhere within an hours drive you can find with full equipment etc...

You could look for acro clubs too- they sometimes do tumbling and have an air track at least, if not a proper tumble track..

Do you have access to a resi? Use that if you can. Stack mats up to around chest height and do ro/bhs/back tuck (on the regular floor, not with a trampoline). Then start doing the same thing but over rotate to your back.

The best place to try it is onto an in ground resi mat and with a spot.

Honestly, as a coach, I think if I didn't have access to a pit, a tramp, or a spotting belt, I wouldn't teach double backs at all. It's just not worth the risk. Much safer to get that same difficulty value from twisting and/or connections.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but that's my 2 cents.

Honestly, as a coach, I think if I didn't have access to a pit, a tramp, or a spotting belt, I wouldn't teach double backs at all. It's just not worth the risk. Much safer to get that same difficulty value from twisting and/or connections.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but that's my 2 cents.

Ok - thanks!
Better to be safe than sorry :)
I've just got a little bored with doing single back somersaults...I'll just have to make do with trying other skills :)
I do feel like I have a lot of height with my single backs, so that;s what made me curious about trying doubles :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back