WAG Double Backs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NutterButter

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
I'm curious about double backs on floor. How common are they in L9? How long did it take your DD/DS to get it on floor after getting it on tramp? Is this skill like flipping vaults where drills and various combinations of mat stacking go on for a long time before it's ready?

DD and another teammate are aggressively training it now. To hear her talk, she will have it sooner than later. Each week she makes progress with it - either on a different surface or mat combo or with less spot. This skill seems so scary to me! I'm kinda freaking out about it. There are a handful of skills that I think look so scary and because of DD's later start in the sport I never imagined she would get this far. But here I am. (The other skills that freak me out are back tuck on beam which she competed in L8, gainers which she's training, yurchenkos which she has and single bar release which I will never have to worry about).

I don't know if DD will be L8 or L9 next season. Her teammate who is also training them will for sure be L9. My DD is working other tumbling passes that can be used for L9 too so I'm just wondering what everyone's experience is with double backs.

My dd was a level 9 last year and her first pass was a double pike. We didn't see double back/double pike a lot. It isn't a bonus in level 9. So many kids don't risk putting it in since it doesn't help but can lead to deductions.
She had worked on them at her old gym very rarely but once we switched gyms she worked them a ton. Switched in may and she was landing them on the floor by end of July. Now they weren't perfect then but she was at least landing them.
I never worried about watching her floor routine until last year. That skill freaked me out! But honestly having a year of competing it has her more than ready to do level 10.
We saw more double back/pike at nationals but still didn't seem to be the norm

Maybe it's regional, but I disagree that they are common in L9. Certainly at regionals and nationals you see more double backs but I think they are the exception rather than the rule.

It was not common in 9 here. I only paid attention because my daughter did one. Sometimes there were 1-2 other girls and sometimes there weren't any. St regionals we saw some. I honestly don't know how long it took to train. It is certainly scary watching it in the beginning, but then they go on to scarier things and you wonder why you were ever scared of the double-back!

Double backs are easy.

ROBHS with sufficient power for a double Back? That's another story.

If she has it solidly on trampoline and has a sufficiently powerful ROBHS, I wouldn't be too worried.

My ds had one on tramp for about a year before the coach ever let him attempt it on floor. he did it isolated on tramp, then off the tumbl trak into the pit, to the airfloor into the pit, then to the resi onto a mat, and finally on the floor. This was at L8, and then he was injured. Coming back, it only took a few months for him to have it consistently on the floor. Now working double lay.

not sure about how many L9 girls do that. It is pretty common for L9 boys.

Double backs are easy.

ROBHS with sufficient power for a double Back? That's another story.

If she has it solidly on trampoline and has a sufficiently powerful ROBHS, I wouldn't be too worried.
This comment hit a point I was wondering about. We have a number of 9s training the DB, but some are doing it out of a round off and others like DD are training out of BHS. What is more common and is there a preference?

Most of our 9s are training DBs, but few are competing.

Thanks everyone for your comments! I don't think double backs are common in my region, but maybe I'm wrong. And I didn't realize there is no bonus (that's another thing I don't understand).

This makes me feel better. She is currently working it out of a ROBHS. She's doing it both on airfloor into pit and on a resi onto a mat. It's been since mid-June that she got it on tramp so her progression has been fast (especially for her). But her ROBHS has always been powerful. And I think she's pretty solid with it on tramp...she told me that she's 'bored' doing them sometimes.

OK, so I will try to relax and see where this goes.:cool:

Not sure how common but my DD L7 has been training them on tramp for a year and just recently started working it into the pit and other surfaces.

My daughter (Competing L9 this year) never worked them on the trampoline. She worked them into the pit and then they added mats and at the moment she can do it onto two mats in the pit so she's close to putting it on the floor. She started working on these in early June.

One of three L9s at our old gym competed a double back last year. From what I remember of the home meet I worked it seemed to be less than 33% overall. We are a weaker region though.

Reactions: sce
The majority of our repeating level 9s compete them I believe. Our 3 new level 9s will be competing them this season as well.

My 9 year old will be competing l9 this season and started to word double backs on tramp this past season. They moved them to floor this summer and everyone on her team as them ready to compete in the spring!

My daughter isn't even close and she's going into L9. She's doing a double full. Those are more common and easier right? Isn't a double something required for 9?

A C skill is required for 9 and that requirement can be fulfilled by a number of skills. Isn't a double full a D like the DB? The D is allowable in L9, but not required. I think some girls are natural twisters. My DD would say a DB is easier than a double full.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back