Coaches Double backs off tumble track into the pit.......

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sevenatenine2

Coach
Proud Parent
I have a few girls that are Level 4 or XCEL Gold and planning on competing Level 6 next year.

Their favorite thing to do these days is tumble into the pit and they all have really strong round off, back handspring, back tucks on the floor, and in to the pit. They can do the back tuck to their back on the tramp and into the pit and are itching to try doubles. I think they could do it, as they are having to slow themselves down and kick out of the 1 and 1/2. That said.....I have been so hesitant to let them try. I can't spot them in the pit and I know it's "just a pit" but I'm worried to just let them try it. I'd like to work on their flipping because we'd like to begin training Tsuks soon as well, but I'm just hesitant. When do you let your girls begin these?

What other drills have you done for double backs? I personally do not think doing double backs off the tumble track into the pit it a great way to introduce this skill. The problem with tumbling into the pit is that they are tumbling downhill, this sort of start could be detrimental to the learning process. Ideally tumbling training should be done up hill.

Do you have a resi pit? Can they back tuck from the track up to the resi? Can they back layout from the pit up to the resi? If not forget doubles for now. If they can back tuck to miss their feet and land on their back on the resi followed by a backward roll.

What other drills have you done for double backs? I personally do not think doing double backs off the tumble track into the pit it a great way to introduce this skill. The problem with tumbling into the pit is that they are tumbling downhill, this sort of start could be detrimental to the learning process. Ideally tumbling training should be done up hill.

Do you have a resi pit? Can they back tuck from the track up to the resi? Can they back layout from the pit up to the resi? If not forget doubles for now. If they can back tuck to miss their feet and land on their back on the resi followed by a backward roll.
Stack mats and put a wedge on top.
Go tuck back to back and then back roll down wedge...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back